News Article: Bill Spaulding to be named as new Devils play-by-play announcer

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He reminds me a lot of the Kings play by play announcer that took over for Bob Miller about 5 years ago. I think his name is Alex something.

He also kind of reminds me of the guy that used to do play by play for I think the Oilers and Canadian national brodcasts? I can't even remember if he worked for TSN or SportsNet, but I don't think he's around anymore, as I haven't heard him in close to a decade.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
He reminds me a lot of the Kings play by play announcer that took over for Bob Miller about 5 years ago. I think his name is Alex something.

He also kind of reminds me of the guy that used to do play by play for I think the Oilers and Canadian national brodcasts? I can't even remember if he worked for TSN or SportsNet, but I don't think he's around anymore, as I haven't heard him in close to a decade.
Alex Faust. Funny story. I grew up a avid sim racer as a teenager and we ran opposing teams for 3 or 4 yrs he was a good buddy for a while. He always recorded the replays of the races and commentated over them he had the talent way back at 15/16 yrs old. Glad he did something with it

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
cangialosi.jpg

Big shoes to fill

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
As good as that clip was, it’s hard to judge him solely off that. There is so much more to a NHL broadcast. The camaraderie with Dano and the other broadcasters. How will he conduct interviews and fan interactions? Wish him the best.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Whats his nickname?

Everyone knows the most important thing for an announcer is his nickname.

We've had Doc, Chico, Dano, Cangi.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Alex Faust. Funny story. I grew up a avid sim racer as a teenager and we ran opposing teams for 3 or 4 yrs he was a good buddy for a while. He always recorded the replays of the races and commentated over them he had the talent way back at 15/16 yrs old. Glad he did something with it
Wasn't he the guy Alex Trebek supposedly said he wanted or approved of taking over his spot on Jeopardy?

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
When Doc left the Devils and Cangy took the reigns, I wasn't trilled about it at the time but at least Cangy had done radio play-by-play for years and he had that fiery voice. That was important so the transition was rather smooth.
Spaulding seems to have that intensity in his voice which is what you want as a fan.
It can be worse. Imagine having to listen to that boring oldie Sam Rosen for a full season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad