Bill Scott new assistant GM

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
From the Oilers Nation article:
http://oilersnation.com/2014/4/21/a-busy-morning

Hard to tell - but there may have been some good reasons.
Interesting article from Willis. There have been many CBA blunders during his time here that were embarrassing to the organization. If they really were Olczyk's fault then the question has to be asked, why was he allowed to continue for seven years? What took so long to pull the plug on him? Same thing can be asked about Tambellini. I don't mind the Oilers using him as this years sacrificial lamb but it just means that it was yet another bad hire in a long list of bad hires by Kevin Lowe. For all those of you that think Kevin Lowe has no direct impact on the performance of this team, here's a good example of how it does. Time for him to fall on his own sword too.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Also, Scott has previous NHL GM experience. He interned under Poile in Nashville while Shero was still there, and he's only 33.
The fact that he is so young is good for as. As an assistant GM he can slowly learn how to be a GM so if there is a time we can MacT we will have someone competent to either take over or hold interim while we look for the PROPER replacement.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Bill Scott's first big test? Sounds like he'll be part of negotiations on Justin Schultz if he's doing contracts.

VayaConDios

Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
I was pumping his tires in the barons or the prospects thread so kudos to my keen eye and congrats to bill scott on the promotion.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
From the Oilers Nation article:
http://oilersnation.com/2014/4/21/a-busy-morning

Hard to tell - but there may have been some good reasons.

ok, fair enough. thanks for that. I'm just so jaded and beaten down I think negatively first on almost everything Oilers' management does. While I am loathe to use the word hate, there truly isn't another word available to describe my feelings for Lowe now. It is very possible (even probable) he has permanently damaged (and maybe ruined) my team and killed my passion for the NHL. I can barely the playoffs. it just makes me sick. rather watch Game of Thrones.

a good move? maybe, probably. How much of a difference will it make? If Lowe remains, absolutely zero.

I can't get excited about managerial moves until I see the press conference for Lowe's announcement that he is resigning. just stepping away or down won't be enought because that could mean he is still employed by the the Oilers.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
There is no reason to do anything beyond 2 years at 2.25M for Schultz. Not nearly good enough yet to warrant a huge payday.

I like this move. Seems to be rewarding talent and eliminating someone who made too many mistakes.

Hockey Monkey

Oct 4, 2011
Kind of sucks for the Barons...he's been pretty awesome here.

He's definitely more of a "sports professional" rather than an ex athlete, sort of like Doug Armstrong or Brendan Rodgers. This is purely anecdotal but it seems like those guys have a higher hit rate.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Loved when the Barons hired him, love that he now works for the Oilers. Has a great hockey mind and was touted as a big up and comer before coming to the barons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad