Bill Peters may (or may not) have been fired as Flames' HC (READ POST #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Um how t do you "prove" this? This is what gets defenders of guys like Peters so excited there isn't a video tape from 10 years ago taping each and every moment.

Other players corroborate the story aliu told. What more do you want than this?

Explain your threshold for "proof".

So if I come out and say 10 years ago on the street you physically abused me. Would you not want me to show proof or if there were witnesses? Really? You don’t think people Falsely cause others of wrong doing? Do you live in a perfect world?

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
All the other players that collaborated and even added to his (Aliu) story isn't enough proof?

It sure is. My comments were before the story was vouched for by others. But people claiming that he was guilty from the get go need to understand not every accusation is real or true.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
I can’t understand how this guy has not been fired.
His N-word comments are bad enough.
I know his n-word comments was referring to the music and not Aliu but still it was racist.
What’s even worse than that he physically abused a player.
This guy actually kicked a player in the head.
HE KICKED A PLAYER IN THE HEAD.
How does this guy still have a job? Why would anyone hire him?

It boggles my mind that a coach physically kicking someone in the head is not enough.
I think they’re just going through an official process with the lawyers and investigation and such in order to terminate his contract without compensation or at least reach a settlement. I suspect that is the only hold up.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I think if Peters has apologized, the other two players who verified Akim’s account would have mentioned it to reporters at the time. Numerous players, including the former team captain were contacted and no one has come to Peters’ defense. Peters’ credibility here could also not be any less substantive at this point. Akim was clear that if Peters had apologized to him, that he would have moved on. I don’t see any reason to doubt him. What motivation would he have to bring this up ten years later otherwise? Peters was punching and kicking players as late as in his Carolina Hurricanes stint, which Brind’Amour confirmed. This does not sound like a changed man.

Sure, Peters could be lying about his apology but that certainly can be independently verified, which is what I assume would be happening in the interim.

I mean, it's just silly to pass judgement on that when we may not have the complete story.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think they’re just going through an official process with the lawyers and investigation and such in order to terminate his contract without compensation or at least reach a settlement. I suspect that is the only hold up.
They can fire him at any time. Just need to pay out the remainder of the contract.

Flames have likely reached out to 3 or so employment law lawyers to find out if based on the contract Peters has if they have any grounds to terminate him with cause. Waiting on them to reply. Lawyers are not just going to drop what they are doing to respond to this matter and the flames would want the opinion of people who are well versed on the subject matter so they have to wait.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
Sure, Peters could be lying about his apology but that certainly can be independently verified, which is what I assume would be happening in the interim.

I mean, it's just silly to pass judgement on that when we may not have the complete story.
We have a pretty full picture at this point. Akim was clear about it. Multiple former teammates were interviewed. No one has defended Peters. I have no reason to doubt Akim at this point and every reason not to trust Peters. Believe what you want.

Reactions: North

cobra427

May 6, 2012
They can fire him at any time. Just need to pay out the remainder of the contract.

Flames have likely reached out to 3 or so employment law lawyers to find out if based on the contract Peters has if they have any grounds to terminate him with cause. Waiting on them to reply. Lawyers are not just going to drop what they are doing to respond to this matter and the flames would want the opinion of people who are well versed on the subject matter so they have to wait.
It would be very difficult to make it stick in court, firing with cause. I suspect the Flames could try and use that angle to get out of his contract but it won't work. Step 1 is deciding weather to keep him or not? Likely they can negotiate a buy out but Peters could dig his heals in, he would win this in court and get paid his full contract IMHO.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
And this is why racism occurs. Its ok for one to do it but not the other.
Racism doesn't care if its a coach, towel boy, players etc... Its still racism. Players have been racist and they still played. If Bill gets fired for his comment about the music then those players who were previously caught slinging racial slurs toward other players should be waived and banned from playing.
Racism is racism.
Fine by me if racists are kicked out of the league but again missing my point. The demands on coaching are different than the demands on players. I agree that racism from anyone should be unacceptable but it's even worse coming from the leader of the team who wields tremendous power over the players. Thus it isn't automatically wrong for coaches to be held to a different standard than the one players are held to.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
So if I come out and say 10 years ago on the street you physically abused me. Would you not want me to show proof or if there were witnesses? Really? You don’t think people Falsely cause others of wrong doing? Do you live in a perfect world?

There is "proof" Brindamour noted the incidents took place, the entire team saw it. Aliu isnt talking about suing him or pressing charges he just said this is what he did. Because Peters is such a scumbag of a human being this isnt a surprise to no one even if he didnt have a video recording from 10 years ago in the dressing room of an AHL squad.

Reactions: Futures Passed

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
We have a pretty full picture at this point. Akim was clear about it. Multiple former teammates were interviewed. No one has defended Peters. I have no reason to doubt Akim at this point and every reason not to trust Peters. Believe what you want.

It seems odd that Peters would blatantly lie if it would be recanted by all players. I mean, you’re probably right but I’ll wait until the process concludes.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Peters has admitted the use of the slur. Additional info has come out about his behavior. I realize Calgary wants to get out of paying him, but there is no way they can retain him as coach at this point. They might as well get out in front of this and announce that he is done and they will try to can him for just cause and then work out a settlement or fight it out in court. I doubt Peters wants to see this go to court.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
There is "proof" Brindamour noted the incidents took place, the entire team saw it. Aliu isnt talking about suing him or pressing charges he just said this is what he did. Because Peters is such a ******* of a human being this isnt a surprise to no one even if he didnt have a video recording from 10 years ago in the dressing room of an AHL squad.

If that is in fact true, that looks horrible on them. I realize Ron Francis (who is looking really bad right now) was informed, but if he did absolutely nothing, then the players should have spoken out. Guys like Faulk & Staal who were in no danger of being sent down to the minors and really had nothing to lose. Its no longer a team issue if management does nothing about it - the players should have stepped up to the plate. At least inform the NHLPA and have them make it public, without naming names.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Peters has admitted the use of the slur. Additional info has come out about his behavior. I realize Calgary wants to get out of paying him, but there is no way they can retain him as coach at this point. They might as well get out in front of this and announce that he is done and they will try to can him for just cause and then work out a settlement or fight it out in court. I doubt Peters wants to see this go to court.

I think the fact that they've taken him off the bench shows he's done there. I don't think they deserve to be criticized for taking their time on the official termination. There's no need to rush this.

Reactions: Naturaledge

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Not my point

It was literally your point. You called it hypocritical that society accepts that word in song lyrics. I explained why it is not hypocritical and why it is completely reasonable for the context of a word to change depending on who says it.

This is a very straightforward and well understood concept. It smells like you just want to be contrarian.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Sounds like Aliu is a hero bringing to light what a piece of **** Peters is and asking nothing of anyone.
Maybe, but its too early to tell where this is headed. I'm sure the Aliu stories will start surfacing soon too, if you want to talk about POS.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
There is "proof" Brindamour noted the incidents took place, the entire team saw it. Aliu isnt talking about suing him or pressing charges he just said this is what he did. Because Peters is such a ******* of a human being this isnt a surprise to no one even if he didnt have a video recording from 10 years ago in the dressing room of an AHL squad.

I’m not defending him after I saw that players came out and said it did happen. You’re the type of person that see something and automatically assumes is true?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I’m not defending him after I saw that players came out and said it did happen. You’re the type of person that see something and automatically assumes is true?

Youre the type of person that sees something and automatically assumes its false/looking for payday/wants attention/couldnt cut it in the big league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad