Bill Haslam set to join Predators ownership group

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Porter, out of curiosity, would you be this up in arms over Ovechkin if he was a player on the Preds?
Tell me about Ovechkin, then. Yes, if he's got those kinds of issues, obviously.

Anyway, I don't see how this is "up in arms". The dude has some disgusting beliefs, I don't understand why people want to look away or sugarcoat those. Like I said before in this thread, if none of it touches the Preds, great, it better not, but... why are people so touchy about just pointing them out????

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
... why are people so touchy about just pointing them out????

The way I see it is that there's nothing accomplished by talking about it on HF. We're such a niche community here that there's no pull at all. Maybe if a Facebook or Twitter group collectively agreed to voice their opinion towards the team it could get some attention, but not us.

And we've lost a ton of great posters and conversation over the years even before COVID hit. Then the COVID thread was incredibly revealing, I myself was guilty of crossing a line of good taste more than once there. All of that accomplished nothing but to divide us up and push some more of us away. I'd like to avoid that again if possible.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The way I see it is that there's nothing accomplished by talking about it on HF. We're such a niche community here that there's no pull at all. Maybe if a Facebook or Twitter group collectively agreed to voice their opinion towards the team it could get some attention, but not us.

And we've lost a ton of great posters and conversation over the years even before COVID hit. Then the COVID thread was incredibly revealing, I myself was guilty of crossing a line of good taste more than once there. All of that accomplished nothing but to divide us up and push some more of us away. I'd like to avoid that again if possible.
I dunno, I don't see how any kind of "dividing" along these lines would be a bad thing? I don't value this site or chatting with anybody here more than I value fundamental human rights. If there are bigots here, I'd like to know so I don't have to waste my time interacting with them, and if it somehow pushes them away (don't see how it could, they can just ignore me too), then so much the better. :dunno:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I dunno, I don't see how any kind of "dividing" along these lines would be a bad thing? I don't value this site or chatting with anybody here more than I value fundamental human rights. If there are bigots here, I'd like to know so I don't have to waste my time interacting with them, and if it somehow pushes them away (don't see how it could, they can just ignore me too), then so much the better. :dunno:
I'd rather be able to chat with people despite such differences, if only to be able to provide a useful counterexample of some of their probable misapprehensions. :)

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
The only reason there is even a discussion over the ownership change is specifically because it is Bill Haslam. If it were John Doe and we had no idea who he/she was or believed in then no one would even care. On the other hand when you have a guy who is absolutely aligned against something the league openly supports then how do you reconcile that? Especially if you personally support what the league is all about.

With all of that said... Will the Preds lose fans over this? Probably not, or if they do it will not be a sufficient quantity for it to matter. I doubt they gain fans because of Haslam and his beliefs but crazier things have happened.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Haslam’s comments on his views.

"It's about performance on the ice or performance off the ice, period," Haslam said. "Everything else is kind of extraneous to the topic."

Not sure if that eases anyone’s apprehension or not but that’s what the man said.

Reactions: AintLifeGrand

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
You might be right. Next season might also be one where we have folks protesting Haslam at Pride night.
Meanwhile everyone else will just roll their eyes and worry about the hockey game. The owners will gladly take their money and stick it in their pockets just like on any other night.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Meanwhile everyone else will just roll their eyes and worry about the hockey game. The owners will gladly take their money and stick it in their pockets just like on any other night.

Hah no shit. The same can be said about basically anything so why even discuss it.

I would add that if a no name person was the title of this thread it wouldn't have 5 pages of posts (at least based on my settings). There's a reason for that.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Haslam’s comments on his views.

"It's about performance on the ice or performance off the ice, period," Haslam said. "Everything else is kind of extraneous to the topic."

Not sure if that eases anyone’s apprehension or not but that’s what the man said.
I think EVERYBODY can agree that you can never trust any politician based on just what they say. Doesn't matter what side of the aisle they sit on or what their personal beliefs are. They are all the same in that respect at least. So the proof is going to be in the pudding, he has to walk that walk before anybody can ever believe it.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Porter, I think the point is, you are making a moral judgement on his character, which implies good vs evil, and others are willing to separate his views from his role as an owner. Some don't agree his views are immoral. Can't we agree to disagree and move on to his impact as an owner in making us a better hockey team?

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Wow, do you agree with Haslam's personal beliefs then? Because yikes if so.

And if not.... wtf is wrong with holding him accountable for them????
wow how dare someone be a Committed Christian ... (says the secular humanist)

Tell me about Ovechkin, then. Yes, if he's got those kinds of issues, obviously.

Anyway, I don't see how this is "up in arms". The dude has some disgusting beliefs, I don't understand why people want to look away or sugarcoat those. Like I said before in this thread, if none of it touches the Preds, great, it better not, but... why are people so touchy about just pointing them out????
Disgusting beliefs? Ever heard of nuance? Just because he has one view of the concept of marriage, doesn't mean that he treats those with a different vision/sexual preference with disrespect or contempt.

I believe in a Christian definition of marriage , however I am still capable of having healthy and positive relationships with those that don't. I respect their opinion and don't demonize them as individuals for their beliefs.

This brash reaction to anything that contradicts this Neo-liberal post modernist world view and labels as an "enemy" is really damaging to community.

Reactions: hockey diva

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Porter, I think the point is, you are making a moral judgement on his character, which implies good vs evil, and others are willing to separate his views from his role as an owner. Some don't agree his views are immoral. Can't we agree to disagree and move on to his impact as an owner in making us a better hockey team?
Hey man, don't get him... I mean me... started on the immorality side of it. If anybody doesn't agree that his views are immoral, uh, we better not go there because that is just beyond comprehension. :eek3::oops::oops:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Almlst No one cares, really they don't. All people are worried about is if the team is good or not.
It's funny; I kind of both care and don't care. On the one hand, I do not like the guy and what he stands for. On the other hand, his nonsense is exceedingly unlikely to substantially affect the Preds, so there's no real need for me to get worked up about it; he can go and be wrong to his heart's content so long as he doesn't f*** up my team. ;)

cynicalcitizen

Feb 6, 2014
I'm kind of curious what positions and stances Haslam have taken that are so egregious. My entire memory of Haslam as Mayor of Knoxville and Governor of Tennessee is that he did everything possible to never take a stance on any issue. I always assumed he was planning to run for President and wanted no record that could be presented against him. I can't recall him ever stepping near any controversy.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm kind of curious what positions and stances Haslam have taken that are so egregious. My entire memory of Haslam as Mayor of Knoxville and Governor of Tennessee is that he did everything possible to never take a stance on any issue. I always assumed he was planning to run for President and wanted no record that could be presented against him. I can't recall him ever stepping near any controversy.
From my perspective, it's LGBT+ related.

Reactions: LCPreds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad