Bill Haslam set to join Predators ownership group

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Deserves its own thread...

EDIT: Haslam joining existing ownership group with plan to become majority owner over time...

fecCH9Z.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: predhead1

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Until it's settled, I think we'll see an uptick in stupid relocation comments. Heck, I'm even seeing several Knoxville comments, though I assume most of those are in jest.
Oh we are going to see some wild stuff. However, there is no way Betteman is going to let this team move.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Any idea if he's REALLY worth that much or is this another one of those Arizona Coyotes ownership type deals where there's no liquid capital?
No idea, he was part owner in the Pilot/Flying J business so it wouldn't shock me if he has that kind of money.

My biggest questions...

Is he buying 100% or just a controlling interest?

This has to be in the works for a while, did it have any impact on holding up a Forsberg signing?
Sounds like 100% but that's just going into how it's being reported. Think if it was just a majority share they would be saying that.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
My biggest questions...

Is he buying 100% or just a controlling interest?

This has to be in the works for a while, did it have any impact on holding up a Forsberg signing?
I feel like it's not uncommon for teams in the midst of a sale to freeze personnel moves, as it ultimately shifts the assets/obligations involved, but that's just anecdotally from some past instances I recall and may not be a standard thing.

He has that kind of money.

Trotz buys a house in Nashville. Preds being sold. Hmmmm.
Trotz coming in to the FO and replacing Poile in the next few years would be very Preds.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Can't believe someone seriously asked if that meant the Preds were going to be moved to Ohio. :facepalm:
Oy gevalt. Wrong Haslam. And even that Haslam doesn't seem to be quick to relocate teams given his vital role in #SaveTheCrew.

If he does, y'all are welcome anytime, but I'm not holding my breath. ;)

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Given the Haslams history with the Browns and UT football I’m going to say this is not a good thing.

Reactions: You

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah I know but still the same family. Bill did have a lot to do with the UT football debacle with Schiano/Pruitt/etc.
I mean just cause you are in the same family doesn't mean you are the same. My brother and I are completely different people.

I don't have an issue with the UT thing, none of those guys should have even sniffed a coaching job at UT.

Reactions: Viqsi

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Could the delay with the Forsberg situation be that the old ownership wouldn't want to pay his signing bonus if they were in the process of selling the team, and just wanted the new ownership to pick up the tab?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Could the delay with the Forsberg situation be that the old ownership wouldn't want to pay his signing bonus if they were in the process of selling the team, and just wanted the new ownership to pick up the tab?
I mean could be but there is no real way to know.

Could also be that Haslam has told them not to sign any big contracts until it's done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoresberg

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Any idea if he's REALLY worth that much or is this another one of those Arizona Coyotes ownership type deals where there's no liquid capital?
Absolutely has that kind of money. Pilot is one of the biggest truck stops in the country. A big chunk is also scheduled to be sold off to Berkshire Hathaway in 2023.

I believe his daughter is also married to Rob McCabe, founder of Pinnacle, so I imagine he’s got some stake in that as well.

I actually like this. He wanted to buy the Titans a few years ago. I like one local guy owning the majority of the team.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I agree it will probably be a net positive to have a single owner. Although I wouldnt be surprised if Wilson and Woo kept their minority shares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad