Former Bruins Bill Guerin

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I was a freshman in high school.

My dad was in and out of jail and my mom took a second job working nights.

My sister and I would be at home and I’d watch the games. Those were dark days for the Bruins and for me.
I feel you bro, the B's were always there for an escape from the dark days and they still are today. Of course, it's even better when they're winning.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Was reffing a youth tournament about 8-10 years back and as usual, was introducing myself to the coaches. Shook the hand of a coach of a New York team, really, REALLY firm handshake, and after I introduce myself, I hear "Billy Guerin". Piercing eyes, and an obvious focus, but those were the only two words I heard from him all game. Was very intense, but was very reserved on the bench, at least toward the officials.

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Dude I thought something bad happened to him.

Never took a night off, tough as nails, really nice guy when I met him at the wives carnival.

It might but I though Looch was connected to the trade that brought us Cam

More Stan Chistov! I actually have a photo with him.
I sure loved those Wives carnivals, they were great for being able to spend time have photos taken with favorite players. Billy Guerin was a gritty player who was a complete player. 41 goals in 66 games during the 2001-02 season was not too shabby. Wish he was with the Bruins longer.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I may be the biggest Guerin fan on this board, loved him as a player before he became a Bruin and was over-the-moon when he got traded to Boston. After Bourque and Neely, he's my favorite Bruin of what I would call my "pre-lockout era" (1990-2004). Big, fast, skilled, and tough. One of the premier power forwards of his era.

I remember being rotted when I found out he never even received an offer from the Bruins when he left for Dallas. That was what was published I have no idea if that was true or not but at the time for me it was definitely true.

But frankly a lot of my Guerin love comes from NHL video games. I basically played NHL 98 on the original Playstation from the time I got it in late 1997 until I upgraded to a new PC in late 2004. My main glitch goal was using right-handed shots and Guerin was my teams best right-handed shooter so he would go off when I would play my friends, they would literally get upset at all the goals Guerin would score on them. As his Bruins career was pretty short I think this is where a lot of my affection for Bill Guerin comes from. The legend of NHL 98!

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I may be the biggest Guerin fan on this board, loved him as a player before he became a Bruin and was over-the-moon when he got traded to Boston. After Bourque and Neely, he's my favorite Bruin of what I would call my "pre-lockout era" (1990-2004). Big, fast, skilled, and tough. One of the premier power forwards of his era.

I remember being rotted when I found out he never even received an offer from the Bruins when he left for Dallas. That was what was published I have no idea if that was true or not but at the time for me it was definitely true.

But frankly a lot of my Guerin love comes from NHL video games. I basically played NHL 98 on the original Playstation from the time I got it in late 1997 until I upgraded to a new PC in late 2004. My main glitch goal was using right-handed shots and Guerin was my teams best right-handed shooter so he would go off when I would play my friends, they would literally get upset at all the goals Guerin would score on them. As his Bruins career was pretty short I think this is where a lot of my affection for Bill Guerin comes from. The legend of NHL 98!
Hahah. NHL 98. That game has the best intro of any sports video game ever made. "Are you afraid of the masked man?" I'd get so pumped to play the game after watching the intro. Pretty sure my PlayStation drive burnt out because of that game.

One of my close friends around that time was a huge Edmonton fan and Guerin was his favorite player on the team. I heard Guerin stuff non-stop from him. I was pretty well-acquainted with Guerin by the time he left Edmonton and became a B. Was very excited for him to play in Boston, and of course Bill did great while with the Bs. I kept following him when he was with Dallas, SJ, etc. So much respect for his game. Always struck me as a very solid person as well. Cool to see a thread about him.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I may be remembering this incorrectly and it may have been another player, but I remember reading a story years ago about how Guerin decided to leave Boston in free agency when the Bruins had a road trip in either Buffalo or Florida and Jacobs invited the team out to his mansion there and wined and dined them, and all Guerin could think was that they were nickel and diming him on his contract extension negotiations and giving him lowball offers while this guy lives in this absolute mansion eating caviar.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I may be remembering this incorrectly and it may have been another player, but I remember reading a story years ago about how Guerin decided to leave Boston in free agency when the Bruins had a road trip in either Buffalo or Florida and Jacobs invited the team out to his mansion there and wined and dined them, and all Guerin could think was that they were nickel and diming him on his contract extension negotiations and giving him lowball offers while this guy lives in this absolute mansion eating caviar.​
Enjoy this nugget:

"On Oct. 1, one of the player representatives at the Toronto meeting introduced himself to Boston owner Jeremy Jacobs.

“Mr. Jacobs, I’m Billy Guerin,” the player said, extending his hand to a man who did not recognize him. “I played for the Bruins for two years.”

It was the first time they had ever met.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
i always liked his game. tough and a good scorer. looks like he runs the wild the same

#metoo.

To begin with, he's a local boy (Worcester), he had a long and successful career, winning two Cups.

From everything I've heard, which isn't much, actually, he's a straight shooter, and that's how he operates as the manager of the Wild.

Also, I seem to recall that while with the Penguins, it was Billy Guerin who knocked on Matt Cooke's front door and told him to his face that what he did to Marc Savard was cheap, dirty, and shameful. When Cooke opened the door and they began discussing the blindside hit, he was smirking.

He thought it was funny. Ending a very talented player's career.

After Guerin had his say, he left.

Cooke wasn't smirking anymore.

I wish Billy all the best as manager of the Wild. He's building something good there.

Every organization is a reflection of those at the top.

Minnesota is in good hands.

Last edited:

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Did not care for Geurin's attitude at all, but given his cups, these testimonials, and his quick move up the ladder, I was probably wrong. Good luck to him in Minnesota. I like what he has done so far. It took guts to dump Suter and Parise and it was absolutely the right move. His other moves have been fair to very good as well with no real stinkers.

Reactions: GordonHowe

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
The GAS Line was downright elite. 93 goals between them that year (and Guerin only arrived in mid-November). Sadly it was short-lived, not even a full season of those guys together. Would've loved to see them continue for another year, but the Allison/Murray trade turned out to be a wise one for us in the long run.

The 2000-2001 Bruins deserved better. They weren't legit contenders, they lacked depth, but they were fun. Say what you want about Mike Keenan, but he gets results in the short term. If they didn't have significant injuries to all of their top 3 goalies forcing them to pick up Petr Skudra off the street to play half the season, they make the playoffs that year, no doubt.
Was that the year Dafoe held out?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Was that the year Dafoe held out?
That was 1999-2000, he missed the first 15 games or so, but that season was lost from the get-go. 2000-2001 he got injured mid-season while John Grahame broke his ankle which supposedly had to do with alcohol and missed most of the year, so they took Skudra off waivers and he was terrible. A very young Andrew Raycroft got forced into a few games that year too.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Did not care for Geurin's attitude at all, but given his cups, these testimonials, and his quick move up the ladder, I was probably wrong. Good luck to him in Minnesota. I like what he has done so far. It took guts to dump Suter and Parise and it was absolutely the right move. His other moves have been fair to very good as well with no real stinkers.
I totally forgot about getting rid of Sutter and Parise.

From everything I heard about their attitude and behavior, absolutely the right move. He also got rid of their contracts. Even if he had to eat some of their 💲💸 to do so. I don't recall if he had to do that.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
That was 1999-2000, he missed the first 15 games or so, but that season was lost from the get-go. 2000-2001 he got injured mid-season while John Grahame broke his ankle which supposedly had to do with alcohol and missed most of the year, so they took Skudra off waivers and he was terrible. A very young Andrew Raycroft got forced into a few games that year too.
Yeah, I went down the rabbit hole last night and completely forgotten that Raycroft had played like 11 games that season.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I totally forgot about getting rid of Sutter and Parise.

From everything I heard about their attitude and behavior, absolutely the right move. He also got rid of their contracts. Even if he had to eat some of their 💲💸 to do so. I don't recall if he had to do that.
I was on my honeymoon when Guerin cleaned house and he ate quite a bit of money on those buyouts.

Reactions: GordonHowe

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
I may be remembering this incorrectly and it may have been another player, but I remember reading a story years ago about how Guerin decided to leave Boston in free agency when the Bruins had a road trip in either Buffalo or Florida and Jacobs invited the team out to his mansion there and wined and dined them, and all Guerin could think was that they were nickel and diming him on his contract extension negotiations and giving him lowball offers while this guy lives in this absolute mansion eating caviar.
Around the same time is when Jason Allison said to the media the Bruins used the 9/11 tragedy as an excuse to why they didn't offer him a deal

• Haha
Reactions: McGarnagle

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
I sure loved those Wives carnivals, they were great for being able to spend time have photos taken with favorite players. Billy Guerin was a gritty player who was a complete player. 41 goals in 66 games during the 2001-02 season was not too shabby. Wish he was with the Bruins longer.
I don't remember what year it was specifically, (but I must have been '97 looking back-I was 7)...I did the fun stuff, sat and took a picture with Bourque, scored on Dafoe in street hockey (I thought I was awesome), got cool autographs on my mini Bruins jersey, but the best moment was walking out with my mom and sister and this normal looking guy in a big leather jacket walks in right at the exit doors (presumably very late lol), and my mom says "Ohh hey, you're Adam Oates". He shook my hand tighter than anyone ever had in my life, and we had a short little impromptu discussion away from the hubbub. Great guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad