Former Bruins Bill Guerin

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Years back was playing in a summer golf event and at the tee ready to drive. Suddenly a ball comes bouncing right in front of us. BG comes running up with a beer in one hand and a wedge in the other, embarrassed but smiling saying "just getting it for my buddy!". How can't you like that.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The GAS Line was downright elite. 93 goals between them that year (and Guerin only arrived in mid-November). Sadly it was short-lived, not even a full season of those guys together. Would've loved to see them continue for another year, but the Allison/Murray trade turned out to be a wise one for us in the long run.

The 2000-2001 Bruins deserved better. They weren't legit contenders, they lacked depth, but they were fun. Say what you want about Mike Keenan, but he gets results in the short term. If they didn't have significant injuries to all of their top 3 goalies forcing them to pick up Petr Skudra off the street to play half the season, they make the playoffs that year, no doubt.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
GAS line with Allison and Samsonov was top notch.

Could have been a guy with a legit legacy if he had stayed but went for the stupid money Dallas was throwing his way and rightly so as MOC / Harry were never going to go that deep in the wallet.

As a GM he doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the box but he does seem to have a culture and style he wants the team to espouse so we will see if he can get them over the hump with the budget and resources made available.

If I recall correctly his trade for Anson Carter had threads that went all the way to the Lucic draft if I'm not confused.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
What no Cameron Mann redux, or why Andy Hilbert didn't become the next coming, or why chain smoking Samuelson was simply misunderstood and after his time....? Gotta love the 80's/90's drafting hope train !

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Dude I thought something bad happened to him.

Never took a night off, tough as nails, really nice guy when I met him at the wives carnival.

Could have been a guy with a legit legacy if he had stayed but went for the stupid money Dallas was throwing his way and rightly so as MOC / Harry were never going to go that deep in the wallet.

As a GM he doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the box but he does seem to have a culture and style he wants the team to espouse so we will see if he can get them over the hump with the budget and resources made available.

If I recall correctly his trade for Anson Carter had threads that went all the way to the Lucic draft if I'm not confused.
It might but I though Looch was connected to the trade that brought us Cam

Lots of players to discuss.

Join us next week for Mariusz Czerkawski!
More Stan Chistov! I actually have a photo with him.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
fun player to watch, and will forever be grateful that he took that contract from dallas.

why? because the bruins got a compensatory pick in the draft for him leaving in the summer
of 2002. that pick turned out to be the 45th overall pick in the 2003 draft, when boston chose
a young man named patrice bergeron-cleary.

so...thank you, billy G. retire his number!

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Dude I thought something bad happened to him.

Never took a night off, tough as nails, really nice guy when I met him at the wives carnival.

It might but I though Looch was connected to the trade that brought us Cam

More Stan Chistov! I actually have a photo with him.
Lucic was branched from the Glen Wesley trade, right?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
This was around the first time I got into hockey. I was 10 years old and we got a small TV in the basement and I'd go and watch all the Bruins games by myself. I thought Guerin and Allison were the best players in the world.
I was a freshman in high school.

My dad was in and out of jail and my mom took a second job working nights.

My sister and I would be at home and I’d watch the games. Those were dark days for the Bruins and for me.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
That is correct, although you can go back one deal further and trace Wesley to the Pederson for Neely trade.

Hard to believe that Guerin was a second line player at BC behind Steve Heinz. I had a number of friends at BC in those days. Guerin was a down to earth guy and would talk to anyone at a party. And was built out of stone.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
More like the Neeley trade but yes. We got him when Samsonov was traded to Edmonton for Marty Reasoner, Yan Stastny and the 2nd round pick in 2006 that turned into Looch

I had to go trace the thread. My notebook is a mess haha

fun player to watch, and will forever be grateful that he took that contract from dallas.

why? because the bruins got a compensatory pick in the draft for him leaving in the summer
of 2002. that pick turned out to be the 45th overall pick in the 2003 draft, when boston chose
a young man named patrice bergeron-cleary.

so...thank you, billy G. retire his number!
Had no idea. Mind is blown

Reactions: Gordoff

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Without Looch's trade we would not have Trent Frederic or Jakub Zboril.

Trent Frederic is the end of the Cam Neely trade line

• Wow

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I might be leaving some details out, but...

June 1986: Barry Pederson for Neely and Vancouver's 1st in 1987 draft.

June 1987: Bruins took Wesley in the draft (Joe Sakic was available).

Summer 1994: Bruins traded Wesley to Hartford in for three 1st rounders (1995, 1996 and 1997 which was Samsonov)

Spring 2006: Bruins traded Samsonov to EDM in for a 2nd rounder in '06 that was Lucic.

June 2015: Bruins traded Lucic to LA Kings for Martin Jones, Colin MIller and 2015 1st round pick that became Jakub Zboril.

June 2015: Bruins traded Martin Jones for Sean Kuraly and 2016 1st round pick that became Trent Frederic.

Now: Bruins still have 2 players (Zboril and Frederic) from the Neely trade in 1986.

By the way. I loved Guerin as a Bruin. He was made to play with Allison and Samsonov. I loved Glen Murray, but hated the Allison trade.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

June 1986: Pederson for Neely and Vancouver's 1st in 1987 draft.

July 1987: Bruins took Wesley in the draft (Joe Sakic was available).

Summer 1994: Bruins traded Wesley to Hartford in for three 1st rounders (1995, 1996 and 1997 which was Samsonov)

Spring 2006: Bruins traded Samsonov to EDM in for a 2nd rounder in '06 that was Lucic.

June 2015: Bruins traded Lucic to LA Kings for Martin Jones, Colin MIller and 2015 1st round pick that became Jakub Zboril.

June 2015: Bruins traded Martin Jones for Sean Kuraly and 2016 1st round pick that became Trent Frederic.

Now: Bruins still have 2 players (Zboril and Frederic) from the Neely trade in 1986.

By the way. I loved Guerin as a Bruin. He was made to play with Allison and Samsonov. I loved Glen Murray, but hated the Allison trade.
That's what I have and as Nugs posted above, Guerin bolting for Dallas gave us the #45 pick in the 2003 draft. That pick turned into Patrice Bergeron.

Billy G gives us Bergy and then Coyle years later :)

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

It was actually Sergei Samsonov's trade to the Oilers that was for the pick that became Lucic.

I did look at the trade tree from the Guerin/Carter trade to see where it went, and it actually stretched out pretty far for the Oilers, by my calculations the last branch extinguished in 2020

1. Guerin to Boston for Anson Carter, a 1st (Ales Hemsky), and a 2nd (Doug Lynch)
2. Lynch, Eric Brewer, and Jeff Wojwitka to St. Louis for Chris Pronger
3. Pronger to Anaheim for Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, 2 firsts (one becoming Jordan Eberle), and a second
4A. Eberle to the Islanders for Ryan Strome
5A. Strome to the Rangers for Ryan Spooner
6A. Spooner to the Canucks for Sam Gagner
7A. Gagner and two picks for Andreas Athanasiou

4B. The Ducks' 2008 second rounder was involved in a series of swaps Edmonton had to make to regain their original 3rd round draft pick so they could compensate the Ducks for signing Dustin Penner on an offer sheet.
5B. Penner to the Kings for a first rounder (Oscar Klefbom) and 3rd rounder

Klefbom is on the Oiler payroll still on LTIR but hasn't played a game since 2020 and is not expected to return.

So you can trace a line from the Guerin trade (or futher back to Jason Arnott's drafting in 1993) to the 2020 Oilers.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I looked up the Thornton trade and that line ended with Nathan Horton and Gregory Campbell as they left in free agency.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

June 1986: Barry Pederson for Neely and Vancouver's 1st in 1987 draft.

June 1987: Bruins took Wesley in the draft (Joe Sakic was available).

I preferred the Jason Allison years to the Thornton ones, but in retrospect absolutely the right call and it's one of the few trades Mike O'Connell knocked out of the park. Allison got hurt early in his LA stint and was never the same. Murray lit it up with Thornton and stuck around after Thornton got dealt too. He was riding on Savard's wing in his last season IIRC. Stumpel was an okay middle-six center, nothing special at that point in his career, just a throw-in.

Let's keep the train running though, because there are more branches:
Stumpel was traded back to LA in the summer of 2003 for some picks, one of which was a 2nd rounder that became Martins Karsums. Karsums was traded to Tampa for Mark Recchi and a 2nd round pick. That 2nd round pick was later traded to Florida for Dennis Seidenberg and Matt Bartkowski. Imagine that, you can trace Recchi and Seids back to the Jason Allison trade (and by extension back to Oates/Janney)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad