Former Bruins Bill Guerin

Bri

Jul 13, 2005
I might be leaving some details out, but...

June 1987: Bruins took Wesley in the draft (Joe Sakic was available).
This hurts my heart a little bit. Sakic wouldn't miss an open net! .:D
Seriously though...Sakic is probably my favorite non-Bruin, certainly of that era. Would've been nice to see him in Boston.
By the way. I loved Guerin as a Bruin. He was made to play with Allison and Samsonov. I loved Glen Murray, but hated the Allison trade.
Agreed..I hated the Allison trade. Maybe it ended up being the right move (although who's to say Allison gets hurt if he stays in Boston?) but I definitely hated it at the time

Reactions: trenton1 and BMC

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

June 1986: Barry Pederson for Neely and Vancouver's 1st in 1987 draft.

Summer 1994: Bruins traded Wesley to Hartford in for three 1st rounders (1995, 1996 and 1997 which was Samsonov)

Spring 2006: Bruins traded Samsonov to EDM in for a 2nd rounder in '06 that was Lucic.

June 2015: Bruins traded Lucic to LA Kings for Martin Jones, Colin MIller and 2015 1st round pick that became Jakub Zboril.

June 2015: Bruins traded Martin Jones for Sean Kuraly and 2016 1st round pick that became Trent Frederic.

Now: Bruins still have 2 players (Zboril and Frederic) from the Neely trade in 1986.

By the way. I loved Guerin as a Bruin. He was made to play with Allison and Samsonov. I loved Glen Murray, but hated the Allison trade.
Besides Tim Thomas, Muzz is probably my all time favorite Bruin.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Meeeh..... Guerin was a great player and I certainly liked his reported stance on Cooke's hit on Savard.

However, it appears that he and Mario also took the easy road when it came to their dirtbag AHL coach groping one of his assistant coaches wife. Not sure the outcome of those investigations yet, but definitely a lot of smoke to that story and ongoing investigations. And since I don't know Guerin personally, I'm not inclined to think he's a great guy just because I read he confronted Cooke. I don't know that that reporting has any more merit than seemingly legit claims that Mario and Billy told people to keep quiet about Coach Groper -- so I'll happily remain unsure on the subject of whether Billy is a good guy or not.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Meeeh..... Guerin was a great player and I certainly liked his reported stance on Cooke's hit on Savard.

However, it appears that he and Mario also took the easy road when it came to their dirtbag AHL coach groping one of his assistant coaches wife. Not sure the outcome of those investigations yet, but definitely a lot of smoke to that story and ongoing investigations. And since I don't know Guerin personally, I'm not inclined to think he's a great guy just because I read he confronted Cooke. I don't know that that reporting has any more merit than seemingly legit claims that Mario and Billy told people to keep quiet about Coach Groper -- so I'll happily remain unsure on the subject of whether Billy is a good guy or not.
Interesting...is there a link to the investigation?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
That was 1999-2000, he missed the first 15 games or so, but that season was lost from the get-go. 2000-2001 he got injured mid-season while John Grahame broke his ankle which supposedly had to do with alcohol and missed most of the year, so they took Skudra off waivers and he was terrible. A very young Andrew Raycroft got forced into a few games that year too.
Was that the same season Jason Allison wanted out and refused to say boo to the media (aka KPD)?

Ironically, Allison and Anson Carter came to Boston from Washington in exchange for the disgruntled Adam Oates, who made his displeasure with Sinden & OC plain whilst shooting his way out of town.

Good times.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Interesting...is there a link to the investigation?
Guerin, Penguins ownership group facing lawsuit over alleged abuse - TSN.ca

If you Google "Guerin Penguins Assault Case" there's a whole host of things that come up. A sordid story -- don't pretend to know what is what, and certainly not trying to "cancel" him. Just saying that there was enough smoke there that suggests things were not great.

That said, Bill Guerin is not a big deal to me. Just when I see he's a "good guy" for reportedly standing up to Matt Cooke it makes me think of this. Maybe he's a great guy, maybe not. I don't know.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

It is ll he said/she said and with an NDA we will never know the truth.

From what I've seen, the couple settled with the Pens back at the end of 2021. The couple is also no longer married.

Additional articles

SafeSport (which is a joke tbh) opened an investigation into Guerin and if they find that he did cover up complaints, he will be fired as GM of Team USA

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It is ll he said/she said and with an NDA we will never know the truth.

From what I've seen, the couple settled with the Pens back at the end of 2021. The couple is also no longer married.

Additional articles

SafeSport (which is a joke tbh) opened an investigation into Guerin and if they find that he did cover up complaints, he will be fired as GM of Team USA

Oh I agree. I have no idea what happened. Just know it was a mess and got a lot of notice.

My only point was that the only reason for me to think I like Guerin as a person was because of the reported instance with him calling out Cooke face to face. But really, I have no idea about that in reality — just what was reported.

Just as I really have no idea what exactly happened in Wilkes Barre. Clearly something did.

I guess that just leaves me ambivalent about Guerin. Not willing to say he’s a bad guy. At same time, certainly not willing to say he’s a great guy either. I don’t know.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Oh I agree. I have no idea what happened. Just know it was a mess and got a lot of notice.

My only point was that the only reason for me to think I like Guerin as a person was because of the reported instance with him calling out Cooke face to face. But really, I have no idea about that in reality — just what was reported.

Just as I really have no idea what exactly happened in Wilkes Barre. Clearly something did.

I guess that just leaves me ambivalent about Guerin. Not willing to say he’s a bad guy. At same time, certainly not willing to say he’s a great guy either. I don’t know.
I completely get what your saying. I don't think he's a bad guy and all I can speak on is that he was super nice to me all those years ago so that is how I base my opinion on him.

I went digging on the SafeSport website and he's not even on their list of pending investigations. I did see that Mike Ribiero is banned from coaching and Vinny Prospal was suspended for physical and emotional misconduct

Reactions: Number8

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I completely get what your saying. I don't think he's a bad guy and all I can speak on is that he was super nice to me all those years ago so that is how I base my opinion on him.

I went digging on the SafeSport website and he's not even on their list of pending investigations. I did see that Mike Ribiero is banned from coaching and Vinny Prospal was suspended for physical and emotional misconduct
I think Mike Ribiero just needs to be banned from most aspects of life in general!:laugh:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Hahah. NHL 98. That game has the best intro of any sports video game ever made. "Are you afraid of the masked man?" I'd get so pumped to play the game after watching the intro. Pretty sure my PlayStation drive burnt out because of that game.

One of my close friends around that time was a huge Edmonton fan and Guerin was his favorite player on the team. I heard Guerin stuff non-stop from him. I was pretty well-acquainted with Guerin by the time he left Edmonton and became a B. Was very excited for him to play in Boston, and of course Bill did great while with the Bs. I kept following him when he was with Dallas, SJ, etc. So much respect for his game. Always struck me as a very solid person as well. Cool to see a thread about him.

Easily the best intro of any NHL game. They don't do that stuff anymore for NHL games.

The entire soundtrack was great IMO. All instrumental tracks which are far better than the generic soundtrack of pop-rock songs they license for NHL games now.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

June 1986: Barry Pederson for Neely and Vancouver's 1st in 1987 draft.

Summer 1994: Bruins traded Wesley to Hartford in for three 1st rounders (1995, 1996 and 1997 which was Samsonov)

Spring 2006: Bruins traded Samsonov to EDM in for a 2nd rounder in '06 that was Lucic.

June 2015: Bruins traded Lucic to LA Kings for Martin Jones, Colin MIller and 2015 1st round pick that became Jakub Zboril.

June 2015: Bruins traded Martin Jones for Sean Kuraly and 2016 1st round pick that became Trent Frederic.

Now: Bruins still have 2 players (Zboril and Frederic) from the Neely trade in 1986.

Great summary Trenton. One addition. Wesley was 3rd in that draft behind Pierre Turgeon and Brendan Shanahan, and IIRC was a consensus at that pick. The bigger crime in hindsight was that the Bruins had the #14 pick and drafted Stephane Quintal. Sakic went to Quebec with the next pick, I don't believe there was any outrage at the time, but in based on what we knew a few years in, that was a tough choice.

Charlie McAdaddy

Registered Champion
Mar 11, 2004
Winchesterfieldville
fun player to watch, and will forever be grateful that he took that contract from dallas.

why? because the bruins got a compensatory pick in the draft for him leaving in the summer
of 2002. that pick turned out to be the 45th overall pick in the 2003 draft, when boston chose
a young man named patrice bergeron-cleary.

so...thank you, billy G. retire his number!
Wow I never knew that. That signing at the time devastated me. I was a huge Guerin fan. All these years later I'm perfectly happy about it after learning it gave us #37.

Kinda like the JT trade opening up the cap space to sign both Big Z and Savard. Sometimes you have to give it time to work itself out for the better.

Btw, who is that in your avatar? I've wondered for years lol
Edit - nevermind I realize it's Vlad Sobotka. The pink hair really threw me off.

Last edited:

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Great summary Trenton. One addition. Wesley was 3rd in that draft behind Pierre Turgeon and Brendan Shanahan, and IIRC was a consensus at that pick. The bigger crime in hindsight was that the Bruins had the #14 pick and drafted Stephane Quintal. Sakic went to Quebec with the next pick, I don't believe there was any outrage at the time, but in based on what we knew a few years in, that was a tough choice.
My view is that I am fine with a team taking a player that is the consensus pick at that spot. What drives me crazy is when the team I root for reaches and passes on the consensus pick in favor of a kid slotted much later.

Wesley didn’t pan out as we hoped, but was a fine selection where he was picked at the time.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
#metoo.

To begin with, he's a local boy (Worcester), he had a long and successful career, winning two Cups.

From everything I've heard, which isn't much, actually, he's a straight shooter, and that's how he operates as the manager of the Wild.

Also, I seem to recall that while with the Penguins, it was Billy Guerin who knocked on Matt Cooke's front door and told him to his face that what he did to Marc Savard was cheap, dirty, and shameful. When Cooke opened the door and they began discussing the blindside hit, he was smirking.

He thought it was funny. Ending a very talented player's career.

After Guerin had his say, he left.

Cooke wasn't smirking anymore.

I wish Billy all the best as manager of the Wild. He's building something good there.

Every organization is a reflection of those at the top.

Minnesota is in good hands.
Wow, I never knew that. The Karma bus is going to run over that SOB (Cooke) some day. Always like Billy G as a Bruin. It was disgraceful how the Bruins disrespected him.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I remember that draft and was surprised that they passed on Sakic. Wasn't surprised that they'd pick 2 defensemen but really thought that they'd diversify and pick Sakic.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
MomWow, I never knew that. The Karma bus is going to run over that SOB (Cooke) some day. Always like Billy G as a Bruin. It was disgraceful how the Bruins disrespected him.
I forget.

Doubtless they were, under Harry & dopey OC, but how they disrespectful to Guerin
Please to explain,

As "Chrome does not support video images here" (sic), a lame emoji must suffice,

🐴🕳️'s, a word I detest.

Impolitic, if precise,

🏃🔨

✔️😎

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad