Oct 29, 2018
Belichick regular-season games without Brady as starter:

1991: 6-10

1992: 7-9

1993: 7-9

1994: 11-5

1995: 5-11

2000: 5-11

2001: 0-2. (Brady started final 14 games after Drew Bledsoe injury)

2008: 10-5 (Brady torn ACL in season opener)

2016: 3-1 (Deflategate suspension)

2020: 7-9

2021: 10-7

2022: 8-9

2023 : 1-4

Record: 80-92

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I remember a time when Brady got hurt, and he was the one being held up by Belichick. That was a fun debate.

Reactions: Voight and Barnum

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
The Patriots have more home losses in four years than all of Brady's 18 years starting in NE. That was a jaw dropping stat.

Belichick shouldn't be concerned about being compared to Brady anymore. That debate ended long ago. It's clear now who had the bigger impact.

I think Belichick instead needs to be concerned about his status as "goat hc". Reid has won alot, albeit not a SB, with QB's who were inferior to Brady. McNabb, Smith, and just out of jail Vick. Belichick has not been able to do anything really without Brady.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
FB_IMG_1696824744630.jpg

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
As a Steeler fan I am one of the last people who would defend Belichick, and I don't really think that I am that much but, saying that a coach isn't as good when he doesn't have one of the greatest players of all time on his team seems kind of silly, of course any coach is going to be more successful when he has great players

Chuck Noll won 4 SB in 6 yrs, and then was pretty mediocre thru most of the 80's, was he a great coach or did Bradshaw, Harris, Swann, Stallworth, Webster, Greene, Lambert, Ham, Blount, and others have something to do with it?

Glen Sather won a bunch of Stanley Cups when he had Gretzky and Messier, and all the other stars, did he forget how to coach when those guys were no longer on the roster?

Joe Torre won 6 pennants and 4 WS with the Yankees and had a .605 win % and 406 games over .500, yet the other 4 places he managed he won nothing and is a combined 77 games under .500, I wonder what the big difference was?

Shula was very successful, and he still has the only undefeated season, which is an amazing accomplishment, but if anything I kind of feel like he was an underachiever, he only won 3 of 6 SB appearances with Miami and presided over the biggest SB upset loss with the Colts. Also had Dan Marino for all those years and could only get to 1 SB which they got throttled in, and had a career playoff record of 19-17, he had 9 years of one and done in the playoffs and missed the playoffs 11 times in the SB era

I hate Belichick as much as the next guy but his accomplishments speak for themselves, he even won a playoff game with the Browns. Maybe it isn't ending great for him, but he won't be the first one who might have stuck around a year or two too long

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The real issue isnt so much as him the coach but him the gm. He cant draft offensive players. it's an offensive league. So therefore he has to go out and spend large amounts of money on average offensive players.
He has struggled to draft skill players on Offense. Been able to secure OL. Never had elite Edge rushers, usually by committee.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
The new Bill Belichick without Tom Brady, reminds me of the old Bill Belichick before Tom Brady. In other words, there's not much to think about and his win/loss record sucks.

Bill Belichick couldn't carry Don Shula's jock strap.
I get the point, Brady has looked better after he and Bill went separate ways.
But I don't think this damages Belichick's legacy much.

His record in Cleveland wasn't great, but he did inherit a franchise in disarray. They only won 2 or 3 games the season prior to his arrival (if I remember right). He elevated them to mediocrity. And struggling late in his head coaching career, isn't unusual. Noll didn't look good in the 8os, Landry wasn't winning Stupor Bowls when he retired.
Belichick's (current) non-Brady record is only a few games under .500, and will likely be forgotten when his greatness is looked back on. I also think his success as Giants' coordinator solidifies his legacy..

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
LMAO!

I get the point, Brady has looked better after he and Bill went separate ways.
But I don't think this damages Belichick's legacy much.

His record in Cleveland wasn't great, but he did inherit a franchise in disarray. They only won 2 or 3 games the season prior to his arrival (if I remember right). He elevated them to mediocrity. And struggling late in his head coaching career, isn't unusual. Noll didn't look good in the 8os, Landry wasn't winning Stupor Bowls when he retired.
Belichick's (current) non-Brady record is only a few games under .500, and will likely be forgotten when his greatness is looked back on. I also think his success as Giants' coordinator solidifies his legacy..
I'm not saying he was a bad coach. He is a terrific coach but he is NOT the greatest coach ever - top 10, yes, # 1, no.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
As a Steeler fan I am one of the last people who would defend Belichick, and I don't really think that I am that much but, saying that a coach isn't as good when he doesn't have one of the greatest players of all time on his team seems kind of silly, of course any coach is going to be more successful when he has great players

Chuck Noll won 4 SB in 6 yrs, and then was pretty mediocre thru most of the 80's, was he a great coach or did Bradshaw, Harris, Swann, Stallworth, Webster, Greene, Lambert, Ham, Blount, and others have something to do with it?

Glen Sather won a bunch of Stanley Cups when he had Gretzky and Messier, and all the other stars, did he forget how to coach when those guys were no longer on the roster?

Joe Torre won 6 pennants and 4 WS with the Yankees and had a .605 win % and 406 games over .500, yet the other 4 places he managed he won nothing and is a combined 77 games under .500, I wonder what the big difference was?

Shula was very successful, and he still has the only undefeated season, which is an amazing accomplishment, but if anything I kind of feel like he was an underachiever, he only won 3 of 6 SB appearances with Miami and presided over the biggest SB upset loss with the Colts. Also had Dan Marino for all those years and could only get to 1 SB which they got throttled in, and had a career playoff record of 19-17, he had 9 years of one and done in the playoffs and missed the playoffs 11 times in the SB era

I hate Belichick as much as the next guy but his accomplishments speak for themselves, he even won a playoff game with the Browns. Maybe it isn't ending great for him, but he won't be the first one who might have stuck around a year or two too long
Shula was the best coach I've ever seen - different eras, different players, different types of teams.

As for Marino... the one difference between Marino and Brady... Brady did not choke in BIG games, he excelled - Marino ALWAYS choked. Whether it was in the SB, the playoffs or against Jim Kelly and the Bills, Marino'd throw an interception at the worst time or simply play awful when the chips were down.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Really good record when he had an NFL caliber roster. Even when he had a fringe NFL QB in Cassel for a whole season, still got to 10 wins. Trying to reverse engineer this roster into taking a shot at Belichick is the flip side of the revisionist history where folks think that Brady was always great. His first handful of years in the NFL were, as the kids say today, mid...

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Really good record when he had an NFL caliber roster. Even when he had a fringe NFL QB in Cassel for a whole season, still got to 10 wins. Trying to reverse engineer this roster into taking a shot at Belichick is the flip side of the revisionist history where folks think that Brady was always great. His first handful of years in the NFL were, as the kids say today, mid...
I HATE BRADY ... I'll start with this..
But dude was the definition of clutch ,1 min left needed a TD it was a wrap,period.
Plus he was perfect for NE , Brady was the best mucker I've ever seen.
I hate Brady for a few things , cheating..
Also he's good looking , talented , married a supermodel, rich as hell so I can say most of this hate is built on a foundation of jealousy lol.

Reactions: Barnum

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yeah, no question he accomplished a lot. That's not my point though. Belichick was a great match for him because Brady was a hell of a lot more brains and compete level than talent. I don't know if there's a case of a player getting so much more talented over the course of their NFL career than Brady. I think it's a little silly to take BB out of that equation. Brady as a - say - Jacksonville Jaguar is probably a way, way different result - not only the team achievements that are on his resume, but even the level of player that he became.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I don't really care for either character in this, but I find it hard to come to any kind of conclusions when Tom got to move on to Bruce Arians + staff and that loaded Bucs roster, and Bill got Nobama.

Reactions: Voight

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I HATE BRADY ... I'll start with this..
But dude was the definition of clutch ,1 min left needed a TD it was a wrap,period.
Plus he was perfect for NE , Brady was the best mucker I've ever seen.
I hate Brady for a few things , cheating..
Also he's good looking , talented , married a supermodel, rich as hell so I can say most of this hate is built on a foundation of jealousy lol.

The 33-3 record vs the Bills might have helped the hate grow a little too I bet

God knows all the times he knocked the Steelers out of the playoffs earned him a lot of hate in Western PA

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
The 33-3 record vs the Bills might have helped the hate grow a little too I bet

God knows all the times he knocked the Steelers out of the playoffs earned him a lot of hate in Western PA
33-3 isn't even the worst part , when BB and Brady would run up the score and treat real games like practice.. dicks.lol

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I wrote this in the Week 5 thread:

The Patriot Way?! Naw more like Tom Brady dragging these clowns to cushy jobs way. Sorta like how Peyton Manning kept dragging Adam Gase to head coaching jobs cause he was some QB guru in Denver. Now you have Tom Brady be ‘the man’ while his underlings like Josh McDaniels, Bill O’Brien, Matt Patricia, Joe Judge, Charlie Weis, Romeo Crenel, Eric Mangini absolutely bomb when they get head coaching gigs.

Brady has been dragging these guys to jobs while they can’t do shit, also as for Belicheck…this man is on borrowed time. He has not done much since Brady left while Tom has won another chip. Bill needs to stop being a GM and concentrate on being a head coach. But what will that do? The Patriots don’t have much talent like they used too, all those former players go to free agency, get the bag then proceed to play like dog shit (Trent Brown, JC Jackson for example) then come back to the Patriots to play like they used too or try too, f*** Trent Browns fat ass.

Mac Jones is not being coached well, you think Bill O’Brien can turn him around? He should be thanking Tom Brady for giving him a job cause Brady was able to mask O’Briens ‘play calling’.

This Patriot Way ended when Brady left, he was THE PATRIOT WAY. Bills record without Brady at QB is under .500

He should be thanking Tom for the 2 decades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad