Speculation: Bilingual Coaches and GM Candidate List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Maybe this thread will get buried, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

I think it be a good idea to put together a robust list of possible bilingual candidates for the next coach and gm, and debate who would be best the Canadiens. For instance, I did not know Luongo was being groomed for management positions.

I would love to know the full list of possible candidates available.

Let's face it, the next coach and gm will have to speak French. There is no debate on this, and if you want to debate it, this is not the thread, so hit the ignore button.

That said, it may be a good idea to start putting an exhaustive list of potential candidates and debate on whether they'd be a good fit for the team.

Admittedly, I know very little candidates out there, so please feel free to share. Here is a shortlist for now, I will add as people propose.:

Coaches:
Michel Therrien
Alain Vigneault
Claude Julien
Joel Bouchard
Patrick Roy
Bob Hartley
Guy Boucher
Pascal Vincent
Ian Laperrière
Benoit Groulx
Alain Tourigny
Marc Crawford
Jim Montgomery

GM:
Roberto Luongo
Julian Brisebois
Mathieu Darche
Martin Brodeur
Patrick Roy
Dale Tallon
Pierre McGuire
Pierre Dorion
Pierre Gauthier
Martin Madden Jr.
Daniel Briere
Pat Brisson

Someone mentioned the idea of Dale Talon as interim GM with Luongo as his protege. I kind of liked that idea.

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If there’s a coaching change St Patrick will be the next coach without a doubt

I realize everyone keeps saying GM, but he’s always maintained he wants to coach and be part of the game vs management

Reactions: habsnacks and Andy

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
If there’s a coaching change St Patrick will be the next coach without a doubt

I realize everyone keeps saying GM, but he’s always maintained he wants to coach and be part of the game vs management
I'll add him to the coaches list.

Personally, I would really want to avoid a guy like Roy. I don't want the GM or the coach to garner attention like a star player.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The list is getting pretty long for both. There are options out there contrary to popular belief.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
You can add Bob Hartley and Guy Boucher to the list of coaches.

Does anyone know why Guy Boucher was never given another chance after his last coaching stint?

It would be super boring hockey to watch but perfect for a low talent, rebuilding team like ours.

Reactions: Andy

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Benoit Groulx is definitely a candidate at this point. Alain Tourigny too, despite already having a job as a Head Coach in the NHL.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Does anyone know why Guy Boucher was never given another chance after his last coaching stint?

It would be super boring hockey to watch but perfect for a low talent, rebuilding team like ours.

Not ideal (to say the least) with kids.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The issue here, especially with the GM position, is that we probably don't know the best candidates because they're doing MBA's or have not yet retired, of haven't accrued any experience in management so they're deemed not competent.

I mean, take Marc Denis (because I have to name someone whose name at least rings a bell). There's no doubt he has at least some kind of potential, but never had any manegerial job (whether it's by lack of opportunity or by choice), so he's obviously not someone whom you wanna hire.

But he's definitely someone you approach for a lower level management position, at least to see if there's any interest and aptitude.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The issue here, especially with the GM position, is that we probably don't know the best candidates because they're doing MBA's or have not yet retired, of haven't accrued any experience in management so they're deemed not competent.
This is true, but I don't see Molson hiring someone with no experience at the moment. The only way I see it is if we have a Dubas-Lou type of pairing.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Maybe this thread will get buried, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

I think it be a good idea to put together a robust list of possible bilingual candidates for the next coach and gm, and debate who would be best the Canadiens. For instance, I did not know Luongo was being groomed for management positions.

I would love to know the full list of possible candidates available.

Let's face it, the next coach and gm will have to speak French. There is no debate on this, and if you want to debate it, this is not the thread, so hit the ignore button.

That said, it may be a good idea to start putting an exhaustive list of potential candidates and debate on whether they'd be a good fit for the team.

Admittedly, I know very little candidates out there, so please feel free to share. Here is a shortlist for now, I will add as people propose.:

Coaches:
Michel Therrien
Alain Vigneault
Claude Julien
Joel Bouchard
Patrick Roy
Bob Hartley
Guy Boucher
Pascal Vincent
Ian Laperrière
Benoit Groulx
Alain Tourigny
Marc Crawford

GM:
Roberto Luongo

Julian Brisebois
Mathieu Darche
Martin Brodeur
Patrick Roy
Dale Tallon
Pierre McGuire
Pierre Dorion
Pierre Gauthier

Someone mentioned the idea of Dale Talon as interim GM with Luongo as his protege. I kind of liked that idea.
Although I don't think a coaching change is coming...I'd be interested in a Groulx/Luongo combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce