Biggest "winners" and "losers" of the lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic Rattlehead*

Tanguay40 said:
Unlikely for Boston, unfortunately. They have so many holes that they'll need to sign a ton of UFAs. Signing a UFA at least partially takes the place of the comp pick that the team would've received for losing a UFA (depends on the salary difference how much lower the pick will be, if there will be on at all). Of course, I have no clue if the new CBA changed that completely.

The Draft is BEFORE free agency. ;)

RandomCanuckFan

Jan 23, 2005
Vancouver and Montreal are the biggest winners IMO...san Jose too.

The biggest losers have to be the Rangers and Sabres.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
superroyain10 said:
Which teams benefitted most from having the lottery? Meaning, which team rose the most positions compared to 03-04 standings. Which teams benefitted the least?

Team(position change) (03-04 ranking)
1 Pittsburgh (0) 1st
2 Anaheim (7) 9th
3 Carolina (5) 8th
4 Minnesota (8) 12th
5 Montreal (13) 18th
6 Columbus (-2) 4th
7 Chicago (-5) 2nd
8 Atlanta (2) 10th
9 Ottawa (14) 23rd
10 Vancouver (16) 26th
11 Los Angeles (0) 11th
12 San Jose (16) 28th
13 Buffalo (0) 13th
14 Washington (-11) 3rd
15 NY Islanders (1) 16th
16 NY Rangers (-10) 6th
17 Phoenix (-12) 5th
18 Nashville (-3) 15th
19 Detroit (10) 29th
20 Philadelphia (5) 25th
21 Toronto (3) 24th
22 Boston (5) 27th
23 New Jersey (-1) 22nd
24 St. Louis (-7) 17th
25 Edmonton (-11) 14th
26 Calgary (-7) 19th
27 Colorado (-6) 21st
28 Dallas (-8) 20th
29 Florida (-22) 7th
30 Tampa Bay (0) 30th (b/c of Stanlety cup)

Vancouver and San Jose gained the most while Florida lost the most.

Add 7 spots for the Sharks because they own the Flames second rounder

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
sharkyz15 said:
Add 7 spots for the Sharks because they own the Flames second rounder
woops already mentioned

now just waisting webspace....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... :)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Habs got lucky. The last time they had a top 5 pick was in 1984.

Congrats to Pens fans, I'm glad to see he'll get to play with Lemieux. :yo:

I'm a Habs fan, so yeah i feel pretty good but... SO CLOSE! Argh!

Ottawa IMO is the biggest winner, simply because an insanely stocked franchise gets even better. Crazy.

Pitsburgh wins huge obviously, though I wonder about the talent depth around Crosby long term. Short term ofcourse the team has a few good veterans for Crosby to play with.

Scintillating

Jul 14, 2004
Halifax, NS
CatscratchFever said:
My Panthers absolutely got OWNED in this lottery. I guess It's our comeuppance for winning the other two but geez, we're still not any better of a team. 29th blows for us.

But hey, you also get 32nd! assuming Florida still has their 2nd round pick...

Scintillating

Jul 14, 2004
Halifax, NS
montreal said:
Habs got lucky. The last time they had a top 5 pick was in 1984.

Congrats to Pens fans, I'm glad to see he'll get to play with Lemieux. :yo:

know who they drafted in '84? Troy Crosby, Sidney's father...that was in the final round though, 10th maybe. Turns out they also picked a goalie in the 3rd? round by the name of Patrick Roy.

Who was their #5 pick? Svoboda?

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
hey....i'm confused....how does the snake draft work regarding trades? for some reason i thought that if a team trades their pick, just as an example...if someone trades their 1st round 3rd overall pick to whoever is in the 27th spot of the first round, does that carry through out the entire draft?

like...uhhh....does the team that traded to the 27th spot now keep that spot for the whole thing? [and yeah, i know it's a snake draft so that changes]....does anyone know what i'm asking?

DINO22CICCARELLI

May 6, 2004
. No doubt. ****ing no playoffs in 7 years and they get screwed with some **** pick.[/QUOTE]

Could not happen to a better team or city :D

X-SHARKIE

Winners: Pittsburgh with Crosby, Ducks win with the way they get the 2nd and they get the 31st...how lucky is that?

Sharks made out very good, we moved up all the way to 12, and we get Calgary's 2nd round pick,,, who got the shaft in the 1st round, so we also have the 35th on top of our own 2nd at 49 :)

I am Jack's Fish

Panthers have won the draft lottery two years in a row, and also had a better selection of players in the 1993 Expansion Draft, as well as having the first pick overall 3 times in 12 years.

They have done quite well as a franchise when it comes to the draft and getting lucky.

Panther fans whining about having one ball needs to stop. The Panthers have wasted most of their good fortunes in the past.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
A lot of people in Minnesota are feeling very much like winners tonight, I'll tell you. Jumping from the middle of the order to #4 overall - that's a huge break for us. The chance to draft another franchise player, if we play our cards right.

I am Jack's Fish

Actually, the only thing worse than Panther fans being upset are soem Lightning fans who are upset picking #30th (forgetting that is exactly where they would pick if there was a 1-14 draft lottery)

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Pitssburgh is obviously the big winner with Anaheim and Montreal nipping at its heels. I say Ottawa and Vancouver cracking the top 10 is a big deal too. They made out like bandits. But To say Toronto and Boston are losers is complete bollocks. They're picking where most expected them to pick, In the 20-25 range.

Last edited:

burner10115

Jul 14, 2004
winner- F'ing pittsburgh. Good luck to them and Crosby (and malkin, and fleury, and mario,) :clap: I'm just happy NJ, Isles, TOR, or Phill didn't win.

losers- NYR. (It sux to be ranger fan rite now. I was hoping for top ten but I honestly thought we would end up rite where we did.) Buffalo got it bad too. :banana:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
superroyain10 said:
Interestingly enough, if Pittisburgh had won the lottery in 04 and gotten Ovechkin, it would Ovechkin Crosby and Lemieux.....that would be sick.

And Lemieux -Crosby-Malkin isn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad