Biggest "winners" and "losers" of the lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Which teams benefitted most from having the lottery? Meaning, which team rose the most positions compared to 03-04 standings. Which teams benefitted the least?

Team(position change) (03-04 ranking)
1 Pittsburgh (0) 1st
2 Anaheim (7) 9th
3 Carolina (5) 8th
4 Minnesota (8) 12th
5 Montreal (13) 18th
6 Columbus (-2) 4th
7 Chicago (-5) 2nd
8 Atlanta (2) 10th
9 Ottawa (14) 23rd
10 Vancouver (16) 26th
11 Los Angeles (0) 11th
12 San Jose (16) 28th
13 Buffalo (0) 13th
14 Washington (-11) 3rd
15 NY Islanders (1) 16th
16 NY Rangers (-10) 6th
17 Phoenix (-12) 5th
18 Nashville (-3) 15th
19 Detroit (10) 29th
20 Philadelphia (5) 25th
21 Toronto (3) 24th
22 Boston (5) 27th
23 New Jersey (-1) 22nd
24 St. Louis (-7) 17th
25 Edmonton (-11) 14th
26 Calgary (-7) 19th
27 Colorado (-6) 21st
28 Dallas (-8) 20th
29 Florida (-22) 7th
30 Tampa Bay (0) 30th (b/c of Stanlety cup)

Vancouver and San Jose gained the most while Florida lost the most.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Florida only had one ball so not much hope. The Rangers are definately the biggest loers in this whole lottery. No doubt. ****ing no playoffs in 7 years and they get screwed with some **** pick.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
detroit as long as they dont screw up and get someone brutal..

anyway, ottawa is a good winner, as is san jose...

anaheim is a huge winner too jack johnson, brule, ryan or kopitar will make that team big id assume

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Im pretty happy with everything but the 1st pick. Florida and the Rags were the only teams to get screwed and no one really lucked out too much. The Hawks were winners today simply but not losing as badly as they could have.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Winners: any team in the top 5, any one ball team in the top 10

Losers: any 3 ball teams lower then 10, Florida

Hammourabi

Apr 3, 2003
Visit site
Aside from the obvious choice of pittsburgh, I'd say the Habs are bigger winners than Vancouver and San Jose. Even though those two teams gained three steps more than Montréal, the difference between picking from 18 to 5 is much bigger qualitatively than picking at 10 or 12 from 26 and 28.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Interestingly enough, if Pittisburgh had won the lottery in 04 and gotten Ovechkin, it would Ovechkin Crosby and Lemieux.....that would be sick.

Yeah, Montreal did go from 18 to 5, which is better in quality, I guess.

I wonder what happens to compensation picks......I know San Jose is going to get 4 or 5 of em....

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
hamourabi said:
Aside from the obvious choice of pittsburgh, I'd say the Habs are bigger winners than Vancouver and San Jose. Even though those two teams gained three steps more than Montréal, the difference between picking from 18 to 5 is much bigger qualitatively than picking at 10 or 12 from 26 and 28.

If the draft talent pool was the same depth each year, which it isn't.

turnbuckle*

Montreal, Ottawa and Vancouver all were big winners, the Habs being the biggest winners of all. If I'm not mistaken Montreal was the only team among the top eleven picks to advance to the second round of the 2004 playoffs. Thus getting the fifth overall pick in a draft with a half dozen highly touted prospects was a coup for a team on the rise.

Ryan would be a superb addition if he falls to the fifth pick. A power forward with superb hands is something the Habs have lacked since Rocket Richard.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
superroyain10 said:
Interestingly enough, if Pittisburgh had won the lottery in 04 and gotten Ovechkin, it would Ovechkin Crosby and Lemieux.....that would be sick.

Yeah, Montreal did go from 18 to 5, which is better in quality, I guess.

I wonder what happens to compensation picks......I know San Jose is going to get 4 or 5 of em....

If Pittsburgh won last year, they would have only had 2, not 3 balls. So they might not have won it this year.

From a Caps fan POV, I was hoping for a Top 10 pick, but I can live with 14. It's a lot higher than I thought they'ed get (I was expecting it to be in the 20's). Plus, Ovechkin will be coming over, so we have that to look forward to. (Hopefully Semin will be here as well)

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
The Rangers are the big loser. They got ripped off. 16th is one of the worst picks in the draft because you are not high in any round.

Vancouver is the big winner. They wouldn't have been close to a top ten pick if there had been a season.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
The 10th pick is decent, but not as good as a top 5. Montreal is a bigger winner than us, even though they didn't rise technically as many spots.

Mooch

Nov 6, 2003
NC/Toronto/Florida
Now i may be a Habs fan, but im honestly making a non biased opnion here. I really think Montreal won after Pitsburg ofcourse. Not only did they jump 12 spots, but they jumped into high talent territory. Getting a top 5 pick was a dream. Infact, i would have been extremely happy if we got anywhere in the top 10. You have to look at not just how many spots a team moved down, but also, to what position they moved.

The biggest loosers ofcourse, i believe were the Rangers.

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
Vancouver was a big win. They probably would have finished as a top 10 team, yet they get to draft as if they were worst 10. Also I've heard some things that sound like Nonis them up in the draft to top 6 at least.

Rails

Mar 30, 2003
LBurg and FBurg, VA
Visit site
Winners
Montreal, Ottawa, and Vancouver - They each had one ball and still managed to get in the top 10. In Ottawa's case, they are a team that is already well built and drafts extremely well.

Detriot, San Jose, and Philadelphia - They all got in the top 20, which is about 5 spots ahead of where they would normally draft...

Pittsburgh - Lemieux twenty years ago, Crosby in a week...

Losers
New York Rangers and Buffalo Sabres - Both are two of the four teams that had the best chances to win the lottery and didn't crack the top ten.

Florida - they only had one ball, but man, how long has it been since they made the playoffs? Winning those draft lottery's killed them...

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
Calgary's 2nd round pick belongs to San Jose so we lose the benefits of switching the order around in the next round...

Alouette_19

Jul 21, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Harper said:
Winners
Montreal, Ottawa, and Vancouver - They each had one ball and still managed to get in the top 10. In Ottawa's case, they are a team that is already well built and drafts extremely well.

Detriot, San Jose, and Philadelphia - They all got in the top 20, which is about 5 spots ahead of where they would normally draft...

Pittsburgh - Lemieux twenty years ago, Crosby in a week...

Losers
New York Rangers and Buffalo Sabres - Both are two of the four teams that had the best chances to win the lottery and didn't crack the top ten.

Florida - they only had one ball, but man, how long has it been since they made the playoffs? Winning those draft lottery's killed them...

I agree,
The Crosby show is going to Pittsburgh!!!Big Big Big winner
Montreal and Ottawa are not far from be the best winner....playoff contender, rising team with good prospects and now in the top 10 with only one ball in the lottery!!! You can call that LUCK...Also, the two big rivals of Ottawa and Montreal are way far in this draft....Toronto and Boston they are also big loser in this lottery.

Detroit in the top 20, I don't remember the last time I saw that???

Vic Rattlehead*

Comp picks are going to be plentiful for Boston, as they will be awarded compensation for losing O'Donnell, Knuble, Rolston, and Nylander during free agency last year. :yo:

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
My Panthers absolutely got OWNED in this lottery. I guess It's our comeuppance for winning the other two but geez, we're still not any better of a team. 29th blows for us.

Deleted member 3032

19bruins19 said:
Comp picks are going to be plentiful for Boston, as they will be awarded compensation for losing O'Donnell, Knuble, Rolston, and Nylander during free agency last year. :yo:

Unlikely for Boston, unfortunately. They have so many holes that they'll need to sign a ton of UFAs. Signing a UFA at least partially takes the place of the comp pick that the team would've received for losing a UFA (depends on the salary difference how much lower the pick will be, if there will be on at all). Of course, I have no clue if the new CBA changed that completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad