Biggest upsets in international tournament history

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Commonwealth Stadium. It was state of the art in 1978.

1297543774571_ORIGINAL.jpg
I didn't mind the stadium. Old ones have a lot of charm (except the Wombles stadium, I hate that barn^^, even if it's new now). You can see it's not made for footy and that's not necessarily bad. The lawn looked horribly bumpy and the ball seemed slow, though.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Romania that time was very good team. They had their own Maradona - Gheorghe Hagi

I remember watching the game vs Argentina on WCH 94 and it was fun to watch.
Hagi was past his prime, just like Maradona in 94. Still a dangerous player, though.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Reactions: Eisen

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
A lot of the suggestions are not exactly what I had in mind when I asked for historical significance in the OP. The 1950 and 1954 final fit that description. Others mentioned do to, but many are just one off upsets with no echoing historical significance.

In vain of how the thread had gone then, how about Bolivia winning the Copa in 1963?

Well 'historical significance' almost invariably means either a WC/Euro Final or leading to a title by that definition. Algeria-West Germany in 1982 probably had historical significance in that it was the first big African nation win against a traditional power at the WC but didn't have a lot of lasting meaning because West Germany and Austria colluded to keep Algeria out of the next round. In that vein maybe North Korea-Italy in 1966 too, afaik it was the first big Asian country giant-killing and it was a doozy.

USA-Colombia was probably historically significant for the future of soccer in the US, but not really much outside of it especially since the US didn't advance beyond the first knockout stage game.

Reactions: Eisen

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
You honestly rate Sweden higher than Denmark?
Denmark just slapped Austria 4-0 in Vienna in the WC quali, yet you have them close to 2nd tier, and only possibly Denmark.

You almost put Iceland in the same tier as Iceland.

One game does not define a team's ranking. If that were the case Armenia slapped Denmark 4-0 in Copenhagen in the 2014 WC quali, but you would never say Armenia is above Denmark?

Denmark is in the border between 2nd tier and 3rd alongside Hungary, Ukraine, Austria.
Just shy of teams like Croatia, Sweden and Holland.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
One game does not define a team's ranking. If that were the case Armenia slapped Denmark 4-0 in Copenhagen in the 2014 WC quali, but you would never say Armenia is above Denmark?

Denmark is in the border between 2nd tier and 3rd alongside Hungary, Ukraine, Austria.
Just shy of teams like Croatia, Sweden and Holland.

A game played 7 years ago, is noy the same as a game played 3-4 months ago.

Denmark were shit in 2013-14.

The rest of your post, well I disagree

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
A game played 7 years ago, is noy the same as a game played 3-4 months ago.

Denmark were shit in 2013-14.

The rest of your post, well I disagree

The point stands that one game is not enough to justify one team being over the other.
The fact is Sweden have performed better in tournaments over the span of a few years vs. Denmark.
This is the first major tournament in a long time which Denmark has done anything of significance

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
The point stands that one game is not enough to justify one team being over the other.
The fact is Sweden have performed better in tournaments over the span of a few years vs. Denmark.
This is the first major tournament in which Denmark has done anything of significance
Never said so.

So, drawing both the 2018
finalists is not good?

One was taken to penalties.

And again we are talking about now, not 3-4 years ago.

But hey, let’s agree to disagree.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Wow, Denmark were awful the last 15-20 mins.

Not a foot correct.

So sloppy and nervous.

And again some weird subs by Hjulmand.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Clear to see which team is well rested and at home.

Makes it even more clear, when one team is better.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
North Korea beating Italy in the 1966 World Cup. Shocked that unless I missed it nobody has mentioned it as it's the only one that compares to USA beating England in 1950.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Didn't see it mentioned...Spain 82' Algeria 2-1 Germany. Which lead to the Austria v Germany shenanigans in the final group game.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Hagi was past his prime, just like Maradona in 94. Still a dangerous player, though.
Must disagree with you there, he got better as he aged, stopped being such a ball hog and matured. He was 29 in 94, that was his prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad