Biggest upsets in international tournament history

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The France-Switzerland Euro 2020 round of 16 game day thread sparked this discussion.

Historically, as far as a single game result goes, and holding historical significance, I feel the the finals of the 1950 and 1954 World Cup (although the last match played in 1950 wasn’t technically a final, it was) are justifiably rated very high on this list.

In terms of a tournament winning side side shocker, Denmark is a candidate I suppose, but it definitely has to go to Greece?

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Homer vote: Belgium beating reigning World Champions Argentina 1-0 in front of 100.000 at the Nou Camp in the opener of the 1982 WC

In reality though this was really only an upset on paper, because Belgium went to the 1980 EURO final and the 1986 WC semi's, but still.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Homer vote: Belgium beating reigning World Champions Argentina 1-0 in front of 100.000 at the Nou Camp in the opener of the 1982 WC

In reality though this was really only an upset on paper, because Belgium went to the 1980 EURO final and the 1986 WC semi's, but still.
Ya, Belgium was definitely good in that era, before fizzing out hard for a decade and half. Can’t say it’s a historical upset outside of Belgium maybe, which you did concede in a homer vote.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I already mentioned Cameroon beating Argentina in 90.

There were quite a few in 94 too. Saudi Arabia beating Belgium, USA beating Colombia. If you don't have context the Bulgaria and Sweden runs look like upsets too but they weren't. Kostadinov, Letchkov, Sirakov, and Stoichkov were great. Sweden had a great team, no point mentioning everyone because someone surely will.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The miracle of Bern for me. A group of amateurs...german football wouldn't professionalize until 1963 & wasn't admitted by FIFA until 1950...beating the GOAT international team in the final after having lost to them in the group stages by a score of 8-3, has to be up there.

1954 FIFA World Cup Final - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reactions: Lauro

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Denmark weren't even qualified :laugh:

Norway beat Brazil in 1998. Brazil were already through, but they played Cafu, Carlos, Dunga, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Bebeto etc. Not the biggest of course, but quite crazy.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Denmark weren't even qualified :laugh:

Norway beat Brazil in 1998. Brazil were already through, but they played Cafu, Carlos, Dunga, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Bebeto etc. Not the biggest of course, but quite crazy.
But it was a friendship game! That does not count.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Senegal France in 2002 was massive. It's the context that matters, France had been winning every single tournament since 1998, they had the top strikers and players in all the different leagues and everyone had them winning the WC running away that year. Players were massively overconfident as well, I remember Desailly bragging that his family wouldn't make the trip to Japan/Korea until the semi-finals.

Senegal, at the time, was not the side that would routinely qualify for the WC, hell, I'm not 100% sure but it might have even been their first WC appearance ever. NOBODY gave Senegal a chance in the game.

What I remember from the match, Zidane was out injured and Henry hit a bunch of posts.

Reactions: Rob

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
USA beating Spain during their run as the best international team of all time has to be up there in the Confederations Cup. I guess that their will always be a debate but 2007- 2013ish Spain was an unstoppable force. (This only applies if were talking about single matches)

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
But it was a friendship game! That does not count.

Not sure if I consider the final group stage match in a World Cup a friendship game - even if we Norwegians do love Brazilians.

lud

May 27, 2009
Croatia
Switzerland vs Spain 1-0 WC 10
Senegal vs France 1-0 WC 02
S. Korea vs Germany 2-0 WC 18
Greece vs France, Czech and Portugal EURO 04

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Denmark beating raigning Copa America Champions Uruguay 6-1 in 86 WC, also Denmark loosing 5-1 in the round of 16 to Spain in the same tournament, after demolishing their group.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Germany beating Argentina
images

or

images

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Not sure if I consider the final group stage match in a World Cup a friendship game - even if we Norwegians do love Brazilians.
Oh yes this was a 2:1 for Norway vs Brazil in Group stage. This was an upset, but Norway was strong in the 90s.

Reactions: Havre

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
USA beating Spain during their run as the best international team of all time has to be up there in the Confederations Cup. I guess that their will always be a debate but 2007- 2013ish Spain was an unstoppable force. (This only applies if were talking about single matches)
Yeah, even though the Confederations Cup doesn't mean much, this is still a good shout.

On the other end, T&T keeping America out of the WC was a pretty big upset.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Switzerland are a solid team they can beat a better team on their day imo and people were talking of France like they were 2012 Spain when France doesn't exactly dominate teams with Deschamps. I don't think that's the biggest upset at all especially once it went to penalties.

I guess Greece would have to be it but that was a tournament as a whole, not one game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, even though the Confederations Cup doesn't mean much, this is still a good shout.

On the other end, T&T keeping America out of the WC was a pretty big upset.

Was it? We’ve lost before on the road in CONCACAF. The big upset was not making the World Cup, not losing one game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad