Biggest surprises this season: the good, the bad and the ugly

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
As the season starts to wrap up, it is time to start looking back at what type of seasons it has been. I call it The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

The Good: Vancouver and the flyers. vancouver never hit the iceberg and fall down the standings that many thought they would. Tockett has the Adams trophy wrapped up. Flyers., most had the flyers on the team doing a rebuild this year. Them being part of the good comes with an *. How they handled the Carter Hart situation has left a bad taste in other GMs mouth. Flyers were reportedly heavily shopping Hart up to a month before the situation exploded. How much did the Flyer know is the question? Hart's name had been out there for awhile and no one was shocked when he was finally named.

The Bad: Flames and Blue Jackets. As an Oiler fan I am not trolling Flames fans, I just do not understand how screwed up the situation has gotten in Calgary. They had a solid core a few years. Johnny Hockey and Matt T wanted out and that happens. Flames replaced both with players that looked like they would and could make the Flames a contender. I thought the problem was just Sutter and thought changing the coaches would solve most of the problems. No idea why the team has not gelled properly but obviously the bigger concern is JK and NK earning their 10.5 and 7.0 a year contracts respectively. The Jackets are another team. Blue Jackets trouble started in the off season with the coaching decision and it only went down hill from there. Jackets were almost the ugly but Arizona situation beat them. On paper they have a balanced team but on the ice it has been another story. The big hit came with Laine being out for most of the year, Sacking their GM looks to have come 2 years too late. And the Roslovic trade confused me. I understand that he will be a UFA in off the off season but the things he does good wont be found in at looking at the basic stats but when you see how he plays the game. The should have gotten more from him

The Ugly: Arizona and the players scandal . Some posters can not figure out why this situation annoys and bugs hockey fans. I am a hockey fan and love my team as well as hockey. 30 Years in and we are almost back to where we were 25 years ago. This is not about relocation or anything. I do not like distraction off the ice and their saga is just never changing. Some people look at "oh, we now got blue prints" we have had blue prints before. I have relatives who live all over Arizona and the love the state. The team is now playing in an arena that is smaller than some of the community arenas in Canada and the complaints and observations gotta be annoying the NHL and NHLPA. Visiting players reportedly told to be quiet and if they do not like the arena to pass it onto the NHLPA and it sounds like they have. With the players scandal what can we say. We have a lot more questions than answers and no one involved in hockey handled it correctly.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Good: Parity is finally starting to come to fruition. Should be even more prevalent over the next few years. Some see it as a bad thing but I love it.

Bad: As a Devils fan it’s their wasted season.

Ugly: Canadian Junior Hockey scandal easily takes it this year.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I do believe you've summoned me

clint.gif

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Good: some fun stories. Hodgson (not nhl, I know), Kane return, and hockey overall is pretty good these days. High scoring, that’s fun. Feels like the league is well positioned for the future.

Bad: My team. Rempe reintroducing rock ‘em sock ‘em brain damage at a high clip. The league itself.

Ugly: Reffing. The 6 players who allegedly did disgusting crime.

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
How they handled the Carter Hart situation has left a bad taste in other GMs mouth. Flyers were reportedly heavily shopping Hart up to a month before the situation exploded. How much did the Flyer know is the question? Hart's name had been out there for awhile and no one was shocked when he was finally named.
what is your source for the bolded?

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
what is your source for the bolded?
oh you missed that. I believe it was either Friedman or Pierre who had in one of their articles that the Flyers were actively shopping Carter up to about a month before he got named.

BTW--Several KHL teams are interested in Carter now.

Last edited:

archangel2

May 19, 2019
oh you missed that. I believe it was either Friedman or Pierre who had in one of their articles that the Flyers were actively shopping Carter up to about a month before he got named.

BTW--Several KHL teams are interested in Carter now.
I believe it was Eliotes 32 thoughts that ended with the comment. There were rumours about him maybe being traded up till early in the season and it maybe linked to that.

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
I didn’t miss it - I’m asking what is the source for your claim that other GM’s were disgruntled with the Flyers shopping Hart?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't know that it's a "surprise" exactly, but Mattias Ekholm has been damn good since he got to Edmonton.

In 91 regular season games, he's gone +68. (Also 53 points, nearly all at even strength.) He's a beast.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Good: Kucherov/McDavid/MacKinnon race for scoring title, last night was crazy!
Bad: New Jersey Devils, how did they become so bad?
Ugly: Andrew Berkshire and Alan Walsh, wish they were simply ignored and went away

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
I didn’t miss it - I’m asking what is the source for your claim that other GM’s were disgruntled with the Flyers shopping Hart?

Friedman. Wasn't 32 thoughts but one of his weekly round up articles. it was one sentence that read something like "Some GMs are not happy the the flyers were offering Hart around for trade as things started to come to light". The only question is, did the Flyers know about Hart being involved. He was always 1 of 4 names that was on the top of posters on this site that came up over the last few years when this was discussed. Did the flyers know is the million buck question. Many people suggested it long before what happened late last year.

LDX

Jan 13, 2014
Iles de la Madeleine
What did Jerkshire do ?

I would guess it's a politics issue. I can't talk for whoever you're replying to, but on my end, I've seen the guy... drift away from interesting and most importantly comprehensive hockey takes, to sectarian speech. It's sad because I kinda like his style, but there a thin line between playful cockiness and blatant arrogance.

As an example, I never get involved with the guy or the drama, but I've seen him reply to what seemed to be valid criticism on a video he posted, and his response was filled with overeaction and hate. I only saw the reply or the message because he pinned the thing on his YouTube video in the first place, to make sure it was seen. I could be wrong though, it was a few months back.

It was something along the lines of "I will not be silenced, you can't silence me talking about politics when I want to, you're a hater and a biggot if you can't stand me talk about politics, go away I don't want you here anyway".

And honestly, that's fine to think that way, too - but it clearly shows a massive confusion between freedom of speech and freedom of consequences for saying things. If the guy can't handle others using their free speech right, maybe he shouldn't his own, you know? Being able to say what you want isn't the same as being able to say what you want without other calling you out when you get out of line.

More saddening and pathetic than really harmful or hateful, but yeah... it went low, and it's going downhill. Wish him the best and hope it gets better for him soon!

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
Friedman. Wasn't 32 thoughts but one of his weekly round up articles. it was one sentence that read something like "Some GMs are not happy the the flyers were offering Hart around for trade as things started to come to light". The only question is, did the Flyers know about Hart being involved. He was always 1 of 4 names that was on the top of posters on this site that came up over the last few years when this was discussed. Did the flyers know is the million buck question. Many people suggested it long before what happened late last year.
Got it, thanks for the clarification

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Got it, thanks for the clarification
here is the HF thread on it. Trying to find the original quote. He did repeat himself on a couple of radio shows he said "got the feeling" some teams believe the negotiations were not done in good faith.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I would guess it's a politics issue. I can't talk for whoever you're replying to, but on my end, I've seen the guy... drift away from interesting and most importantly comprehensive hockey takes, to sectarian speech. It's sad because I kinda like his style, but there a thin line between playful cockiness and blatant arrogance.

As an example, I never get involved with the guy or the drama, but I've seen him reply to what seemed to be valid criticism on a video he posted, and his response was filled with overeaction and hate. I only saw the reply or the message because he pinned the thing on his YouTube video in the first place, to make sure it was seen. I could be wrong though, it was a few months back.

It was something along the lines of "I will not be silenced, you can't silence me talking about politics when I want to, you're a hater and a biggot if you can't stand me talk about politics, go away I don't want you here anyway".

And honestly, that's fine to think that way, too - but it clearly shows a massive confusion between freedom of speech and freedom of consequences for saying things. If the guy can't handle others using their free speech right, maybe he shouldn't his own, you know? Being able to say what you want isn't the same as being able to say what you want without other calling you out when you get out of line.

More saddening and pathetic than really harmful or hateful, but yeah... it went low, and it's going downhill. Wish him the best and hope it gets better for him soon!
I stopped listening to him like a decade ago when he proved he knows Jack shit about hockey.

He went on a similar tirade when the Habs deal Diaz for Weise. Basically said Montreal gave up a top 4 defenseman for nothing and was really adamant about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad