Biggest Surprise 2013 Off Season

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Since the First Goal of The Game threads was popular and many participated, how about naming your 2 biggest surprises of this off season. Can do this in many ways, so not saying this is the best by any means. How about making this particular thread "the next 3 weeks, these are 2 things I see happening". These 2 predictions you make, must happen by July 7. This gives you 1 week into free agency. (not that the Kings may sign any free agents)

Your 2 picks can be anything and not earth shattering. It can be 'Bernier dealt for a #1 pick'. You can name the team he goes to, or not. I do not know of a way to create a valid point system. Maybe on July 7, we can then vote who had the most incredible / accurate predictions. That may then include that someone called an exact trade; team and return.

You can even make 1 prediction, instead of 2, but you can take 2 stabs at this and not be penalized if you call 1 thing and the other does not happen. Make it as risky as you want; "Richards bought out". wtf? If you just call Bernier being dealt, and not name a team
or return, you will probably be right! So, probably be specific about that one. Pick at least a team, or a return "blue chip prospect" would be vague, but still possibly worth something if the Kings get a blue chip prospect and not a #1 pick, for instance. (Since that would be a good call and it may be near impossible to name the actual player)

I welcome feedback to create any other rules or point system. This is not about me...just think this would be fun. I will wait to make my picks, until there is feedback here. We can even come up with something collectively and delete this thread and begin a new thread.

Anyone want to do this?

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I'm going to say either that we acquire a random player to fill that 2nd line left wing slot that no one saw coming, a MacArthur type of player. Also that we sign or trade for a known veteran goaltender to take the backup spot - Biron, Ellis, Giguere, Mason, Theodore, Garon etc...

Bud Holloway

LoL, probably.

bernier to the nyi and slava 5 million 8 years 40 million

Eek.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kings-only, or league-wide?

I was thinking Kings only. Good idea. Why not make 2 Kings predictions and then also make league wide predictions as well.

And as for "Holloway signs" - why not be more specific and say
'Holloway signs, 3 yrs 1.1 mil cap hit'. This will separate your choice from the pack.

And, since things are moving fast, all choices must be in by tomorrow, noon, PST.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
DL sits on his hands til Voynoy on BudH put ink to paper. Voynov at 2 years 3.75 per and Bud at 3 years .950 per. Once these two are signed he is able to trade Bernier for a decent LW player who hasn't gotten much press on our boards as DL never does anything we predict.

For NHL

Philly dumps Bryz's and trades Schenn for Yandle

Calgary trades a late 1st for Luongo when Kipper confirms he is retiring

Edmonton trades Hall to LA for Williams, Muzzin, and Bernier is my darkest of horse

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia
A former King will be back...oh **** Holloway.

Maybe another one but a former King will be back.

You want more?

Lombardi will step on someone's toes..the league maybe.

Last edited:

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Scuderi's rights will be traded

Bernier will be traded, and the vast majority of this board will not be happy with the return

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Luongo to Florida, Ryan Miller traded to Edmonton. Bernier traded to Tampa Bay, Iginla signs cap friendly 1 or 2 year deal with LA. And Brian Bickell will be given the Martin Lapointe "he did good in the playoffs, lets lock him up long term" deal of the century.

GrindNMuck

Jun 11, 2013
Martinez, Possibly Bernier traded.

They will be fine letting Marinez and Scuderi go. They have Muzzin coming in for a top 6 full time job next year.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Seattle does not have an NHL ready arena but Quebec does!

well where i get the idea is vancouver wanted to put there ahl club in the keystone area ( i belive its called ) but was told its a no go the nhl has it booked for a plan b coyates moving if it cant be settles by july 2 i belive the date was I read it in a text

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
DL is the first GM to take advantage of the CBA loophole that salary can be retained by the trading team.

Bernier is traded for a veteran LW with a mid tier salary with the other team eating some of the salary cap hit.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
The Return of Kyle Calder

1969.jpg

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bernier goes to the Flyers, with the Kings #88 3rd Round Pick,
for Matt Read and the Flyers #42 2nd Round Pick.

Martinez traded to Caps. (no particular reason to Caps, just shot in the dark)

I also believe that Scuderi's rights are dealt. There's no way there is cap room to sign him...plus, he will be 35 next season. While he has been stellar here, the cap will be the reason he will be odd man out.
While Ellerby is not everyone's favorite, he did a serviceable job and will be penciled in. Any available funds will go to a goal scoring forward. Signing Voynov not a surprise, but I will guess the numbers will be: 5 yrs at a cap hit of 4.25 million.

Last edited:

Ron*

KINGS trade Bernier/Wlilliams/Muzzin/ for Evander Kane hey let me dream dammit!!!!

Evander Kane is a moron. I don't want that idiot on the Kings.

A year ago I would have salivated at that idea. But since the "money phone" pic and this latest homophobic slur, the guy clearly doesn't have a whole lot upstairs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad