Biggest strengths/weakness heading into Round 4 -- I can't think of a clever rhyme

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
People saying goaltending was a strength...

I BLAME YOU!

That being said, 0-7 is inexcusable.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Let's be fair, the last PP was like 14seconds long...They had 3 others that were around 40s in length or some ****.

The PP is a huge weakness. When you outskate and outpossess the other team so badly, you really should be able to take advantage of the penalties that your utter domination grants you. The DRW were absolutely helpless against the Bolts at evens. This PP will continue to suck until there's a Point weapon and/or True PP QB. You can already see the effect having Nesterov on PP2 has. He gets shots through, he will shoot it, you have to get in his lane and that opens the wings for feeding.

Kurtis Foster...last PP point swing that worked for Stamkos. Had a RH hammer he could fire and was decisive about feeding the puck to Stamkos flat and in the wheelhouse. We need that for PP1 to have a chance.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Bump. Round 2 edition.

PP still needs fixing, badly. It did look pretty good tonight though, even though it didn't score. I think it's because we weren't stuck in the 1-3-1 formation we normally go with. I'm a fan of the 1-3-1 on the PP, but I think teams have definitely figured our's out. We cycled along the halfboards with TJ acting as QB. Worked well.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
This might actually deserve its own thread.

Strengths? Speed, Johnson, PK
Weaknesses? PP, Stamkos

Dark Horses: Stamkos, Kucherov, Drouin, Bishop

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Killorn looked dangerous more than a couple times in this series. Unfortunately he passed up some opportunities, too :laugh:

We really need someone more dangerous on Stamkos' line. *AHEM*

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
It's in the title and that's it, folks. Montreal will feel free to play a lot more borderline in terms of 5 on 5 if we can't put it in on the PP.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Surely the PP will get better if it simply "regresses" toward the mean. Right? I think our PP has been better against Montreal during the season anyway.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
"Much-maligned goalie Ben Bishop comes up big for Bolts in Game 7 shutout of Wings"

I was unaware Big Ben was much-maligned. Stammer seemed to be more under the microscope.

"For the first six games of the Tampa Bay Lightning’s first-round playoff series against Detroit, goaltender Ben Bishop was only in the news for the wrong reasons. The 28-year-old posted a save percentage of .900 or lower in two of the Bolts’ three losses and looked rattled far more than any netminder who’d just won 40 games in the regular season ought to. Given that Bishop had just a single game of professional experience in the playoffs prior to the start of the series, the odds of him coming through in the deciding game were not good, and Red Wings counterpart Petr Mrazek had outplayed him heading into Game 7. But that’s precisely what he did in stopping all 31 shots he saw to lead Tampa Bay to a 2-0 victory over the Red Wings Wednesday, and his team now moves on to face the Montreal Canadiens in the second round because of it."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/m...7-shutout-of-wings-will-face-habs-in-round-2/

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Stamkos 10 playoff games in a row without a goal? I have a radical idea, to this coaching staff, for the PP. Stammer on the left dot, Callahan and/or Boyle as the guys in front of the net, use Palat as the puck retreiver and Stralman at center point. Hell, it can't be any worse than our current PP.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Matt carle.

Besides that, the only thing that could kill us is whoever we play next has a pp and a pk, we sometimes don't have one. We need to have 2 scoring lines and 2 ready to wear the opponent down.

Matt carle. Again .

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Hope Coop finally found a trio that works well:

17-51-91

If Stammer needs to be on the wing to be effective and have the space he needs to operate, and needs a creative puck-handler like Flip to set him up, along with a tenacious physical player like Killer, then that's what needs to be the case. Stamkos looked as good as he's been all season these past two games.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Biggest weakness is Stamkos and Cooper. Stamkos should have been traded pre-deadline and Cooper should have been fired after game 5 in Montreal. Oh and Drouin is going to demand a trade...

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Hope Coop finally found a trio that works well:

17-51-91

If Stammer needs to be on the wing to be effective and have the space he needs to operate, and needs a creative puck-handler like Flip to set him up, along with a tenacious physical player like Killer, then that's what needs to be the case. Stamkos looked as good as he's been all season these past two games.

That line definitely looked effective. Stamkos looks sexy on the wing, hope he adopts it permanently. VP and Killorn compliment him well

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
That line definitely looked effective. Stamkos looks sexy on the wing, hope he adopts it permanently. VP and Killorn compliment him well

a ton of us have been saying put stamkos on the wing it took callahan being out for cooper to do it!

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
a ton of us have been saying put stamkos on the wing it took callahan being out for cooper to do it!

Stamkos is the biggest inhibitor of making that happen. He likes the center position, but I bet he likes scoring more.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would like to go with these lines if everyone is back healthy...

Killorn - Flip - Stamkos
Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Drouin/Vladdy - Boyle - Callahan
Morrow - Paquette - Brown

1.) Paquette is not good on the wing, throw him as 4C would do good things
2.) Boyle has played very well , and has excelled his game in the playoffs, he has chemistry with Drouin and Callahan from their Rangers days
3.) Drouin will at least have one person with Top 6 offensive skill on his line and not be thrown with just 4th liners.
4.) If Drouin is a no go, think Vladdy is the better fit on 3LW than Paquette. Will give us a shutdown line with either of them, but with Vladdy think the line will be better offensively. With two veteran forwards, that 3rd line will be solid, and not a liability like when it was just one Vet which was Flip.

Last edited:

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Would like to go with these lines if everyone is back healthy...

Killorn - Flip - Stamkos
Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Drouin/Vladdy - Boyle - Callahan
Morrow - Paquette - Brown

1.) Paquette is not good on the wing, throw him as 4C would do good things
2.) Boyle has played very well , and has excelled his game in the playoffs, he has chemistry with Drouin and Callahan from their Rangers days
3.) Drouin will at least have one person with Top 6 offensive skill on his line and not be thrown with just 4th liners.
4.) If Drouin is a no go, think Vladdy is the better fit on 3LW than Paquette. Will give us a shutdown line with either of them, but with Vladdy think the line will be better offensively. With two veteran forwards, that 3rd line will be solid, and not a liability like when it was just one Vet which was Flip.

Yeah the one thing about Paquette, I ****ing love the guy. He busts his ass, he gets under the skin of the other team. He blocks shots and he kills penalties and occasionally on once and a blue moon his offensive flair will show up and put up some points. I want the kid here for foreseeable future that is for sure.

With that said....He isn't a top 6 guy. How many times I seen him on the top six with Stamkos I wanted to bang my head against the wall. Let him Center the fourth line with Brown and Morrow/JAM and let him do his thing. Give him Stamkos and Flippula and watch him be exposed more than a Naked man running on the field during a football game.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
With how that line played last night. Both lines really. Leave it and see how they do against the Caps/Rags. We actually had two lines producing for once! :handclap:

We have the talent and depth to have 3 scoring lines.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
If CHI wins, which´it looks like they will we need to find ways to be more consistant and play every game as if it is a game 7. Our team also seem to like to make things hard for themselves which they also can't do, they need to play like they did in game 5 and 7 against NYR and focus on defense first since CHI is a team full of expereince as well as goal scorers and speed.

Our strenghts are though that both our teams are very simillar and if we focus on our game we have a great chance at this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad