Biggest strengths/weakness heading into Round 4 -- I can't think of a clever rhyme

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
What is our biggest weakness heading into the postseason? What will we get beaten by? And how can we fix it?

Furthermore, what is our greatest strength?

For me, our biggest weakness is hard to place. Our D, when healthy, is rock solid. So I guess I'd have to say D depth. If one goes down, no one gets slotted ideally, and that throws it all off. I'm also still worried about our power play. That needs to come up big in big games, and I don't have any faith in it, "hot" as it may be.

Greatest strength, again, hard to place. Above all, I'd say depth... then speed.

Last edited:

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
This team excels at 5v5 play, paramount in the playoffs with fewer penalties. Bishop is good enough to play behind a team that is among the best at shot suppression.

The weaknesses? Aside from a crippled blueline we all hope is healthy this week (not getting a rep for Coburn, Garrison, or Sustr is not too pleasing), they are entirely on special teams. Bank on the fewer penalties and some variance, because this team could see all their work undone by a shocking inability to generate shots at 5v4 or suppress them 4v5.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I Think one of our greater weaknesses (outside of the PP which is a given) that we've had this season is that we've struggled to make comebacks if we're down going into the 3rd period, even if it's just by 1 goal, now we have improved a bit on that but I feel that it needs to get even better because we can't lay down if we're down in the playoffs, we need to find ways to make epic comebacks like many other teams can do, especially if we're done by only 1 or 2 goals and there is up to 20 minutes to play.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Our biggest strength is our 5 on 5 forward depth. When it comes to the playoffs, there is no 4 on 4 or shootouts, just continuous 5 on 5, so that is going to be an advantage.

I'm not too worried about the special teams, PP has clicked and has looked better as of late, and that is good, and our PK has also been solid, not sure how we can make the PK even better, since it will be more crucial than the PP, imo.

Our biggest weakness, could be our D depth if we don't get everyone back healthy in time.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
The defense is what worries me. Nestea and Witko have been impressive for rookie call ups, but I'm really not looking forward to seeing them out there trying to defend against Datsyuk or Zetterberg in a playoff scenario.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Our biggest weakness is our defense which isnt entirely that bad when healthy.

Hedman, Stralman, Nesterov, Carle, Witkowski, and Coburn should be our top 6 with one of Sustr or Barberio as the #7. Obviously when Garrison is back one of them is sent down.

I rank the 4 tweeners;

1. Nesterov
2. Witkowski
3. Sustr
4. Barberio

#3 and #4 could both sod off for all I care. Nesterov and Witkowski shouldnt see the A anymore in my opinion. Witkowski is physical and plays with an edge which is what we need and he isnt entirely dumb at times like Gudas was. He isnt that fast but doesnt get caught too often and he's pretty good along the boards.

Nesterov is getting better every game and I feel tonight was his best.

If one dman goes down, it should not be Nesterov or Witkowski but it will probably be one of them. It should be Sustr or Barberio, they do absolutely nothing out there. Barberio sucks, plain and simple, his IQ and his decision making is piss poor. Sustr is the love child of a giraffe and a human.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
What is our biggest weakness heading into the postseason? What will we get beaten by? And how can we fix it?

Furthermore, what is our greatest strength?

For me, our biggest weakness is hard to place. Our D, when healthy, is rock solid. So I guess I'd have to say D depth. If one goes down, no one gets slotted ideally, and that throws it all off. I'm also still worried about our power play. That needs to come up big in big games, and I don't have any faith in it, "hot" as it may be.

Greatest strength, again, hard to place. Above all, I'd say depth... then speed.

1. Are defenseman how healthy is hedman ? is coburn going to be 100 percent ? when does garrison come back

2. Are power play we need are power play of 2011 to come back to win the cup or 2004 power play!

3. what ben bishop shows up the 2013 bishop or 2014-15 season bishop. Bishop has got to be the bishop of last season to win the cup!

4. Morrow and jt brown then guys have to step up more in the playoffs! your 3rd and 4th line guys win you cups if they can score!

Go bolts lets have a good series vs the redwings!

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
stength deepness and scoring

weakness everyone *****es on power play but pull the numbers of last 5 year winners and we are seriously fine

think we need good goaltending stay healthy take it one game at a time and we are gonna make a dent and have

legit shot at the cup this year which shocks me was sure we would be legit next year but we are there healthy now

not sure we get this job done but we have as good of a chance as any team in nhl right now;)

JS91

May 14, 2014
Our biggest weakness is Andrej Sustr and the fact that Cooper seems to love him. I wouldn't be surprised if he got slotted right next to Hedman on our top pairing when he comes back and as soon as the Wings notice that they will exploit the **** out of that.
I just hope that Cooper was just testing Sustr all season and doesn't actually think he is a NHL level defenseman. He is at his best when he's a #7 D-man and that's what I hope his role will be in the playoffs.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Defensive depth, still not totally convinced about the PP especially if we don't ice Nesterov, and inconsistent play by our youth. Hopefully the fact that these games count and they were embarrassed last time has them focused from the first puck drop. Can't afford to dilly dally for a period or two the way this team has from time to time. At least now we're playing good teams that we can't just casually disregard.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Strengths

5 on 5
goaltending
penalty kill
never ending creativity between the TKO line

Weaknesses

blue line defense
zone breakout -we struggle from period to period with this-
zone entry -we struggle from period to period with this-
power play

If we can clean up the power play and work on the basics we should be able to address most of our issues.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Aaaaaand, they horrid power play was horrid. 0/7. Ridiculous. And gave up a shorty to boot. What the ****ing **** ****ity **** **** ****?!

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Anybody think goaltending should probably be scratched off the list of TB advantages at this point?

Mrazek, at 23 years old, is a gamer, always has been, and will probably be pushing Howard out the door sooner rather than later. After Game 1, I would have to say that Detroit seems to have the better goalie at this point.

Mrazek .957 SV% 2.00 GAA
Bishop .786 SV% 3.00 GAA
League AVG .924 SV% 2.32 GAA

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Anybody think goaltending should probably be scratched off the list of TB advantages at this point?

Mrazek, at 23 years old, is a gamer, always has been, and will probably be pushing Howard out the door sooner rather than later. After Game 1, I would have to say that Detroit seems to have the better goalie at this point.

Mrazek .957 SV% 2.00 GAA
Bishop .786 SV% 3.00 GAA

Yeah one game and we'll feed Bishop to the wolves :laugh:

Don't push your luck.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

Mrazek .957 SV% 2.00 GAA
Bishop .786 SV% 3.00 GAA

Bishop is much better than he showed last night. He needs to be and will be better.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Bishop is average at best, he had a career year last season when the team overachieved, the team was record setting this season and his numbers went down. I don't know how anybody thinks he's a top netminder?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Bishop is average at best, he had a career year last season when the team overachieved, the team was record setting this season and his numbers went down. I don't know how anybody thinks he's a top netminder?

I don't think he's a top goalie, but he's good enough to win. A guy like Osgood was never a top goalie, but he was always good enough. We don't need a Lundqvist or a Price as long as Bishop makes the routine saves and the occasional big save.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Mrazek has been bemoaned as inconsistent in the past, so don't get too sold on him yet. We did light him up for 5 before.

We'll find out if Bishop is a stopgap or the real deal this postseason. Let him sink or swim. An early yank only disrupts our assessment. If he continues to choke, then go to Vasi, but I'm not pressing the panic button yet. He usually bounces back after performances like these.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
As much as Bishop was frustrating the hell out of me last night, I think it's important to remember it was basically his first playoff game in pro hockey. Mrazek had never played NHL playoff games, but he at least had deep AHL playoff experience. Bishop played 1 AHL playoff game years ago.

I was at the game and he looked quite deer in the headlights at points. Hopefully he'll bounce back tomorrow.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
I'm not saying Bishop is bad, because he clearly isn't. But I also don't consider him in the league of a Price or Lundquist either, so I have a hard time believing TB has a built-in advantage in net going into this series.

The truth of the matter is that neither guy (Bishop or Mrazek) has ever started an NHL playoff game before last night, so nobody really knows what to expect from either guy. Having said that, Mrazek at only 23 yo, has on several occasions during his short career has lived up to the moment and has turned in some great performances.... the world Juniors, his Calder Cup run, etc... only one of these guys has shown any kind of playoff success in his career. I think Bishop saw 11 playoff games back 10 years ago in the NAHL, and 1 playoff game in the AHL a few years ago, but other than that, he doesn't have much playoff experience to draw from.

Bishop may still end up being the better of the two by the end of the series, but based off Game 1 alone, TB doesn't look to have the advantage in net that many thought.

Mrazek has on several occasions this season turned in a great peformance only to follow it up with a stinker. He has been yanked from just as many games as he has turned in great performances, but he's young, only 23, and still learning the NHL game so that is to be expected.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I'm not saying Bishop is bad, because he clearly isn't. But I also don't consider him in the league of a Price or Lundquist either, so I have a hard time believing TB has a built-in advantage in net going into this series.

The truth of the matter is that neither guy (Bishop or Mrazek) has ever started an NHL playoff game before last night, so nobody really knows what to expect from either guy. Having said that, Mrazek at only 23 yo, has on several occasions during his short career has lived up to the moment and has turned in some great performances.... the world Juniors, his Calder Cup run, etc... only one of these guys has shown any kind of playoff success in his career. I think Bishop saw 11 playoff games back 10 years ago in the NAHL, and 1 playoff game in the AHL a few years ago, but other than that, he doesn't have much playoff experience to draw from.

Bishop may still end up being the better of the two by the end of the series, but based off Game 1 alone, TB doesn't look to have the advantage in net that many thought.

Mrazek has on several occasions this season turned in a great peformance only to follow it up with a stinker. He has been yanked from just as many games as he has turned in great performances, but he's young, only 23, and still learning the NHL game so that is to be expected.

Yeah I agree with this. Though I thought if even if Bishop played average last night we were walking away with a win. Bottom line is Mrazek played like he wanted it last night and played well enough to steal a game Detroit had no business winning. While Bishop played like ****, in front of a team that for the most part busted their ***** for him last night. He needs to step it up in Game 2.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
No one was saying Bish is an elite goalie, he's an average to good and that's all we need from him. Bish made one big mistake on that 3rd goal but I'm not ready to throw him under the bus yet because it's an extremely tense situation to face so few shots in a tight game for a goaltender, particularly when it's you first playoffs game ever. Let's see how he handles the next one first then we'll discuss.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Willing to give Bish a pass for last night. I expect him to be lights out tomorrow. Our PP should of scored. Detroit does not even have a great PK. It's unreal we could not score on all those opportunities. No excuses on the PP.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Bish has always played well against Detroit.

7-2-0 Record
.936 SV%
1.68 GAA
1 SO

The only teams he's won more games against are the Rangers (8) and Canadiens (10). So last night was weird to see from him. I wouldn't judge him after 1 game. We scored 4 on Price in Game 1 last year and it very easily could have been 5. After that he recovered and his numbers evened out. I'm hoping Bish will do the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad