Biggest preseason surprise

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Who is your biggest surprise in camp and preseason, both positive and negative?

I feel we've got a lot of positive answers during this preseason, but I kind of feel like McCabe could be the biggest surprise. He looks ready, already. Also Strachan, keeping himself in the mix with that competition at least earns him an honorable mention.

The negative surprise goes to Neuvirth. When he came here I thought he played really well, so I figured he would be our starter for most games this year. But he's looked pretty bad - while Enroth has looked pretty good. I thought he would be better.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The extent of Grigorenko's improvement was definitely surprising, but I expected him to have built on the momentum from last season with that offseason strength. McCabe was a surprise, as his game was trending negatively for me, but then he had a very strong preseason where he really limited the bad aggressive plays. I thought it was going to be an easier decision to send Zadorov back before camp broke but now I say he probably deserves a few games to evaluate. The big surprise, however, is the genuine fire lit under Stewart. I'm sure the contract has a good deal to do with it and I don't feel there's anything wrong with that He's taking his part on the team seriously, and he was constantly mentioned by other guys as having been a beast and leader in the local workout sessions over the off-season. I wouldn't be surprised if he's quite open to extending here without feeling the need to field offers in free agency.

The big negative surprise is that in limited action Girgensons didn't look very good at all. Neuvirth also had an unfortunate two games, but it doesn't surprise me that one of the two goalies wound up with that happening. I can't really think of anything else.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
McCabe, his poise in the o-zone was a pleasant surprise all preseason.
Stewart, thought he would drag along this season, still think he disappears when the team starts pilling up the L's as we move to the All-Star break.
Neuvirth, I've sharded better looking things then his preseason.
Enroth, Jesus hasn't sharded anything that looked better then Enroth.
Grigorenko, covered to death everywhere else.
Zemwho Wherehesons, disappearing act this preseason. Normally wouldn't have surprised but he doesn't strike me as a player I'd see phoning in the preseason.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
agree with everything said by everybody so far. I'll add that its nice surprise to have an actual system in place that allows us to get out of the zone. The depth of our roster and call-ups is impressive as well. We might actually be able to field a borderline NHL team until the trade deadline. While it's just the preseason still but Ennis is looking really good too.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I was surprised by how much Reinhart struggled. Figures there was no elite prospect when the Sabres picked so high.

leo2892

Jan 25, 2007
Non-obvious surprise - I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but Hodgson's gotten a lot faster. Might be a function of him being a winger and not a center.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
I was surprised by how much Reinhart struggled. Figures there was no elite prospect when the Sabres picked so high.

Were you able to go to any of the games? I think struggled is not accurate. Sure he didn't lead the team in scoring and sure he got knocked off the puck at times (see Tyler Ennis) but his positional play is better than most and miles ahead of most any 18 year old. He may still go back to junior like Druin did last year but he will be a very strong NHL player at some point in the near future. Just remember the kid is only 18. Elite is a word I use for very few NHL players, probably only 10-12 guys in the NHL so is he elite, no. But he will be a great player in the Ron Francis mold. I will take that all day long.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I'm 99% sure you didn't watch a single pre-season game considering you reraly watch their regular season games.

Biggest surprise for me was how lethargic Girgensons looked in the few games he was in. He was one of the worst forwards out there.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
Girgensons has also been playing mostly 4th line duty in the preseason, playing with Dalpe and whoever else. I wouldn't read too much into it and I don't expect him to continue to tail off when the regular season starts.

He may appear to be a victim of our increased forward depth, but I think one of Grigs/reinhart goes back to the AHL/WHL and then Girgs gets moved up the lineup as a result. He's too good and Nolan loves him, so there's no way he's getting a reduced role, or by some microscopic chance, cut

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Girgensons has also been playing mostly 4th line duty in the preseason, playing with Dalpe and whoever else. I wouldn't read too much into it and I don't expect him to continue to tail off when the regular season starts.

He may appear to be a victim of our increased forward depth, but I think one of Grigs/reinhart goes back to the AHL/WHL and then Girgs gets moved up the lineup as a result. He's too good and Nolan loves him, so there's no way he's getting a reduced role, or by some microscopic chance, cut

It's not just that though, he just looked subpar when he had the puck and he didn't look like he had much jump. No one thinks he's gonna get cut.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Do you think we should avoid making conclusions based on an 18-year-old's first NHL training camp?

Rinehart may be a good player but you can't argue that was a weak draft to have that high of a pick.

but most 18 year olds would struggle in the NHL.

Junior seems right for him, but i'd give him the 9 games.

You're doing it on purpose at this point. This is not me, or anyone else, being grammar police. You repeatedly misspell his name to get a rise.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Do you think we should avoid making conclusions based on an 18-year-old's first NHL training camp?.

Have you noticed how 90% of what he types about the Sabres is the exact opposite of reality? He's much better at Bills analysis.

You're doing it on purpose at this point. This is not me, or anyone else, being grammar police. You repeatedly misspell his name to get a rise.

Yep.

Biggest surprise for me is Grigorenko. Good to see it coming together for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad