biggest pet peave of minor hockey..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

nic30 said:
One of mine are when a player knocks the other teams player into their own goalie and the other team scores and the goalie freaks out because it the guy was in the crease. Freak out on your own player not the ref.

This reminds me of a midget house game I called last season.

A defenceman shoved an opposing forward into goaltender, knocking the net off. There was nothing the forward could have done, so I called the defenceman for Interference. Oh boy did that piss the defenceman, the goaltender and their team off. I ended up giving the goaltender 2 for Unsportsmanlike Conduct and a 10 Minute Misconduct because he still wouldn't shutup...the defenceman wouldn't shutup, so I gave him a dime (ref slang for a 10 Minute Misconduct)... Then as I was reporting the penalties, their coach was standing at their gate yelling at me with vulgar language loud enough for people in the stands to hear, so I went straight to a Game Misconduct for him.

At the end of the game, the goaltender called me a f'ing idiot as he shook my hand. That earned him another dime, which was his second of the game, which meant an automatic Game Misconduct. Being after the game, that got him a one-game suspension. (All Game Misconducts in the last 10:00 of the game earn an automatic one game in Canada.)

It really makes you wonder what some coaches are teaching their players in terms of self-control when a goaltender earns himself a suspension because his defenceman threw a player into him....Then again, this IS midget house. :speechles

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
Van said:

A defenceman shoved an opposing forward into goaltender, knocking the net off. There was nothing the forward could have done, so I called the defenceman for Interference. Oh boy did that piss the defenceman, the goaltender and their team off. I ended up giving the goaltender 2 for Unsportsmanlike Conduct and a 10 Minute Misconduct because he still wouldn't shutup...the defenceman wouldn't shutup, so I gave him a dime (ref slang for a 10 Minute Misconduct)... Then as I was reporting the penalties, their coach was standing at their gate yelling at me with vulgar language loud enough for people in the stands to hear, so I went straight to a Game Misconduct for him.

At the end of the game, the goaltender called me a f'ing idiot as he shook my hand. That earned him another dime, which was his second of the game, which meant an automatic Game Misconduct. Being after the game, that got him a one-game suspension. (All Game Misconducts in the last 10:00 of the game earn an automatic one game in Canada.)

It really makes you wonder what some coaches are teaching their players in terms of self-control when a goaltender earns himself a suspension because his defenceman threw a player into him....Then again, this IS midget house. :speechles
and not only midget house, but midget house in PG...lol....

once, WAY back in the day I was reffing a pee-wee tourny, and I had a parent that was constantly yelling at me. Started right at the start of the game when I gave her son a penalty. Well, she wouldn't shut up, so knowing the coach I asked him to get her to calm down between periods. I saw him try, and was w/in ear shot of what he said. I thanked him, and he said I wouldn't yet...lol...next thing I know, as soon as I'm getting on the ice again I'm getting yelled at again by said parent.

I had her removed from the building, and she wasn't allowed back in for the rest of the tourny...oh man was she pissed! lol

SkateLikeTheWind

Jun 16, 2004
Denver, CO
I was at the rink earlier today doing some community service for my hockey team.

I was standing there watching a mite house game(probably like 6-7 year old). The father standing next to me was like yelling instructions to his kid on the ice. And the kid would watch the dad, do what the father said, then looked back up at the dad after he did what he was told and wait for more instructions.

I felt like telling him he really shouldn't be doing that, but I figure he'd prolly get pissed(because his son and team were playing poorly) so I just laughed at how ridiculous that is.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Van said:

And once again that all goes back with the coaches not knowing the rules. When THEY start complaining about it the kids take notice and the parents take notice so then they automacticlly assume that WE the refs are wrong(because god forbit the coach of the team that the parents are paying so much money for would be wrong right? :rolleyes: ). Then we pretty much have to hear it from the crowd every call we make for the rest of the game and the players (not always but you know those types of games im talking about).

devilsfan26

Jul 10, 2003
Iselin/Piscataway NJ
SkateLikeTheWind said:
I was at the rink earlier today doing some community service for my hockey team.

I was standing there watching a mite house game(probably like 6-7 year old). The father standing next to me was like yelling instructions to his kid on the ice. And the kid would watch the dad, do what the father said, then looked back up at the dad after he did what he was told and wait for more instructions.

I felt like telling him he really shouldn't be doing that, but I figure he'd prolly get pissed(because his son and team were playing poorly) so I just laughed at how ridiculous that is.

I've seen that before. The worst is when the kid has the puck and the coach is yelling for him to pass to a guy wide open on like a 3 on 1, but the dad keeps telling him not to pass and to shoot it himself all the time. These are the guys who end up being the selfish morons who never learn to pass and try to be a one-man team. :shakehead

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I'm a goalie. I've complained to a ref twice. Once a player for no reason slashed me on the side of my neck and the ref didn't see it and the other time was in OT when a player WITHOUT a stick was credited with a goal on an obvious kick... how else could he have scored? Ref didn't see it that way. Was very mad. My dad is a volunteer coach. Has taught me never to complain. He hates sitting with other parents because they're nuts and take away from the fun of puck. He sits kids if they complain to the Ref. Says its his job to talk to the Ref not theirs. Respect him for it and now I'm getting mad with my loudmouthed coach who has his son (who should be our last resort guy) CENTER the first line. He can barely get the puck to his two very talented wingers. Loud coaches ruin hockey for me. I also hate it as a goalie when my defense decides to pinch and gets beat doing it.

devilsfan26

Jul 10, 2003
Iselin/Piscataway NJ
DisgruntledHawkFan said:
Once a player for no reason slashed me on the side of my neck and the ref didn't see it

This happened to me a few years ago in a street hockey game. I was playing goal, and this guy was standing right in the middle of my crease, so I was like inside the net. I gave the guy a little hack to the ankle, and he busts out some lumberjack on my neck. Meanwhile the ref is right behind the net, and somehow missed it. The only thing he did with regards to that play was come over to me when I was laying there with my neck bleeding and the coach taking a look at it, and he said, "Well the girls will like that one in school tomorrow." I kinda laughed, but then when I was about to ask him if he was gonna call a major penalty on the guy, he like ran away, then a few seconds later I found out he didn't even call a penalty at all. :dunno:

BCCHL inactive

DisgruntledHawkFan said:
the other time was in OT when a player WITHOUT a stick was credited with a goal on an obvious kick... how else could he have scored?

I'm not sure about the USA Hockey rulebook, but here in Canada, you can direct a puck into the net with your skate. You just cannot have a distinct kicking motion. I'm not saying the guy didn't kick it in on you...just stating our rule.

DisgruntledHawkFan said:
My dad is a volunteer coach. Has taught me never to complain. He hates sitting with other parents because they're nuts and take away from the fun of puck. He sits kids if they complain to the Ref. Says its his job to talk to the Ref not theirs.

While I respect him for that, unless it's peewee house and below, I talk to captains and assistant captains. I only go to the coach if I have some instructions that I feel need to be said to the coach. It is never a discussion when talking to coaches. Considering your dad is controlling his players' behaviour, although I couldn't discuss much of anything with him, he would really have to earn a Bench Minor or Misconduct whereas coaches who don't have that control over their players will earn penalties much easier.

My midget house game a few nights ago is a perfect example. One coach on the bench, and zero letters on his team. I told him before the game that if he doesn't have captains and assistants designated on the sheet AND the letters on their jerseys, I won't be having ANY conversations with any player and none with him either. He politely complied with that, and I ended up giving Misconduct penalties to 2 of his players and a Bench Minor just for that. :banghead:

Rules coaches ....gotta know your rules.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Van said:
I'm not sure about the USA Hockey rulebook, but here in Canada, you can direct a puck into the net with your skate. You just cannot have a distinct kicking motion. I'm not saying the guy didn't kick it in on you...just stating our rule.

Yes you can direct a puck into the net in USA Hockey. Same rule here...just cant have a distinct kicking motion. .

Brings me to a question Van...maybe you know....

There is a loose puck a inside the crease...Offensive players stops and knocks the puck in while he is stopping...it looked like he did it on purpose....but yet it wasnt a kicking motion....good goal or not? I ask this because I know the NHL has the same rule about directing the puck into the net without kicking it but i have seen twice in the NHL a goal to be dissallowed because a player did that...once again on purpose but no kicking motion. What would you say to it?

BCCHL inactive

FLYLine4LIFE said:
There is a loose puck a inside the crease...Offensive players stops and knocks the puck in while he is stopping...it looked like he did it on purpose....but yet it wasnt a kicking motion....good goal or not? I ask this because I know the NHL has the same rule about directing the puck into the net without kicking it but i have seen twice in the NHL a goal to be dissallowed because a player did that...once again on purpose but no kicking motion. What would you say to it?

I would disallow it. A distinct kicking motion isn't just your stereotypical soccer kick. I would consider the stopping motion a distinct kicking motion from the side.

The rule of thumb I use, is that if you intentionally move your foot into the puck, from any direction or motion, it is a kick. The only way you can intentionally put the puck into the net with your foot, is turning it in a way to direct the puck in. In other words, you gotta let the puck bounce off your foot for it to count.

devilsfan26

Jul 10, 2003
Iselin/Piscataway NJ
I don't know about that one, I think these people who write the rulebooks need to clarify what is deemed a kicking motion. You say you have seen this happen in the NHL and the goal was disallowed, but I have seen the same thing where the goal was allowed (for example: Jay Pandolfo Game 6 2003 Stanley Cup Finals), so it probably depends on the ref's interpretation of the rule, which is why they need to define what they mean by "kicking motion" better.

BCCHL inactive

devilsfan26 said:
I don't know about that one, I think these people who write the rulebooks need to clarify what is deemed a kicking motion. You say you have seen this happen in the NHL and the goal was disallowed, but I have seen the same thing where the goal was allowed (for example: Jay Pandolfo Game 6 2003 Stanley Cup Finals), so it probably depends on the ref's interpretation of the rule, which is why they need to define what they mean by "kicking motion" better.

I agree and I don't. For something like this, there will always be room for interpretation.

Instead of deeming what is and is not a kicking motion, the GMs need to get together and come up with as many examples as they can, and decide whether each situation calls for a goal or a disallowed goal. They might have already done this since I'm sure the NHL does have a casebook, but I know this specific situation (a stopping motion directing the puck in) isn't even in the Hockey Canada referee's casebook...leaving it all up to the referee on the ice.

Hell, I think there should be one rulebook for all hockey like FIFA has the Laws Of The Game for soccer, but that's also a whole other issue.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Another story to tell all...I was doing a peewee game today and a kick looses his stick..kid from the other team kicks it...wasnt sure if it was on purpose or not because the puck was right near them so i didnt do anything..then as the kid is going to pick up his stick the other kid kicks it away from him again....arm goes right up for an interference call......i make the call and the coach starts at it.....he saying.."WHAT do you CALL For that?!" I say nicely...its interference coach....and then he saids "Bullsh*t....a kid can kick another kids stick if he drops it" i give him the unsportsmanlike for the "Bullsh*t" comment and also for his extremely stupid comment(but that didnt factor in). Yes coach its perfectly legal for a kid to kick another kids stick away when he drops it. Sigh. :shakehead

Also some large kid earlier in the game grabbed the puck out of midair and held on it..did a little basketball deke to avoid the other player then dropped it....i quickly called delay of game (closing hand on the puck) and the coach is COMPLETELY clueless why i gave his kid the calll...im skating away and hear him tell the kid "Dont worry you didnt do anything wrong, he doesnt know the rules" I just ignored it though. :shakehead ...that was from the other team.

WhoozYerrDaddy

May 5, 2004
OK...I have been reading this thread for a while, and I think it is time for me to respond.

I am a Level 3 official in USA Hockey. Have been for over 25 years. I have done college, Jr B, and high school. State tournaments and National tournaments over the years.

Therefore, I feel qualified to address several posts in this thread.

1. 'Directing' vs. 'deflecting' - Deflecting the puck is when the puck hits somebody and bounces off him. If a shot comes in from the point, player doesnt see it and it hits him in the rear end and goes in, it counts. If the player sees it and sticks his rear end out so that the puck hits it and goes in, that's 'directing' the puck, and that wont count.

2. Same idea with a delayed penalty. you need possesion and control of the puck before the whistle is blown. A rebound ofj the GK or a blocked shot is NOT change of possesion and the whistle shouldn't be blown.

3. If a player closes his hand on the puck in the air, gives a basketball deke with it, then drops it, it is NOT a minor penalty. It is just a faceoff. If a player closes his hand on the puck while it is on the ice, or if he picks it up off the ice, it is a minor penalty for delay of game. If I was that coach, I'd have gone nuts, too.

Daddy

BCCHL inactive

WhoozYerrDaddy said:
1. 'Directing' vs. 'deflecting' - Deflecting the puck is when the puck hits somebody and bounces off him. If a shot comes in from the point, player doesnt see it and it hits him in the rear end and goes in, it counts. If the player sees it and sticks his rear end out so that the puck hits it and goes in, that's 'directing' the puck, and that wont count.

3. If a player closes his hand on the puck in the air, gives a basketball deke with it, then drops it, it is NOT a minor penalty. It is just a faceoff. If a player closes his hand on the puck while it is on the ice, or if he picks it up off the ice, it is a minor penalty for delay of game. If I was that coach, I'd have gone nuts, too.

According to the Hockey Canada rulebook anyway...

1. For the puck going in off the body, I agree. However, with a skate, you can intentionally turn your foot to direct the puck into the net. You just cannot have a distinct kicking motion. It's the same as the NHL rule.

3. Once your hand is closed on the puck, you gotta drop it. If you make a "basketball deke" to gain an advantage, that's 2 minutes for Closing Hand On The Puck.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
WhoozYerrDaddy said:

Daddy

Your right..I was wrong..(Feels like an idiot..but hey I was taught that way from a higher lvl official and "assumed" he knew his stuff". It is just a face off..which the USA rulebook should REALLY think about changing..why you ask....Lets say Team B dumps the puck in while Team A is changing...4 of Team B are flying into the offensive zone with just one Defensman back...all he has to do is grab the puck in mid air and hold onto it...easy faceoff and no penalty. Took what could have been a great opprotunity away from Team B with that 4 man rush into the offensive zone. Its also the same in the NCAA rulebook. I dont know why this rule is allowed but I did notice that I had made the wrong call after re-looking it up in my rule book.

Also if the kids really want to use that rulebook to there advantage....if there are facing a lot of pressure in there zone...and need a faceoff badly or a stoppage.the kid could just bounce the puck off the board and catch it....no penalty and they get there stoppage. It just does not make sense to me.

BCCHL inactive

FLYLine4LIFE said:
Your right..I was wrong..(Feels like an idiot..but hey I was taught that way from a higher lvl official and "assumed" he knew his stuff". It is just a face off..which the USA rulebook should REALLY think about changing..why you ask....Lets say Team B dumps the puck in while Team A is changing...4 of Team B are flying into the offensive zone with just one Defensman back...all he has to do is grab the puck in mid air and hold onto it...easy faceoff and no penalty. Took what could have been a great opprotunity away from Team B with that 4 man rush into the offensive zone. Its also the same in the NCAA rulebook. I dont know why this rule is allowed but I did notice that I had made the wrong call after re-looking it up in my rule book.

Also if the kids really want to use that rulebook to there advantage....if there are facing a lot of pressure in there zone...and need a faceoff badly or a stoppage.the kid could just bounce the puck off the board and catch it....no penalty and they get there stoppage. It just does not make sense to me.

Doesn't make sense to me either. Up here, that's an easy Delay Of Game penalty under Rule 61 (b) and (c).

WhoozYerrDaddy

May 5, 2004
According to the Hockey Canada rulebook anyway...

1. For the puck going in off the body, I agree. However, with a skate, you can intentionally turn your foot to direct the puck into the net. You just cannot have a distinct kicking motion. It's the same as the NHL rule.

According to the USA Hockey Rulebook..Rule 614(d)

".....The goal shall not be allowed if the puck has been kicked, thrown, or otherwise DIRECTED INTO THE GOAL BY ANY MEANS OTHER THAN A STICK."

Therefore, if you intentionally turn your foot to direct the puck into the net (kicking motion or not), it ain't gonna count. On the other hand, if you are standing there, tied up by a defenseman, the puck hits your skate and goes in, that will count.

That's the difference between 'directed' into the net, and 'deflected' into the net.

Your point is well taken about closing your hand on the puck. It's surprising that more players don't take advantage of that rule. I think most American players believe that it is a minor penalty. In the NCAA book, it is a minor penalty.

If a mite or squirt player needs a stoppage of play, all they have to do is take a slapshot. Immediate whistle, no penalty. I have never seen it done.

Daddy

Last edited:

BCCHL inactive

WhoozYerrDaddy said:
According to the USA Hockey Rulebook..Rule 614(d)

".....The goal shall not be allowed if the puck has been kicked, thrown, or otherwise DIRECTED INTO THE GOAL BY ANY MEANS OTHER THAN A STICK."

Therefore, if you intentionally turn your foot to direct the puck into the net (kicking motion or not), it ain't gonna count. On the other hand, if you are standing there, tied up by a defenseman, the puck hits your skate and goes in, that will count.

My problem with this rule, is that it puts more pressure on referees to call what might be cheap penalties against defencemen in front of the net. If a forward is all tied up, how else is he supposed to direct the puck at the net.

In other words, if a forward is tied up in a way that he cannot put his stick to the puck, there had better be a penalty against the defence.

Markov79

Apr 22, 2002
Canuckastan
Visit site
Oh I have so many, but i'll just start with this...

players who take their sweet time getting to the bench. you're shift doesn't end when the coach calls the line change, you have to get your butt off the ice.

WhoozYerrDaddy

May 5, 2004
Markov79 said:
Oh I have so many, but i'll just start with this...

players who take their sweet time getting to the bench. you're shift doesn't end when the coach calls the line change, you have to get your butt off the ice.

To say nothing of setting yourself up for a bench penalty for too many men on the ice.

That's another call that most coaches don't understand.

BCCHL inactive

WhoozYerrDaddy said:
To say nothing of setting yourself up for a bench penalty for too many men on the ice.

That's another call that most coaches don't understand.

There is also a call that a lot of minor hockey referees don't understand, and it's called Illegal Substitution.

In a situation where a player from the bench comes onto the ice while his sub is more than 10 feet away from the bench, neither player is directly involved in the play, and the substitution is made rather than the team playing with 6 players, the play is blown dead, and a faceoff is taken at centre ice. No penalty is assessed.

You see this called most often late in a game where a team is pulling their goaltender, and sends a forward onto the ice as soon as the goaltender starts leaving his crease. You gotta wait until that goaltender is within 10 feet of the bench before the forward hits the ice.

WhoozYerrDaddy

May 5, 2004
How bout when a player dives to poke check the puck away from the opposing player, and knocks down the puck-carrier AFTER hitting the puck??

Trip or no trip???

BCCHL inactive

WhoozYerrDaddy said:
How bout when a player dives to poke check the puck away from the opposing player, and knocks down the puck-carrier AFTER hitting the puck??

Trip or no trip???

If there is no intent to take the player down, then no trip.

However, taking the puck away first doesn't give you a license to intentionally take his legs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad