Biggest Game in Franchise History: Penguins Edition

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
When you think of the Pittsburgh Penguins biggest game, there’s a lot of options that come up over the span of 52 years as a franchise. From ending the Detroit Red Wings reign of terror in 2009 to Jaromir Jagr basically saving the team from moving in the 1999 playoffs against the Devils, it’s been quite a ride. The slew of great choices lining the team’s five Stanley Cup wins made picking just one moment an almost impossible task.

Biggest game: Game 1, 1992 Stanley Cup Final

This game may be a surprise to a lot of Penguins fans but without the comeback by the Penguins in this game, there’s no guarantee the Penguins repeat as Stanley Cup Champions. In the 1992 Stanley Cup Final, Pittsburgh was matched up against the Chicago Blackhawks. This was the first Stanley Cup Final for the Blackhawks since 1973. Chicago was coming off back-to-back sweeps of the Red Wings and the Edmonton Oilers prior to the Stanley Cup Final. The Penguins, meanwhile, had two tough series against the Washington Capitals and the New York Rangers. These went seven and six games respectively. The Penguins made up for the tough first two rounds, though, sweeping the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference Final.

Pittsburgh Penguins Biggest Game in Franchise History - Last Word on Hockey

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
When I saw the title I immediately thought of Jagr saving the franchise vs the Devils on 1 leg

In regards to this game though, yea definitely a shock to see how good the Hawks were as I thought the Pens would stomp them. When Lemieux got his first goal by banking it in off of Belfour I went bonkers in my living room and thought "yea Mario won't let them lose this one"

Fun Fact: that series was the first time I think the rest of the country got to see Dominek Hasek. I believe he got traded the following year to Buffalo for a sack of marbles

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah so.... I sort of see where both sides are coming from. Game 7 2009 is probably the most important game of the Pens. That comeback win in the series started the 87/71 era and now has a stamp of legendary.

I understand why the 92 game would be mentioned, but we swept the series. So.... no. I don't think that was the most important game. That was by far the greatest game of Pens history because Mellon Arena was NEVER louder. I watch that game every now and again and get chills.

I would even say the game against Philly breaking the long long long drought had more significance than Game 1. We swept 'em. I don't think we were going to lose that series.

Reactions: KIRK

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
92 is the wrong answer, but then I saw that the Lord's Liberation Army posted this, and I gotta say, I don't think General Butt Naked is a very astute critic of hockey history.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Game 7 2009. Without it we are just another franchise. With that win Crosby and Malkin solidified themselves as winners and ultimately we have argument for being the most successful expansion team after the arbitrary six.

I'd make a good argument for the last B2B too, because that's a feat that's been so much harder to do in a post-cap league.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I'd make a good argument for the last B2B too, because that's a feat that's been so much harder to do in a post-cap league.

I’d put Fleury’s 2-0 gem in 2017 G7 v Caps as a huge game in that regard. Esp as (iirc) they’d stomped us the prior 2 games.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This is such a subjective debate. There are several games that can be considered, but winning our first cup would be near the top of that list. I actually enjoyed the 2hd Cup (92) more because we were a juggernaut at that point.

The most impressive comeback in a meaningful game was the game one of the '92 cup final. That was electric and maybe beyond the actual cup clinchers the signature win in the franchises history.

Jagrs heroics in '99 was huge as well at a time we needed it. Unfortunately that's more about off ice management of the team as opposed to on ice matters.

Breaking the spectrum Jinx after 15 years was probably our most important regular season win.

On a personal note the Pens played a game in Edmonton early on in Mario's career. I think late January of '86, this is after EDM won two straight cups. Now back then this was a radio only game. The Pens scored five goals in the 3rd period and arguably beat the most talented team in league history 7-4. Mario had four assists and at least in that game out shined Gretzky. And Mike Bullard had two goals and an assist. The Pens at that time were not very good at all. But that game and listening to Lange call it as he did was one of the most memorable wins in the regular season for me.

Reactions: LastWordArmy

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
December 27th, 2000 is pretty big as well.

But, yeah, to me, it is Game 7 2009.
That win was the catalyst to the Crosby/Malkin chapter for sure. It's certainly an integral victory in the modern era of Penguins hockey.

I also think winning B2B in THIS era was a huge statement for the team, and put us on par with or even surpassed the Hawks as the preeminent team of the last 10-15 years.

We're blessed to have so many such moments and players.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Game 7 2009. Without it we are just another franchise. With that win Crosby and Malkin solidified themselves as winners and ultimately we have argument for being the most successful expansion team after the arbitrary six.

I think that game takes on even more meaning in context. Obviously you can't get higher stakes than a SCF game 7, but to get payback on the road against a great team who just took one of you best players was pure poetry. Thank you Max Talbot.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Game 6 against Boston in 1991. When they won that game the team knew they could take it all. That kicked off an entire generation.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
:laugh:. I felt bad for Mario in his early years. Poor guy got ran every other game.
He was 6'4-5" tall, it would have been weird at first to give him a bodyguard like Diaper Baby Waynette Gretzky. Mario also did himself no favors, there were a lot that took conditioning seriously even back then, Mario didn't give a single f*** about working out, he was about smoking his cigs and getting by on talent.

Mario, if he took working out as seriously as say, Rod Brind'Amour, would have been a f***ing monster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad