Biggest Game in Franchise History: Penguins Edition

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
He was 6'4-5" tall, it would have been weird at first to give him a bodyguard like Diaper Baby Waynette Gretzky. Mario also did himself no favors, there were a lot that took conditioning seriously even back then, Mario didn't give a single **** about working out, he was about smoking his cigs and getting by on talent.

Mario, if he took working out as seriously as say, Rod Brind'Amour, would have been a ****ing monster.

My mom was a flight attendant on a lot of his flights. Him and Coffey would smoke cigs and play cards at the back of the plane lol

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

412 Others

5Cups beats 2Cups
Mar 24, 2009
Black + Gold = Pittsburgh
If not for Martin Jones I would think Game 5 against the Sharks would get some consideration in this discussion. This city was ready to throw a serious rager.

Also worth mentioning imo - Game 5 vs Philly in 2008 - eliminating the Flyers for the first time in the playoffs was huge step forward (psychologically) for the franchise and fan base.

But if I had to pick one, I can't go against Game 1 1992. Jagr's insane goal, Lemieux's late goal, Lange's call on Lemieux's goal, arena shaking. My god.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If not for Martin Jones I would think Game 5 against the Sharks would get some consideration in this discussion. This city was ready to throw a serious rager.

Also worth mentioning imo - Game 5 vs Philly in 2008 - eliminating the Flyers for the first time in the playoffs was huge step forward (psychologically) for the franchise and fan base.

But if I had to pick one, I can't go against Game 1 1992. Jagr's insane goal, Lemieux's late goal, Lange's call on Lemieux's goal, arena shaking. My god.

That's actually a pretty cool take. I like that. And man... maybe it was a good thing we lost. I honestly think the party in Pittsburgh would have been bigger than any party every before. I cannot BELIEVE how many people were there.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
That's actually a pretty cool take. I like that. And man... maybe it was a good thing we lost. I honestly think the party in Pittsburgh would have been bigger than any party every before. I cannot BELIEVE how many people were there.

I drove 4 hours to Pittsburgh to do the watch party. Problem was the main viewing area was already filled by the time we arrived a couple hours prior. So we were in Market Square and that place was packed to the gills

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I drove 4 hours to Pittsburgh to do the watch party. Problem was the main viewing area was already filled by the time we arrived a couple hours prior. So we were in Market Square and that place was packed to the gills
That's why @ColePens is probably right saying it's a good thing they lost that one. You would've had people outside the arena partying (18k inside+ who knows how many outside), people in market square. All of whom probably would've converged on the south side, which already would have been a complete shitshow. The North Shore was probably packed as well.

Potentially amazing but I'm not sure if the city could've handled that :laugh:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just in my life time but only in the Sid era.
G7 - 2009 SCF - DET
G7 - 2017 ECF - OTT

Those were the really on the edge of your seat type stuff.
The G7'S vs WSH really never made me sit on the total edge like those 2 games did.

Honorable mention to G7 - 2016 - ECF - TBL
That was a nail biter too.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'll mention 2 that haven't made the list here (both post season)

1996 Petr Nedved Tripple OT goal vs Caps
2001- Darius Kasparaitis game 7 vs Hasek

I guess they shouldn't make biggest games but I love that you pulled these two. Have such fond memories of both of those games.

Reactions: NEPA

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I guess they shouldn't make biggest games but I love that you pulled these two. Have such fond memories of both of those games.

My memory is fuzzy but I believe we played NJ in the first round as huge under dogs (I dont know if it was the same year as the Kasper ot goal) but in game 1 Straka had an OT goal stunning NJ. I might be off with my facts

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
My memory is fuzzy but I believe we played NJ in the first round as huge under dogs (I dont know if it was the same year as the Kasper ot goal) but in game 1 Straka had an OT goal stunning NJ. I might be off with my facts

Straka had that beaut against Washington in the first round in OT in that same year (2001) -- maybe that one? Clowned Gonchar in the process? Think that was the KLS year, too. Dominant.

Reactions: theicebox and NEPA

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Straka had that beaut against Washington in the first round in OT in that same year (2001) -- maybe that one? Clowned Gonchar in the process? Think that was the KLS year, too. Dominant.

The year I was talking about (I had to look it up) was 99 playoffs. NJ was the 1st seed and we were the 8th and we upset them and advanced to round 2. Lost to the leafs in the next round

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The year I was talking about (I had to look it up) was 99 playoffs. NJ was the 1st seed and we were the 8th and we upset them and advanced to round 2. Lost to the leafs in the next round

Ahhh, yeah. I think that was the playoffs where Jagr was literally using like a tire tube to keep his groin together.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Some other big games that haven't been mentioned:

Game 4 vs NYR in 1992. Lemieux is out, down 2 games to 1. Pens win that game and start their run of 11 straight wins.

Game 6 vs WAS in 2016. Caps are the Presidents Trophy winners...we blow a 3-0 lead but HBK bails us out in OT.

Game 7 vs WAS in 2017. Caps are the Presidents Trophy winners (again...lol) made the sexy Deadline move, no Letang. Fleury steals the game. (Two soft clearing plays by OV lead to our goals too, so icing on the cake.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad