Biggest free agent disappointment this year?

Biggest free agent disappointment this year?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Taking into account performance, contract and expectations.

I was looking through candidates for this and there were surprisingly few "major" disappointments.

Last edited:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I chose Taylor Hall. I think with him chasing the money and going to Buffalo, them having the season they've had, he's clearly the top pick for this.

You can definitely put much blame on Sabres for Hall's lack of success, and it's why I think Hall is one of those players that even though he's been negative all season, if a talented and strong team can acquire him and resurrect his career he could be an interesting pickup for the deadline.

No question about the skill and speed he possesses.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
From my perspective, I'm going with Pietro, he's been injured that last little while for which I don't hold against him, but up until then he's been fairly pedestrian, hoping we see what he's meant to be when he returns from injury.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
From my perspective, I'm going with Pietro, he's been injured that last little while for which I don't hold against him, but up until then he's been fairly pedestrian, hoping we see what he's meant to be when he returns from injury.

You would know better than me, but on the surface he's still got 10 points in 18 games and +8.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
You would know better than me, but on the surface he's still got 10 points in 18 games and +8.
I think he was starting to find is groove, and coming into a new team with a new system is a bit of an adjustment, but probably been arguably our 4th best Defenseman so far this season, I feel Martinez and Theodore have been better (or thought Teddy's been a bit quieter than normal) and Whitecloud with 50 NHL Games under his belt I would say all around has been our best defenseman. He hasn't been a complete trainwreck or anything but for what we are paying him, we need him to be better than our 4th best Defenceman. There's still time for him to get that groove going, and be who we expect him to be, and I might be a bit concerned if this was a normal season, but in this short sample I'd say he's been dissappointing at least comparatively.

Reactions: HanSolo and Cloned

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
At least Hall was only signed for a year. Markstrom was signed long term after 1 good season, and recently has looked like garbage.

He could have the next mega boat anchor contracts

Reactions: Cloned

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Hall for sure.

Dadonov would probably be #2 for me. Brought in to be a beast on the PP and last time I checked had a single power play assist on the season. Thats is.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ditto on Pietrangelo as an HM at least to Hall.

Yeah the dude produced pretty decently before his injury but he was one of my favorite NHLwide defensemen for years and the drop off in his play from STL to Vegas was pretty huge. Unrecognizable as a #1 defenseman much less a top 5-10 one.

There were times he'd be considered the fourth best defenseman on the team and for most of the rest of the time I'd have him behind Theodore and Whitecloud. I mean of course, some guys weren't ready for new season with the weird start time but most players got back into the swing of things after a while. Pietro got better but I don't think there's been a point that you could say he's returned to form.

At this point I'm just hoping he can find that form by the start of the playoffs.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
At least Hall was only signed for a year. Markstrom was signed long term after 1 good season, and recently has looked like garbage.

He could have the next mega boat anchor contracts

That’s why I think it’s Markstrom. He had one season as a starter in his absolute prime, got one of the biggest goalie contracts in the league, and now he’s back to not being a starter. It was so obvious a year ago that his contract would be horrible not long after it was signed.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That’s why I think it’s Markstrom. He had one season as a starter in his absolute prime, got one of the biggest goalie contracts in the league, and now he’s back to not being a starter. It was so obvious a year ago that his contract would be horrible not long after it was signed.

Markstrom was the starter for three years in Vancouver, and he was very good behind a terrible defense in all of them, but ok.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
this isnt a great poll because hall has been dreadfully underperforming.

dadanov is lost without barkov. hate to see it

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Markstrom & Hall are the contenders.

I voted Markstrom b/c he was expected to be the pillar Calgary's long needed to be a great team, & they've totally flopped - Marky included.

Hall has underperformed horribly, but I don't know what impact he was expected to make as far as elevating the team. Felt more like a 1 year 'try this out & see' situation, rather than a set goal like Calgary.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Markstrom was the starter for three years in Vancouver, and he was very good behind a terrible defense in all of them, but ok.

I'm talking about playing at a starter level, not how many seasons he was the starter. He played at a starter level one of those seasons.

6 years 36 million with a flat cap for a 30 year old with a career .910 SV%. One of the dumbest contracts in the league. There are some contracts that aren't terrible when signed that turn out terrible. This one was terrible when it was signed. Markstrom was a Vezina contender in theory only last season, not in reality. Treliving must've watched too much talk radio when deciding to offer that contract.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

I'd Markstrom was a high end starter last year, and half of the season prior. He was pretty mediocre for the first year and a half that he was starting for the Canucks.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Markstrom because hes signed for 6 years.
I'd be curious to hear Flames fans POV on Markstrom. I'm sure they were hoping for a little more out of him, although he is far from the only problem with that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad