Biggest Christmas Surprise

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
How good the leafs are. I ranked them a bottom feeder before the season started and they have been playing great, even when the lose. Also I guess Andersen is the biggest shock, he's the best goalie the leafs had since belfour

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Everything about Columbus.

None of it is sustainable for the most part, but it's insanely surprising nonetheless.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
If we're talking about our own teams then I'm surprised with the Rangers. Seeing that they play like feces and it's showing more now, but they manage to still win games.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
I guess it shouldn't be a surprise because it's Sidney Crosby but him scoring at a 68 goal pace is just crazy.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Besides the blue jackets, gotta say the quality of rookies. You've got Laine scoring a ton of goals, Matthews up there with him, Marner on nearly a 70 point pace, Nylander on a 56 point pace, Werenski playing insane, Murray being a top 10 goalie, and a whole handul of others who are already quality NHLers.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Leaching off poster above me:

Specifically Toronto rookies have scored 47% of their teams points.

Gabriel Landeskog

Aug 25, 2006
Besides the blue jackets, gotta say the quality of rookies. You've got Laine scoring a ton of goals, Matthews up there with him, Marner on nearly a 70 point pace, Nylander on a 56 point pace, Werenski playing insane, Murray being a top 10 goalie, and a whole handul of others who are already quality NHLers.

Might wanna try the math again on that Marner statement.

Mine would be Colorado Avalanche. I thought we already hit rock bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The rise of the Class of 2000. The mediocrity of the Pacific division. The fiasco in Florida. The likelihood that this will be the year Detroit's playoff string ends.

ThatHighGuy

Jul 11, 2014
Canaduh
For the Flames, Mathew Tkachuk. Guy has been lights out for us this year game in and game out. Did not expect that he'd have this much of an impact this year

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The jackets are the only answer here. Pegged as a bottom 5 team by 90% of everyone in media and fans everywhere and they're hands down the best team in the NHL right now.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
How good the leafs are. I ranked them a bottom feeder before the season started and they have been playing great, even when the lose. Also I guess Andersen is the biggest shock, he's the best goalie the leafs had since belfour

I understand and respect how things tilt in the National Hockey League and especially their fans.

Does anybody else beside me just cringe when they read a comment like this, knowing that the Maple Leafs are 20th in the league?

The thought of the Maple Leafs having a Blue Jacket type explosion scares me for what would likely occur.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
How bad Arizona is again, but maybe shouldn't be surprised given the roster and goaltending. And the turnaround in Columbus (kind of as they were expected to do something like this last year).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad