Biggest Christmas Surprise

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Jackets for sure after their tire fire season and I'll say Werenski has been lights out. Much better than I thought he would be in his first season.

Other than that Tampa has been not very good so that's one where I thought they'd be leading the East.

HM to Minny, Ottawa, Sam Gagner, Panik and the Rangers

I never thought the Rangers would be this good

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
You're surprised they're in 20th place overall? Beat it.

If I go back into the standings predictions thread, I will see your post with the Leafs ahead of Dallas, Winnipeg, Detroit, New Jersey, NYI, buffalo, ect?

That's what I thought. The leafs being only a couple of points out of a playoff position, while holding numerous games in hand on Boston, is a surprise to most. Beat it. Mic Drop.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If I go back into the standings predictions thread, I will see your post with the Leafs ahead of Dallas, Winnipeg, Detroit, New Jersey, NYI, buffalo, ect?

That's what I thought. The leafs being only a couple of points out of a playoff position, while holding numerous games in hand on Boston, is a surprise to most. Beat it. Mic Drop.

So this isTHE biggest christmas surprise?Hilarious.

CBJ is about a million times more surprising and many other teams are also more surprising.

Why is ot that Leafs fans always feel the need to mention their team and players in threads. I realize that every fan base does that but the title of the thread is pretty clear.

You can pick up your mic and dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8

You're twisting his/her words for your own sake. The person you quoted said nothing of Dallas/Winnipeg/Detroit/New Jersey/NYI/Buffalo. You did. The 20th place Leafs being ahead of the teams you listed does not make Toronto suprising. It makes the other teams surprising. The Leafs are 20th. I'm not surprised they're among the worst teams in the league, no.

*sets mic properly onto mic stand

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Columbus and Laine for me. Didn't think Laine could come in and light up the league as quickly as he has.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Matthew Tkachuk for me. I watched a lot of London games, and didn't think he was NHL ready. Also, while I thought he was a great prospect, I think I had him lower than quite a few draft rankings.

As a fan of Chucky, I'm happy to say he's destroyed all my expectations for him and has proven to be a complete stud in his very first season. He was clearly NHL ready and he doesn't look out of place at all. He's just been a complete beast.

Mitts Marner*

The biggest surprise is that anyone here actually manages to function in day to day activities with such selectivism in what you choose to pick out of an opinion.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

The leafs are also a couple points out of dead last in the conference. Their rookies are playing out of their minds and they are 20th.

Like the other posters said...get lost.

The answer is Columbus AINEC

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
nope, not nervous at all..

Big surprises.
Columbus and Edmonton

Small ones, was expecting Buffalo and Toronto starting to win.

You expected a team that's playing up to 8 rookies a night to start winning right out of the gate?

Columbus is the obvious answer, but I'm also surprised at the Islanders. Yeah they had a bad offseason but they've really fallen this year.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004

Most predicted Toronto to be out of playoff contention.

They are currently out of playoff contention.

How is that a surprise?

The correct answer is Columbus. I also believe Werenski should be getting the Calder up to this stage of the season with what he's done.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
What has been the biggest surprise so far this season?

To me it's been Columbus. I never saw this coming, not even close.

I know Stamkos is out but I didn't see Tampa struggling like they have.

I didn't see Montreal doing as well as they have, Carey Price or not.

I didn't see Nashville struggling like they have. Too good to be where they are. Same goes for Dallas, too much talent, IMO.

Ottawa has been a surprise, making the most of what they have. Karlsson is simply ridiculous.

On an individual note. Laine has transitioned better than I thought, just insane.

Cam Atkinson. Who saw that coming?

Who's your biggest Christmas Surprise so far?

It's not just Stamkos out. The Lightning currently have NINE injured roster players.

Stamkos
Kucherov
Drouin
Palat
Namestnikov
Bishop
Coburn
Paquette
Callahan

It's been quite a year. *cries*

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Leafs rookies playing amazing
Columbus and everything about them
Aves being the biggest joke in the league
Isles sucking... Ladd worst signing ever

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
That TSN and Sportsnet haven't had their broadcasting licenses pulled yet for their obvious Leafs bias. They've become Toronto house media.

How is that a surprise when they've been doing it for years. :laugh: It would be a surprise if they weren't.

thecapsfan

Sep 3, 2012
The Metro Division in general.

Columbus doing so good (didn't see that one coming).

Crosby being this hot in the goals department (I expected him to be top of the league in points but 24 goals to 14 assists at this stage)

The Metro Division being this competitive (Penguins aren't a surprise, I expected the Rangers to be more in the upper mid standings (same with the Flyers, and once again CBJ... just SURPRISE M****R ****** when did they start producing so much offense).

Did not expect this division to have 5 of the top 8 teams in the standings going into the break. Quite frankly the Penguins are the only team in our division I expected to be this good, and more than likely the Caps, though they sometimes don't look like they deserve to be in a playoff spot on the ice.)

Also
Edmonton firing up this fast, and Tampa not having a spot at this point and being so injured.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Caitlyn Jenner: Boone Jenner's sister.... or brother? ;)

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Columbus and Crosby's bizarre goals-biased stat line.

Crosby especially...and not only that, but he's become sort of a "garbage man", collecting so many garbage goals (cleaning up rebounds). Before this year, I always saw Sidney Crosby as a playmaker (before this season, his assist-to-goal ration was 1.77; it's 0.58 this year).

BTW, for Columbus fans...what specifically has Torts brought to the table that was missing before? He also worked wonders with a young Rangers team when he was the coach here.

Another one: Edmonton---they are finally playing as a cohesive team, with players having defined roles. Peter Chiarelli should be in the running with Jarmo Kekalainen for GM of the year, with that decision to trade for Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall straight up (not unlike Jarmo's decision to trade RyJo for Seth Jones straight up).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes