Biggest "Almost" Deals Through History?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
it is the first I heard of the Andy Delmore or Sandy McCarthy offer honestly in that rumored deal. Only thing I knew was Gagne being a deal breaker. Sinden wasn't going to trade Bourque to Philadelphia unless Gagne was coming back the other way. The Flyers refused to part with Gagne obviously and Sinden made the deal with Colorado which at the time if I remember correctly was a big surprise. Not many people expected Colorado to be the final destination for Bourque.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Tony Amonte, Alexei Kovalev, John Vanbiesbrouck, Doug Weight, three first-round picks (1993, 1994, and 1996), and $12 million

For Lindros. Wonder if NYR win the cup with him and without all of them.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
it is the first I heard of the Andy Delmore or Sandy McCarthy offer honestly in that rumored deal. Only thing I knew was Gagne being a deal breaker. Sinden wasn't going to trade Bourque to Philadelphia unless Gagne was coming back the other way. The Flyers refused to part with Gagne obviously and Sinden made the deal with Colorado which at the time if I remember correctly was a big surprise. Not many people expected Colorado to be the final destination for Bourque.

Can´t remember them being the frontrunners for Blake and especially Roy as well. Or am I remembering it wrong? Lacroix was always good for a great trade deadline addition. Wonder how many off these kind of trades he almost did. Theodore was the only real bad I can think off out of the top off my head. Fleury was really a good one. Facing a peakine and primed Dallas Stars can´t be blamed there. And actually I´m still sad Theo didn´t stay in Colorad for a few years. Great chemistry with the team. Even if entertained the fans in Madison Square, those years to me instead could have been chasing Cups in Colorado.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Is that verified? I always thought it would have been great if Lafleur had gone to Edmonton in 1984 instead of retiring. He really could have helped them.

I recall rumours about Edmonton and Winnipeg. Both would have been good situations for Lafleur, but Savard refused to deal him for fear he'd be flipped to the Nordiques.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Can´t remember them being the frontrunners for Blake and especially Roy as well. Or am I remembering it wrong? Lacroix was always good for a great trade deadline addition. Wonder how many off these kind of trades he almost did. Theodore was the only real bad I can think off out of the top off my head. Fleury was really a good one. Facing a peakine and primed Dallas Stars can´t be blamed there. And actually I´m still sad Theo didn´t stay in Colorad for a few years. Great chemistry with the team. Even if entertained the fans in Madison Square, those years to me instead could have been chasing Cups in Colorado.

I dont think Roy was shopped around much, I'm sure Corey wanted him as far away from Montreal as possible so it wouldn't be likely they'd play him too many times a year/in the playoffs. Avs also had a ton of assets still stemming from the Lindros trade, only took 4 days from the 9 goal affair to the trade.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
After reading threw the old prospect thread about Erik Karlsson (a thread on the main boards led me there :D ), I was to understand that the reason Bryan Murray traded up from 18 to 15 in 2008 was that the Ducks and Burke where going to pick Karlsson at 17. Not a trade, but sure a deal that if not had happened would have changed a lot of things would look different in the leauge with him as an Duck...

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Pronger almost traded to the Kings or Jack Johnson and the 5th overall, although both teams seem to deny that this discussion ever happened. Kings eventually used that pick on Brayden Schenn.

The Score, a Toronto-based broadcaster, reported Friday that the Ducks had dealt Pronger, one of the NHL's elite defencemen, to the Kings for defenceman Jack Johnson and the fifth overall pick in the June 26 draft.

But both teams denied the rumour in emails to the Los Angeles Times.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/ducks-kings-deny-pronger-johnson-trade-1.831822

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
I recall rumours about Edmonton and Winnipeg. Both would have been good situations for Lafleur, but Savard refused to deal him for fear he'd be flipped to the Nordiques.

I've heard the Edmonton and Winnipeg rumors for a long time, and Savard's reasoning, terrible as it was. But I've never heard what might have been going back the other way to Montreal. Anyone know?

The other big "almost" deal that Savard missed on that same calendar year was of course Tretiak. Certainly a different kind of deal. A lot of what-ifs to speculate on there.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

It was at some point in the early to mid-90s, before the Avalanche won the Cup and Sakic was seen more as a guy who could score a lot of points in the regular season but not lead his team anywhere. On the other side Linden had proven by that point he could perform in the playoffs and was a serviceable player in the regular season. It's understandable why both teams did what they did, but looking back on it now is interesting as each the perception of Sakic was changed as the Nordiques/Avalanche became a strong team (and while Linden remained a decent playoff performer, he is not in the same tier).

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
It was at some point in the early to mid-90s, before the Avalanche won the Cup and Sakic was seen more as a guy who could score a lot of points in the regular season but not lead his team anywhere. On the other side Linden had proven by that point he could perform in the playoffs and was a serviceable player in the regular season. It's understandable why both teams did what they did, but looking back on it now is interesting as each the perception of Sakic was changed as the Nordiques/Avalanche became a strong team (and while Linden remained a decent playoff performer, he is not in the same tier).

Canucks were also dangled a very young Jeremy Roenick , Canucks again said no.You have to respect Pat Quinn for his loyalty to his players , you won't find GMs like that anymore

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Crazy how both Yzerman and Sakic were considered talented but unexceptional prior to their winning the Cup, and subsequently being regarded as all-time HoF greats.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Joe sakic was offered straight up for Trevor linden , Canucks said no.

I might be perpetuating the myth, but I was under the impression that it was before the 1994 Draft. Quebec had Sakic-Sundin-Ricci down the middle with Forsberg about to come to North America. The thought was to ship out one of their centers for a gritty winger. They'd trade Sundin for Wendel Clark in a megadeal at the 1994 Draft. I thought part of the reason that Vancouver declined to move Linden was because they were fresh off of that playoff run.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Trevor Linden in his prime seems to have had value somewhere just below Wayne Gretzky in terms of being offered for Joe Sakic, Jeremy Roenick and from what i've read Sergei Fedorov (who would join Mogilny and Bure in Vancouver)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Trevor Linden in his prime seems to have had value somewhere just below Wayne Gretzky in terms of being offered for Joe Sakic, Jeremy Roenick and from what i've read Sergei Fedorov (who would join Mogilny and Bure in Vancouver)

some of these "almost" deals need an *deals the fans or media talked about but teams never did*

Deleted member 250185

I remember a poster on these boards once mentioning that Joe Thornton was nearly traded to Calgary from Boston. Apparently Boston wanted Regher but Sutter wouldn't let him go. I was honestly a little depressed after hearing that, can you imagine a decade+ of a Thornton-Iginla combo in their primes?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00