Biggest "Almost" Deals Through History?

Mad Brills*

Was posted a week ago, forgot where, but if the stars got lecavlier in the summer of 2013, they don't trade for seguin.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Was posted a week ago, forgot where, but if the stars got lecavlier in the summer of 2013, they don't trade for seguin.

I'm not sure about that.

It really depends on who offered the trade, Boston - to get him as far away from them as possible/not have to play him often or Dallas - needing star power/Nill needing to make a statement. Cause even if they had Vinny and got offered Seguin for what they gave up, I'm sure they say **** yea.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I remember in the mid 90s. A 3-way swap between the Stars-Canucks-Devils. Modano, Linden, and Niedermayer all swapping teams. I can't recall how legit it was. Thankful it never went down.

Lou Nanne (North Stars GM) said that he and Glen Sather talked back and forth for a while about Glen Sharpley for Glenn Anderson. Would have been some time between Anderson's draft obviously and before his sophomore year when he cracked 100 points. oilers obviously held on to Anderson, unfortunately.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
And what about Mario Lemieux?

There were some stories about 1th pick in 1984 draft -

- Nordiques offered All 3 Stastny brothers + Dale Hunter
- North Stars offered all draft picks for 1984 draft
- Canadians also. They had 14 picks that year. Le Magnifique was born in Montreal. Nobody could now imagine, what could be, if he played for Canadiens.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The North Stars' picks that year were quite crappy -- 10 of 12 picks never played at all in the NHL. Of course, the Pens might have picked very different players, but I think that would have been disastrous.
Nobody could now imagine, what could be, if he played for Canadiens.
I kind of wish he had played for Montreal. That would have been just amazing...

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
There was a lot of chatter, I believe confirmed, that on more than one occasion between 1991-1993 Montreal and Detroit kicked the tires at an Yzerman for Roy deal.

Reactions: Ford Prefect

Martin Riggs

You wanna see crazy?
Jan 27, 2014
LAPD- Homicide
There was a lot of chatter, I believe confirmed, that on more than one occasion between 1991-1993 Montreal and Detroit kicked the tires at an Yzerman for Roy deal.

Yzerman's wikipedia page talks about a proposed deal with Montreal for Mathieu Schnieder and a 1st rounder. Jacques Demers lobbied for him hard.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
When the Avs traded for Theo Fleury, the Flames had their choice of any prospect, but Tanguay. For practical purposes that boiled down to Regher or Skoula.

Calgary chose wisely.:banghead:

Funny side note. Avs aquired the 1st rounder (and Shean Donovan) that became Tanguay by trading Ricci + a second to the Sharks.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Funny side note. Avs aquired the 1st rounder (and Shean Donovan) that became Tanguay by trading Ricci + a second to the Sharks.

Lacroix traded for 4 1st round picks in '98 in an effort draft Vincent Lecavalier, the also had the first 2nd round pick as compensation for the Canucks hiring Marc Crawford. But all the teams finished with winning records and Phil Esposito wasn't interested in diluting the picks.

Later on in the draft the Avs tried to trade for the #7 pick where the Rangers took Malhotra, but Neil Smith said he wanted all 4 1st (perhaps tounge-in-cheek) and Lacroix hung up the phone on him.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Paul Coffey was almost on his way to Detroit instead of Pittsburgh in 1987.

Jimmy Devellano said he offered more than what Pittsburgh had offered for Coffey. Published reports say Detroit offered Adam Oates, 2 firsts, and $1 million, but the news article said that Devellano was even willing to offer more.

Sather wanted one of either Shawn Burr, Joe Murphy, Steve Yzerman, Gerard Gallant, Petr Klima, or Bob Probert. Devellano didn't want to trade any one of those players and the deal was declined.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=_OgMAAAAIBAJ&pg=1353,7500910&hl=en

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

- Canadians also. They had 14 picks that year. Le Magnifique was born in Montreal. Nobody could now imagine, what could be, if he played for Canadiens.

If the Canadiens deal happened, I wonder where Roy would end up.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I am shocked the Pens said no to the Nords offer. I know Mario was amazing in juniors (so was Lafontaine...) but damn they were being offered arguably the best player in the league after Gretzky, plus his line mates/brothers AND a top young player who had been a consistent 60/70 point scorer at that point. It was a quick fix offer that as actually good (Unlike all of Sam Pollocks).

Mario on the Habs would've been "funny." We would STILL be hearing about him from the Habs fans on here. Still can't see them winning more than the two cups they won without him tho.

Food for thought - if he ends up a Canadien, the Penguins aren't in Pittsburgh today. Francis doesn't become a Penguin.

Jimmy Devellano said he offered more than what Pittsburgh had offered for Coffey. Published reports say Detroit offered Adam Oates, 2 firsts, and $1 million, but the news article said that Devellano was even willing to offer more.

Hey at least they turned Oates into..... B-b-ernie Federko. Never mind.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan

That's interesting. If that a**h*** Pocklington had told Sather that he was thinking of selling Gretzky as a piece of meat the following year, Sather might have traded Coffey for Oates, Probert, and whomever, and Edmonton would have been strong at center a year later (Oates with Kurri and Tikkanen, or Simpson, would have been lights out).

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
Denis Potvin to the Habs at the 1973.

According to Bill Torrey, Sam Pollack was on him right up until he went to the podium, and although bill never revealed who was offered he did say there were some great players dangled in front of him.

In potvin's book he said that he was sure he was going to be traded to montreal but did not want to because he felt that he could be the #1 guy with the isles

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Denis Potvin to the Habs at the 1973.

According to Bill Torrey, Sam Pollack was on him right up until he went to the podium, and although bill never revealed who was offered he did say there were some great players dangled in front of him.

In potvin's book he said that he was sure he was going to be traded to montreal but did not want to because he felt that he could be the #1 guy with the isles

Torrey was also smart enough to build a long term winner instead of taking the quick fix Pollock offered.

Reactions: RR44

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Torrey reasoning was if he was getting offered so much for Potvin by Pollock he must be pretty special.

Haha, reminds me off when people know who the best poker player is in the gang. Suddenly it´s hard for him to win because everyone tries to analyze every move he makes and he is always in the spotlight. Of course. In this case Torrey was right about Pollock being right :)

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Maurice Richard was offered to the Rangers, and the Rangers rejected the trade.

Maurice Richard played minor ice hockey at all levels in the Montreal area before playing junior in Verdun, starting in 1938. By 1940, he had moved up to the Canadiens senior team in the Quebec league. He broke his ankle and played only one game.

He returned and played the whole 1941-42 season for the senior Canadiens. However, by the time he first tried out for the NHL Canadiens in 1942, he had suffered several injuries and he was a considerable risk for the Canadiens to take on.

Despite this, coach Dick Irvin insisted that general manager Tommy Gorman sign him, being impressed with his play in camp. Richard would break his right ankle and play only 16 games. Gorman attempted to make a trade with the New York Rangers for Phil Watson, but the Rangers' GM Lester Patrick refused the deal.

http://mauricerichard.homestead.com/Timeline/1942-43.html

BlueSinceBirth

Jul 4, 2006
What a terrible package Flyers offered (if its true).

I mean who wouldn't want Andy Delmore or Sandy McCarthy as a main piece for Ray Bourque? How is that even comparable to Rolston and a highly sought after Pahlsson? I seem to remember Blues GM Larry Pleau being pretty public that his offer was better than Colorado's, but I'm sure Bourque felt (correctly) that the Avs had a better shot at the Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->