Biggest "Almost" Deals Through History?

Martin Riggs

You wanna see crazy?
Jan 27, 2014
LAPD- Homicide
Wirtz and Pulford refused a deal with Islanders as "trying to get rid of 4th line players" when they offered Palffy, Green, Lachance+ for Roenick.

They also refused an offer from blues which was a package containing Brett Hull and Shayne Corson+.

I guess that is good explanation as to why that team turned into a garbage basement team.

Came to post exactly this. If you search through the Chicago Tribune online archives you can still find the articles.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I can remember back in 2000 there was a rumored deal that would have sent Keith Tkachuk to Toronto from Phoenix.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not as big as some here, but Quebec and Vancouver agreed on a Dale Hunter for Rick Lanz deal in 1984, only to have it scuttled by Quebec's ownership.

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
First coming to mind was Lindros/Sakic to Rangers and Fedorov to Carolina, already mentioned so I've got nothing.

I've never heard of Stamkos to NYR?

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Are there any significant unrestricted free agents who were close to signing with a team other than the one they ultimately chose?

Aldready mentioned in the first post, but got to be talked about in a thread like this: The Great One was in the summer of 1996 almost a Canuck, a Leaf and almost stayed with the Blues if I remember correct.

The Canucks where frontlines as the story goes. The story continues with that the owners were breathing down the GM of the Canucks (Quinn at the time?) and at one time Quinn was forced to call Gretzky in the middle in the night. After that Gretzky lost interest. Never know if this have been confirmed or not. Gretzky is too much of a gentleman to ever say such a thing right out.

At the same time Gretzky has given Fletcher credit for almost luring him to Toronto that summer. Actually I´m quite surprised that he didn´t go there. Ontario boy and all. His favourite team growing up, even if Howe was his idol if I remember correctley.

And he has said his first intent when landing with the Blues was to stay there. Tought that would be his last stop and he would retire a Blues. Janet is from St.Louis, so they had family ties as well. But what´s been told is that Gretzky got fed up with Keenans way off leading the team in that short time. Rumour off a falling out in the locker room during the play offs have been circulating. Some say Hull took Gretzkys side. Would have been nice to see what kind of chemistry they would have had if given a season or two...

Back to trades, still with The Great One and also mentioned in the first post. And this one would have more affect than even the Lindros trade:
Despite what many think, Janet wanted Wayne to choose Detroit in 1988. It was Gretzkys father who convinced him off LA. New York was the third alternative Sather presented to Gretzky. I think Sather is overrated overall, even if he has surprised me with his building off the good Rangers team off the last years. But I love him for the way he handled the Gretzky trade. At first refusual. Then making the best off the crappy situation. For both the Oilers and Gretzky. And giving Gretzky the last word of destination.

THAT no-trade to LA would have changed the landscape like none other trade. No California-hockey boom. No Anaheim, San José for starters... and that´s just the tip off the iceberg. The interest in hockey nationwide in the USA must have sky rocketed after that trade.

Maybe the Jets signing of Bobby Hull is the only one who historically could be argued as big as that. NHL landscape wise.

Brett Hull was all but signed by the Habs, and then Detroit came in with a late offer (for less cash) and he couldn't resist the chance for another cup or two.

Didn´t remember this! Nice little trivia to have. Extra nice when somebody chooses winning over money. Good to have in arguments :laugh:

Shanahan to the Blues for Brind'amour & CuJo ... instead the Devils were awarded Scott Stevens.

The Lindros trade and all its possibilities and the Shanny offer sheet changed the course of the NHL more than any othwr deals of the last 25 years.

Agree with this. If we take the cutoff at 27 years, the possible outcomes off the Gretzky-trade trumphs both. But the Stevens/Shanny-situation sure is material for some good late nights "what if´s". For a small appetizer: would Stevens ever become the player he became if not for the last touch by Lemaire/Robinson. Much like Bowman/Yzerman. Both great, great players before and when looking at All Star Teams and such both seem to have peaked before. But I would probably choose both Yzerman and Stevens after 94/95 instead off there high scoring days. Will be interesting if Ovechkin will be seen as Yzerman when his career is over. He is arguably a more complete player this season than ever before. Even if more exciting and blazing in the 05-10 version. Much like Yzerman and Stevens late 80 compared to mid 90 in my mind. Ovechkin still "has" one year on Stevens and two years on Yzermans to go before before their first SC.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
For those wondering about Stamkos to the Rangers:

http://nypost.com/2010/04/04/rangers-had-done-deal-for-stamkos/

Tampa fans are still breathing sighs of relief that Barrie didn't have the authority to pull the trigger.

Didn´t know it actually went that far...

And had forgotten that Lecavalier for Price trade that Gainey wanted to do. That article you linked is written in 2010, so the other two players rumoured included in the trade were in that time "no ones" to most but Canadian fans. It was actually Pacioretty and Subban. Tampa Bay was also sending a 1st round pick (believe in 2010). So Lecavalier + 1st for Price, Subban and Pacioretty. In june 2009 Lecavalier was one season removed from two great seasons a Rocket 52 goal 108 point season and a 92 point season. And only 28 years old. Pacioretty was a 29 year old rookie with 3 goals and 8 assist in 34 games. Subban was an OHL First Team All Star, but required one season of AHL-seasoning.

Today that trade seems ridicilous to even think about. Back then it kind off made sense in Gaineys defence... Today we know that Lecavalier quickly declined and that Price became everything was expected off him (not many early picked goalies do...) and that Subban and Pacioretty both exceeded anything anyone would have tought off them. June 2009 most expected Lecavalier to come back to form and be what was expected off him already when drafted. A top 5 center in the leauge. Sadly he was that for only two seasons. But boy was he great 06-08. If everyone develops about the same that´s one so loopsided trade that you have to take a couple off turns in the loop...

Last edited:

Randomtask68

Jul 19, 2010
Burlington, MA
In Phil Esposito's book "Thunder and Lightning: A No B.S. Hockey Memoir", he talks about how when he was the general manager of the Rangers in the late 80's he had chances to trade for Mark Messier and later on Wayne Gretzky. The Messier trade was in September 1986, and the Rangers would send "Kisio, Vanbiesbrouck, Tomas Sandstrom, and a second-round draft pick for Messier and five million in cash." Sort of confusing how it's written but the Rangers were the ones sending the five million to the Oilers. However, "Dick Evans, president and CEO of Madison Square Garden, and Jack Diller, president of the Rangers, said, "No, we're not going to spend five million dollars for Messier. We don't need to put people in the seats."

The Gretzky trade would have been the same offseason he was dealt to the Kings, and it was going to be the exact same assets going to Edmonton in the botched Messier deal except instead of five million they needed to send the Oilers fifteen million. But Esposito received the same response, and Evans even says "Frankly, we don't care if you ever win the Stanley Cup. What we want you to do is make the playoffs and go to the finals."

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
1960 - Detroit trades Red Kelly & Bill McNeill to New York for Bill Gadsby & Eddie Shack.... Both Kelly & McNeill refuse to Report... Deal nullified, with Kelly opting to Retire.... however as we know, Imlach offers promising player Marc Reaume to the Rangers in exchange for the rights to Kelly, manages to talk Red into coming out of Retirement & playing in Toronto (Kelly didnt much like playing at the Gardens as a Jr with St.Mikes nor as a Wing but went ahead anyway).. the rest history as we know. Kelly an integral, critical part of the Leafs magnificent romp through the 60's.

Randy Marsh

Aug 20, 2012
A guy on the 2000 Flyers once told me that in 2000, Bourque to the Flyers was actually a done deal. Not 'being discussed' but actually done. However, Harry Sinden screwed over Bob Clarke for some reason.

Shanahan to the Flyers in 1996-97 for Brind'Amour was also discussed.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Couple mentions of offer sheets but Selanne signed an offer sheet with the Calgary Flames in 1992.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I remember during the 2001 season when there was reports of about Eric Lindros being traded to Toronto because he was holding out and refused to play for the Flyers, a trade almost happened. I believe one player Toronto was going to give up was Tomas Kaberle and I think they also wanted to give up Danny Markov. However I remember Bobby Clarke saying they didn't want Markov since he was hurt and that killed the trade. The funny thing is 2 or 3 years later Bobby Clarke traded for Danny Markov from the Coyotes.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A guy on the 2000 Flyers once told me that in 2000, Bourque to the Flyers was actually a done deal. Not 'being discussed' but actually done. However, Harry Sinden screwed over Bob Clarke for some reason.

Sinden wanted Simon Gagne (rookie) and Clarke, rightly refused to to give him up. It was never a done deal. It was always contingent on that last piece.

Mad Brills*

2 leaf ones:
It might not be as big as some of the deals already said here, but apparently the leafs and flyers agreed on a trade that would send jeff carter + a 1st (2008 or 2009 I think) for tomas kaberle. However, it was nixed as kaberle used his no trade clause to veto the deal.

Also at the 2009 nhl draft, leafs and bruins discussed kessel. Burke nixed the original offer, which was kaberle and leafs 2009 1st rounder for kessel.

So in an alternate world, the leafs would have jeff carter, tyler seguin and kessel on the same team.

(SIGH)

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Similar to Sinden wanting Gagne. Gretzky to rangers was basically a done deal at the '96 deadline except that Smith didnt want to include Norström in the package. Ironically he later traded Norström to the Kings in what would become one of his worst trades.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Shanahan to the flyers was discussed but never materialized to anything however.

Hartford and Rangers talked but Rangers backed out when artford wanted Dube, Cloutier, Kovalev and draft pick.

Caps was also in on Shanahan and was ready to send Konowalchuk, Calle Johansson and pick but Whalers turned it down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad