Biggest "Almost" Deals Through History?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
and from 30 thoughts today, freidman said there was 2 proposed deals: small ones though.

1. Coburn to the oilers at the 2013 draft for 3 2nd rounders
2. Yandle to the isles for #5 overall at the 2014 draft. If that happens, no boychuk/leddy
I'm surprised the Oilers didn't jump at the chance to trade for Coburn considering everyone knew that Defense was their top priority going into the 2013 Draft.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
At 15, Gordie Howe was invited to & attended the Rangers Training Camp.... however, homesick, taking a lot of ribbing from veterans, turned off with the experience & returned home to Saskatoon. Following winter, approached by a Red Wings Scout, rest is history.

Summer of 97, the Rangers, having lost Messier to Vancouver sign Colorado's Joe Sakic to a $21M 3yr Offer Sheet, the Avalanche however stepping up to the plate & matching. At that tine, had Colorado not matched and lost Sakic, I believe the indemnification was 5 or 6 1st Round Picks from New York.

In 2007, Detroit was up against it with the Salary Cap, Datsyuks Contract up and they didnt have a lot of breathing room. A deal reportedly in place with New Jersey for Scott Gomez. Fortunately for the Wings, they did manage to sign Pavel, one of the most popular, creative, entertaining & best 2 way players in todays game.

Wonder who those picks turned out to be?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm surprised no one mentioned these two.

Sergei Fedorov signing a 6 year $38 million offer sheet from the Carolina Hurricanes in February 1998 when he was holding out from the Red Wings, however we know it was matched.

Shea Weber signing a 14 year $110 offer sheet from the Philadelphia Flyers in July 2012, that was matched by the Predators.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Sergei Fedorov signing a 6 year $38 million offer sheet from the Carolina Hurricanes in February 1998 when he was holding out from the Red Wings, however we know it was matched.

Shea Weber signing a 14 year $110 offer sheet from the Philadelphia Flyers in July 2012, that was matched by the Predators.

Fedorov has been mentioned. Several times.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
Zigmund Palffy as a Ranger.

That was already done. But there were some issues with it, so the trade was cancelled. And after some days Palffy was traded to LA Kings.

i remember this, it was supposed to be for Todd Harvey and a few more, what killed the deal was the isles wanted like 6-8 million dollars as well and the NHL said no way.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008

I don't read that well either, but I did notice it mentioned once or twice.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Clarke thought he had the following deal all wrapped up, until Arthur Griffiths pulled out at the last minute and went with the Bruins late offer.

Brian Propp, Rich Sutter, Dave Richter and a 1986 #1
for
Cam Neely, J.J. Daigneault and a 1986 #1

Vancouver media later disputed that deal saying that the flyers were not offering all of that--but through time more got added.

Propp was coming off of a 90pt 40 goal season and Pederson a 76pts 29 goal season

I am an oiler fan--so I do not have a dog in the fight

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Vancouver media later disputed that deal saying that the flyers were not offering all of that--but through time more got added.

Propp was coming off of a 90pt 40 goal season and Pederson a 76pts 29 goal season

I am an oiler fan--so I do not have a dog in the fight

A lot of dumb things were done by Vancouver in their never-ending quest for a 1st line centre. (Ok, it finally ended with Henrik Sedin, the first true #1 centre in franchise history.)

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
And prior to that, Vladimir Shadrin:

That's interesting. Namely, it took another 10 years, when things truly started to happen. But Shadrin did end up in Japan, I think? Old Starshinov had been there a little earlier too. Older Czechoslovak players started to leave (legally) for North America around that time (or in the early '80s), of course.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Nylander to the Oilers as a UFA until his wife nixed it. Signed for less in Washington.

Heatley to the Oilers from the Sens for Penner, Smid and Cogliano. Heatley nixed it.

Oilers offered David Clarkson MORE money than the Leafs but he turned it down to play for his hometown team.

Hard to believe that the Oilers are actually lucky to not be WORSE than they are.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Here is another story told by Bill Watters. In July 2002 when Bobby Holik signed that 5 year $45 million contract with the Rangers, he said the Leafs had offered him the same deal and obviously he didn't accept it from Toronto.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
I'm surprised the Oilers didn't jump at the chance to trade for Coburn considering everyone knew that Defense was their top priority going into the 2013 Draft.

The story is that the Oilers thought it was a done deal, but Holmgrem changed his mind at the last minute.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
My father was invited to the Bruins camp in 61--but when he asked them to pay the bus or train fair from Edmonton to Boston they declined and he quit hockey shortly there afterwards

Interesting. All of the teams were known for being parsimonious (nickled & dimed the players to death in fact in most cases), Boston in particular as they'd been financially challenged for decades. Back in the late 30's for example, Milt Schmidt, Dumart & Bauer had played for the Kitchener Greenshirts (the 3 childhood friends), signed by the Bruins, but only Dumart & Bauer invited to Training Camp in their rookie seasons as GM Art Ross felt that at 17, Schmidt was too young....

Expenditures incldg travel for Dumart & Bauer were covered. A bit dumbfounded that their lynchpin Center and best friend wasnt included, they did manage to talk Ross into at least giving Schmidt a try, even though just 17, so Ross sends him a letter of invitation to Camp, but getting there, thats on Schmidt. Out of your pocket kid. Though Im not completely certain, possible Dumart & Bauer threatened Ross, that you get him here or we walk, Ross grudgingly going along with it but being petty about it at the same time. Fortunately for the Bruins, Schmidt, who had to work through the summer to raise the funds complied & did make it to Camp, going on to becoming becoming one of the greatest players in Bruins & NHL history over 15yrs as a player... then of course as Coach, Asst GM & then General Manager, guy who gets Orr signed, robs Chicago blind in "the trade", architect of their Cup wins in the lat 60's & early 70's....

Now, can you imagine if based on principal Schmidt decided that as the Bruins were too cheap to cover his train fare then they clearly didnt really want him very badly, and so lets say he just dropped out of hockey or maybe opted out of the NHL, went rogue, went & played Senior or maybe in Europe, never a Bruin? And all over whatever it might have cost in train fare that the Bruins were too cheap to fork over & get the kid into camp?... Schmidt didnt make the team immediately, played in the minors for a few months, but midway through his Rookie Season? Called up, playing for the Bruins.... likely never did get reimbursed for his train fare.... Totally different headspace back then of course however I have heard similar stories & lots of them. Guys who just wouldnt jump when the NHL snapped their fingers and good for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: PepeBostones

Arthur*

From what I've heard, the Islanders almost traded the Chara + #2 pick (Spezza) package at the '01 draft to Boston for Jason Allison, but Milbury last minute decided to go for Yashin instead. I think the sticking point was Mike O'Connell asking for Scatchard instead of Bill Muckault as the throw-in.

Then of course there's the example of Mike Richter being traded to St. Louis at the deadline in 2001. Deal was apparently agreed to by all parties, but Sather decided to give Richter one last home game at MSG after almost 15 years with the Rangers, and he got a massive concussion in that game and missed the rest of the year, obviously nullifying the trade. Makes you wonder how different history would be. If he backstopped the Blues instead of Turek that playoffs, do they knock off Colorado and does Bourque retire? Probably not, but there's always the "what if?".

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Lindros to the Rangers in a deal which included Kovalev, Amonte and Weight.

That of course was trumped by the Flyers' offer for Lindros.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Roenick almost signed with the Redwings insted of the Flyers

Phoenix gave Detroit and Philadelphia permission to negotiate with Roenick.

the rumors/reports were that he was in Detroit. And was 100% ready to sign. He asked Ken Holland if they planned on doing anything with their goaltending. KH stated they had no plans, and Roenick balked and left Detroit, and signed with Philly. The deal was completed on June 30th.

Almost immediately after agreeing to terms with Philly, the rumors/reports of Hasek's impending departure in Buffalo surfaced. He told Buffalo he wanted to goto Detroit (I believe STL was also in the mix), and refused to allow Detroit to overpay. The Deal ended up being Kozlov/1st/2nd round pick. (Kozlov was actually one of Detroits top play-off point getter for years.)

Detroit went on to win the cup.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Phoenix gave Detroit and Philadelphia permission to negotiate with Roenick.

the rumors/reports were that he was in Detroit. And was 100% ready to sign. He asked Ken Holland if they planned on doing anything with their goaltending. KH stated they had no plans, and Roenick balked and left Detroit, and signed with Philly. The deal was completed on June 30th.

Almost immediately after agreeing to terms with Philly, the rumors/reports of Hasek's impending departure in Buffalo surfaced. He told Buffalo he wanted to goto Detroit (I believe STL was also in the mix), and refused to allow Detroit to overpay. The Deal ended up being Kozlov/1st/2nd round pick. (Kozlov was actually one of Detroits top play-off point getter for years.)

Detroit went on to win the cup.

Roenick always was a dumbass.

• Haha
Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
When Doug MacLean was in Columbus he had a couple of doozies.

First was declining Vancouver's offer of Cory Schneider for Gilbert Brule. Schneider was still in college at the time, Brule was stumbling through one of his first two seasons in Columbus.

Second was declining St. Louis offering Chris Pronger because he refused to part with Alexandre Picard. That in itself was a culmination of the following absurdity:
- Columbus had the 4th overall pick in 2004, with the chance to take either Cam Barker or Andrew Ladd. Chicago picked Barker at #3, leaving Ladd to Columbus.
- Columbus then traded down from #4 to #8, picking up #59 in the process. Carolina drafted Ladd, Columbus took Picard (and then used #59 on Kyle Wharton, one spot ahead of Brandon Dubinsky two spots ahead of Alex Goligoski, four spots ahead of David Krejci).
- Offered Pronger a year later, MacLean balked at giving up Picard.
- Picard would conclude his NHL career with 67 games played, 0 goals, and 2 assists. He has fewer career points than the guy drafted at #14, Devan Dubnyk...a goalie.

That's MacLean in a nutshell right there. Draft like garbage, be offered a get-out-of-jail-free card, and turn it down.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Here is another story told by Bill Watters. In July 2002 when Bobby Holik signed that 5 year $45 million contract with the Rangers, he said the Leafs had offered him the same deal and obviously he didn't accept it from Toronto.

Interesting read: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1840485

Although Holik would prefer not to move from his home in New Jersey, there's a feeling that the Leafs will bump their $40-million offer, believing they'll become a Cup contender with him. Then there are the Rangers. "Okay, I'll talk to you after I speak to Glen," says Gillis, winding up the call.

By six-fifteen, Gillis has Sather on the phone. The two men are friendly adversaries with a healthy mutual respect. There's no need for flattery; they both know what's at stake. Still, the heat of the day is only now breaking in Kingston, and an urgency has settled in the agent's office, a desire to get this done. This is a typical phase in negotiations, when emotions or fatigue can start to dictate a deal.

"Tell me a number, Glen, that I can take to my client." Sather's not prepared to be tied down, and they agree to speak again within the hour. Gillis calls Holik to tell him he thinks Sather will make an offer soon. "What's it going to take for you to play in New York?" he asks.

"I think $9 million across the board for five years would be good," says Holik matter-of-factly. The two men set to work designing a payment schedule: a $4-million signing bonus and $2-million payments to be made on July 1 each year throughout the life of the contract. They agree they will not ask for personal bonuses or a no-trade clause. Gillis -- who has negotiated these sorts of deals for Pavel Bure (who makes $10 million a year) -- reads back the figures. "Is that what you want?"

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
In Friedman's 30 thoughts column, he said the Flyers had a deal in place with Florida this past draft that included the Flyers' 2015 1st rounder. The deal apparently fell apart over Florida's refusal to add lottery protection. Any ideas who it would have been for? Maybe Kulikov?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
In Friedman's 30 thoughts column, he said the Flyers had a deal in place with Florida this past draft that included the Flyers' 2015 1st rounder. The deal apparently fell apart over Florida's refusal to add lottery protection. Any ideas who it would have been for? Maybe Kulikov?

I heard it was actually for 1st overall, with the Flyers adding a **** load of other assets. They were desperate for a #1 defensemen (have been since Pronger stopped playing) and had already whiffed twice with Suter and Weber so Snider was willing to throw the dice to get one (or at least a potential #1), in Ekblad.

Roenick always was a dumbass.

Agree 100%. Never liked him when he was on the Blackhawks, he's just an ignorant loud mouth ass. Its actually hilarious he wouldn't signed with the Wings because he thought the goaltending needed improvement, meanwhile he signs with the Flyers :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->