Bigger surprise: Sabres in 1st place or Blues in 30th place?

Bigger surprise: Sabres in 1st place or Blues in 30th place?

• Sabres

• Blues

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
This is a tough question. I figured the Sabres would be better, but not a 1st place team.

I would have considered the Blues roster to be in the upper half of the league at worst. I guess I'm going with the Blues. They should be contenders. I think more people would have expected the literal opposite.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Sabres for sure. Blues playing like poop should be no suprise. Many of us called it

You may have ....but in all the “who will be the dark horse?” thread and playoff prediction thread and most improved team thread I swear 80 percent of everyone had the blues either as the top team or as the second best team. (And third in division behind preds and jets for predictions) including me.

I didn’t put them as dark horse or most improved but I did say third in the division

Nothings over yet it’s still very early.

It is funny though how people spend time talking about the ROR trade (again me Incouded, but Hutton played half a season for the blues and had the best save percentage in the league, and not enough talk was given to that subtraction and addition since it wasn’t a free agent signing, Thompson has gone from worst player on our regular roster to a hero in the last three games scoring in all and tying the shootout in the 4th rd yesterday to keep us tied) ...but I’m sure Blues fans love ror and rightfully so. I’m more excited about the draft picks. I don’t think RORs love
For the game is going to come back until he wins. Which I think could happen as soon as this year, again it’s a new coach they have a chance it’s really early.

But yeah now Buffalo is third overall and they haven’t played since being first so those 24 hours were fun. Maybe we will experience that again in a few years...

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Hutton and Ullmark as the Goalies is why. LOL. You don't honestly think they are the real deals, do you?

Ullmark has been stellar as he's progressed from the SEL to the AHL and he's got the potential to be a long term #1 goalie. You obviously haven't watched him in net, he's definitely able to read the puck and control himself earnestly. Hutton as his mentor and the temporary #1 is fine for now. But, the team is playing within it's structure defensively since adding Steve Smith as their D coordinator for lack of a better phrase. Their PK is currently within the top eight in the league. Combine that with defensive depth and speed coming from the back end, Ristolainen being pushed down the defensive structure and giving him less work the team is progressing. In addition, the compete level is immensely better than it has been in 8 seasons. So to sit here and say that, is a bit lackadaisical. In no way am I saying this team is a President's trophy winning roster, but they are definitely a much more complete team and is winning on the road regularly. In addition the home crowd will be much harder to go into as an opposing team.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Hutton and Ullmark as the Goalies is why. LOL. You don't honestly think they are the real deals, do you?

Why not? Why can’t this tandem be the real deal?

Does writing LOL in giant letters make you more confident or make you believe what you’re saying is going to be true. Need I remind you, you said buffalo was going to be a bottom 5 team? Why can’t you be wrong again. I know you just think these are a couple of scraps but ...if you just took the time to look who they are and what they’ve done, maybe I wouldn’t have to spell it out for you. But I guess people don’t see what they don’t want to see. If your wanting to be informed, ....this will be a bit lengthy feel free to skip it if your one of those guys who doesent care about reality and just blindly wishes players aren’t good.

Hutton is already mature enough and shown enough to prove he’s ready, how long will it last, who knows, he is no kid At 32 maybe he has a few excellent years in him which is what he’s signed for. Do you think the blues miss him? I sure do. Last year he played an entire half (essentially half w/38 GP in that season with the best save percentage in the entire league at 938.00) and people said he wouldn’t be able to do well in Buffalo. Well.....is he not pushing seven straight wins and a 920 save percentage playing in 18 games already. It’s not just his numbers it’s the quality of saves and timely saves, and the miraculous saves. It’s made our defenders jump into the play and they’ve combined for over 50 pts already. It’s also made our forwards more confident to take chances. Linus Ullmark (5-0-1 ) undefeated inn regulation this year had over. 930 seven percentage in a handful of games and all I heard was small sample size. Well he’s doing it again and was along with Tage Thompson of all guys the only two reasons we won the last game. This isn’t some fluke backup here....this is a potential future #1 for us that the sabres have developed properly in the minors for years never rushing him and just waiting for lehners contract to finish. In the ahl not only did he do well but he went to back to back all star games. And if neither work out long term, there’s always the Finnish world juniors stand out we already signed this past summer in Ukka Pekka Luukkonen. I do wonder though if laughing at the goalie crop is some kind of subconscious the leafs used to have an unbelievable goalie crop and now Buffalo does , maybe deep inside it’s one big .....“HOLLLY Mackinaw what turn of eveeeeeentssss!”

So despite your LOL....if you took the time to watch more then One game....the Goaltending looks pretty good on Buffalo right now and to Be honest the defense is only going to get better too.

I know Unlike Toronto we don’t get half hour segments on every little forward and defensemen on the sabres in Canada like there is on the leafs and while they all yell dermott ozhiganov , ....We have two of the very best defensive prospects out there right now in Pilut and Samuelson. The latter is a monster with leadership tattooed in his veins, the first was a SHL standout a scout called “more nhl ready then Rasmus Dahlin” he put up better numbers there after All...... And just how is he fairing right now in the ahl? He’s tearing it up ...I believe at last look leading all dman in points and plus minus amongst other things. Few forwards could also be used right now but we’re talking about the back end. So I don’t need to mention insignificant things like having three first round picks this year we got for getting rid of all the headcases this summer. Pilut should already be on the team and with bogosian becoming a pleasant surprise, and all the others emerging ....don’t look now but it’s all of the sudden a respectable defensive group.

You know what though? This won’t last. There’s absolutely no way this team is going to finish in the top 5 or even top two in the division unless lightning strikes, pun intended. But we’re ahead of schedule right now the same way we probably were no where near as bad as we finished last year. Things happen, but if you took the time to learn about the guys you’re clearly and obviously doubting for no reason. (As my info shows above) Maybe the doubt would erase..... Maybe you wouldn’t laugh. And maybe, finally ....you wouldn’t be wrong?

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Ullmark has been successful at every level, from being the youngest goalie since Lundqvist to be the SHL's goalie of the year in his draft +1 season to now in the NHL. Do you have any *actual* reason to believe he's not the real deal? Or are you just incredulous because no one's been fueling up the hype machine for him over the last several years?

Hutton also played 39 games last year and maintained the league's highest sv%. His stats aren't even remarkable this year, just solid.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I obviously thought the Blues would be much better, but too many people didn't factor in just how bad Allen is. I think we overlooked the inexperienced coaching staff though, I think that has caused quite a few issues.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Sabres and not close for me. They were terrible last year. Any middle of the road team can suck for a stretch. The Sabres have jumped 30 spots since last year. The Blues have dropped 14? It’s obvious.

Reactions: authentic

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
honestly i'd say Blues because i would never guess they'd be this bad at this point but Buffalo has had that "dark horse" feeling for me with the addition of Dahlin. Kinda how i've felt about the Avs with the talent they have had.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The Sabres drafted 1st overall last year. They are the biggest surprise for me. The Blues missed the playoffs, I don't think they're really this bad but I didn't they'd be great either. Jake Allen sucks.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Blues,I was expecting them to be at minimum a solid Playoff team

Sabres I was expecting to be a bubble team which they're certainly doing better than so far but it's only been like 20 games and they'll be back to just being a midling Playoff team in the standings soon enough

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
I take it you don't watch much of either.

As for the poll, very good question. I'll give the edge to the Sabres but both are extremely surprising.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
LOL. Hutton is a career Backup, playing way over his head. And Ullmark is nothing special. At. All.

It would appear that some of you Sabres fans got very delusional, very quickly.
The only one delusional is yourself their on ice play says otherwise....Ullmark has been doing great long before this year they just never rushed him to the NHL. Hutton had the best save pct in the league just last year in 30+ games...

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I thought Buffalo would be giving Colorado a run for 1st pick overall. Didn’t see the Blues as being an elite team.... so Buffalo surprises me the most here.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The Sabres were bound to have their big leap season eventually. I do think that Buffalo's goalie play will revert as the season goes on, but young teams have these kinda of successful leaps all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad