Bigger Canadian icon - Wayne Gretzky or Terry Fox?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I've never heard of Terry Fox.

But I am not sure Wayne Gretzky is a bigger name worldwide than Justin Bieber, Geddy Lee, or Leonard Cohen.

bieber, yes, but probably not forever. geddy lee, no; leonard cohen, no. joni and neil (not peart), probably. shania and bryan adams, yes.

I also feel like bobby Orr is more known than Gretzky in Canada. Or am I out to lunch?

conversely, am i out to lunch if i ask: is there a person in canada who has been in the country for five years or more who doesn’t know who wayne gretzky is?

The Greatest Canadians of CBC

top 10:
1T.C. Douglas
2Terry Fox
3Pierre Trudeau
4Sir Frederick Banting
5David Suzuki
6Lester Pearson
7Don Cherry
8Sir John A. Macdonald
9Alexander Graham Bell
10Wayne Gretzky
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

. . .

79: Ed Belfour

what?

to this point, and i know it's not something that gets talked about a lot on hfboards, but uh, half the people in the world are women, and the women i know definitely care more about terry fox than they do about wayne gretzky.

also, half of the ppl in the country are women and the “ten greatest canadians” are all men? i think most women would care more about nellie mcclung than don cherry.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I can't comment on the Canadian POV, but Gretzky is a global icon for our sport. Terry is virtually unknown outside of Canada.

Reactions: gary69

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When Canadian vote for the greatest Canadian ever, Wayne come up ahead quite a bit of Orr.

top 10:
1T.C. Douglas
2Terry Fox
3Pierre Trudeau
4Sir Frederick Banting
5David Suzuki
6Lester Pearson
7Don Cherry
8Sir John A. Macdonald
9Alexander Graham Bell
10Wayne
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
11: Métis leader and martyr Louis RielWith a report from Canadian Press
18: Singer Shania Twain
19: Hockey player Bobby Orr
20: Comedian and actor Mike Myers
21: The Unknown Soldier
22: Kinsmen founder Hal Rogers
23: Hockey player Maurice "The Rocket" Richard
24: First World War General Arthur Curry
25: Suffragette Nellie McClung
36: Ernie Coombs and his TV character Mr. Dressup.
37: Native warrior Tecumseh
38: Hockey player Mario Lemieux
53: Gordie Howe
59: Tim Horton
67: Patrick Roy
68: Jean Béliveau

I am an American but I feel like I know much about Canada and T.C. Douglas threw me for a loop and I had to go to Google.

Gretzky himself most likely would say Fox.

Reactions: nnynetpotato

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It's itself a very Canadian thing that Terry Fox isn't better know all around the world (although the charity run in his name is held around the planet).

If Fox had been American and the same fate had played itself out, he'd today be about as well-known as Abraham Lincoln or Michael Jackson. But since he's Canadian, he hasn't been mass marketed to the world.

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
I'm not Canadian, but I don't even know who Terry Fox is.
Are you guys suggesting there are people in Canada that don't know who Wayne Gretztky is?

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
As a 13 YO when Terry rolled through Ontario and Toronto it was hard not to be moved, impressed and and downright proud of the young man. He left an indelible impression on me that I will never forget.

But I think this is Gretzky. It's possible that Fox is more iconic in Canada but Gretzky world wide.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Gretzky is definitely bigger

Maybe Terry Fox is more important - but if youre asking whose more famous or well known its definitely Gretzky

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Terry Fox was admired and idolized even by people who had no interest in sports.

It's hard to explain to people who weren't around back then, but the inspiration of his marathon and the sadness of his death had an impact on this country that hasn't been matched by anything in my lifetime.

The question there is just how much staying power that has for people who weren't around back then. I had heard vaguely of the Terry Fox story, though I doubt there is any awareness of it among the 'common man' outside Canada or North America, but I can't say that I would have been able to associate it with the name itself. At the end of the day, it was a human interest story, and I think those type of stories tend to be very much driven by the emotional appeal in the moment.

In comparison, Gretzky's achievement within the sport of hockey is something that is objective and factual. It doesn't necessarily evoke emotion, it evokes acknowledgement that he was the best. The value of that obviously depends on how much you value hockey, but within the Canadian context of course there's hardly anyone who's not at least aware of hockey and the NHL.

As far as national icons go, Canada does of course have the problem that it's a young country and one that's mostly stayed out of the limelight of history in the time of its existence. Most places around the globe will have their national myths, their tales of ancient glory, the battle won against overwhelming odds, the hero leading the revolt against foreign oppressors, etc., etc. For Canada it's always been a bit more complicated.

Reactions: amethyst

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
+ atwood, these days

My mom's been a fan of Margaret for quite some time, before it was cool I guess. My wife's also followed that new The Handmaid's Tale television show but I doubt she really knows who Margaret Atwood is. They're Swedish and Estonian.

As far as national icons go, Canada does of course have the problem that it's a young country and one that's mostly stayed out of the limelight of history in the time of its existence. Most places around the globe will have their national myths, their tales of ancient glory, the battle won against overwhelming odds, the hero leading the revolt against foreign oppressors, etc., etc. For Canada it's always been a bit more complicated.

Even if a country is somewhat old that doesn't necessarily mean there is an obvious national icon everybody looks up to. I highly doubt a lot of Swedes actually look up to Gustav Vasa, for instance. It's way too abstract and far off in history and also kinda irrelevant in today's context since Swedes and Danes haven't feuded with each other for a loooong time.

Reactions: Sentinel

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
It's itself a very Canadian thing that Terry Fox isn't better know all around the world (although the charity run in his name is held around the planet).

If Fox had been American and the same fate had played itself out, he'd today be about as well-known as Abraham Lincoln or Michael Jackson. But since he's Canadian, he hasn't been mass marketed to the world.

That's fascinating to me as somebody from the states. Was there like a reluctance to do so or just not in the character of the nation?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
That's fascinating to me as somebody from the states. Was there like a reluctance to do so or just not in the character of the nation?

The rest of the world do not know many local hero of Belgium, Germany, Japan, Nigeria, Mexico, USA/UK ability to export cultural production and have stuff about them well known all around is just on an completely different level.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
bieber, yes, but probably not forever. geddy lee, no; leonard cohen, no. joni and neil (not peart), probably. shania and bryan adams, yes.

conversely, am i out to lunch if i ask: is there a person in canada who has been in the country for five years or more who doesn’t know who wayne gretzky is?

what?

also, half of the ppl in the country are women and the “ten greatest canadians” are all men? i think most women would care more about nellie mcclung than don cherry.
I cant believe Don Cherry is more popular than Celine Dion. And I hate Celine Dion.

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
It may be my age, I would've been in middle school at the time, so impressionable, but I well remember Fox being on the evening news here in the states. Wasn't there a TV movie? I'd swear I saw it as a kid. Could be as a hockey player I was more attune to what was going on in the North, but I bet if my friends were quizzed there'd be a handful who'd remember Terry's Run.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
When Canadian vote for the greatest Canadian ever, Wayne come up ahead quite a bit of Orr.

top 10:
1T.C. Douglas
2Terry Fox
3Pierre Trudeau
4Sir Frederick Banting
5David Suzuki
6Lester Pearson
7Don Cherry
8Sir John A. Macdonald
9Alexander Graham Bell
10Wayne Gretzky
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
11: Métis leader and martyr Louis RielWith a report from Canadian Press
18: Singer Shania Twain
19: Hockey player Bobby Orr
20: Comedian and actor Mike Myers
21: The Unknown Soldier
22: Kinsmen founder Hal Rogers
23: Hockey player Maurice "The Rocket" Richard
24: First World War General Arthur Curry
25: Suffragette Nellie McClung
36: Ernie Coombs and his TV character Mr. Dressup.
37: Native warrior Tecumseh
38: Hockey player Mario Lemieux
53: Gordie Howe
59: Tim Horton
67: Patrick Roy
68: Jean Béliveau
When Don Cherry tops Gretzky, there is something wrong.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It may be my age, I would've been in middle school at the time, so impressionable, but I well remember Fox being on the evening news here in the states. Wasn't there a TV movie? I'd swear I saw it as a kid. Could be as a hockey player I was more attune to what was going on in the North, but I bet if my friends were quizzed there'd be a handful who'd remember Terry's Run.

Yes there was an HBO movie.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Gretzky..............although Gretzky would probably say Fox. It all depends on how the question is asked. Fox is definitely not more well known than Gretzky outside of Canada. No chance. So Gretzky wins that in a landslide there. Inside of Canada it is still closer but to me it is still Gretzky being more well known.

I respect Terry Fox a great deal, who doesn't? Despite having scares (and deaths) in my own family when it comes to cancer I guess you could say I am always skeptical about fundraising for cancer and where the money goes. But for me the most incredible thing Fox did was from a physical standpoint. Most people couldn't dream of doing that 100% healthy.

Reactions: amethyst

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
The vote was in 2004 when he was playing quite well for the Leaf (you know hockey is maybe too big in Canada when Ed Belfour show up on a list like this, if Don Cherry in the top 10 is not enough of a sign).

The other thing to keep in mind is, if I remember correctly, there weren't any "ranked ballots" - everybody who participated just voted for the one person they thought was greatest. (Not sure how they prevented people from potentially voting more than once).

As a result, Ed Belfour being ranked the 79th greatest Canadian could have been the result of a few throwaway votes from a fraction of a percent of the people who participated.

I mean, it's ridiculous that Belfour even got one vote for greatest Canadian, but a dozen or two votes (from rapid Leafs fans in 2003?) certainly could have given him a spot on the list.

(Or who knows - maybe Belfour promised a bunch of voters a billion dollars).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad