Bigger Canadian icon - Wayne Gretzky or Terry Fox?

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by Francis Vernal, Oct 10, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Francis Vernal

Francis Vernal Registered User

I thought this would be an interesting question and I can't personally decide. Wayne needs no introduction, but Terry Fox literally symbolized a life vs. death struggle and is maybe the closest to a "Rocky" figure that's ever lived.

2. Art of Sedinery

Art of Sedinery Registered User

Depends on the definition of icon. Gretzky is easily the most recognizable Canadian name around the world. But at the end of the day, he was just really good at a game. Terry Fox embodied courage, strength, passion, resiliency, selflessness and so many other things, he was a true hero and something for every Canadian to look up to.

shello, puckpilot and rfournier103 like this.
  3. Canadiens1958

Canadiens1958 Registered User

Retired
    Every year and throughout each year across Canada, there are Terry Fox fundraisers raising money to fight cancer.

Terry Fox will never be forgotten.

amethyst and BadgerBruce like this.
  4. The Panther

The Panther Registered User

I guess Terry Fox is "bigger" internationally, because of the Terry Fox run being a big international event. What he represents is also obviously far more important.

Ageless likes this.
  5. ehhedler

ehhedler Registered User

I’m a Euro and I have absolutely no idea who Terry Fox is. Never heard the name in my whole life, and I have pretty good/relatively good general sports knowledge outside of hockey.

Rogue Winger, shello, Anton13 and 6 others like this.
  6. alko

alko Registered User

Home Page:
    You speak my words. Sorry, comrades from Canada, Gretzky is Gretzky.

Vanzig and Tmu84 like this.
  7. Claude Pepe Lemieux

Claude Pepe Lemieux Greatest Montreal Canadiens of all time! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm Canadian and I have absolutely no idea who Terry Fox is so Gretzky for me.

bigtim1988 and Vanzig like this.
  8. Ingvar

Ingvar Registered User

Yup, I had no idea who Terry Fox was without googling.

Vanzig, Tmu84 and Sentinel like this.
  9. Nick Hansen

Nick Hansen Registered User

Gretzky is absolutely the bigger name internationally, but I also knew about Terry Fox before reading this thread. The embodiment of the Canadian spirit to me. What a fighter.

amethyst and Tarantula like this.
  10. solidmotion

solidmotion Registered User

it is mindboggling to me that there are canadians who don't know who terry fox is. i get that he wouldn't be famous internationally but for canadians...

11. jumptheshark

jumptheshark Rebooting myself Sponsor

currently creating a new identity

I was in a small village in Africa a few years ago and when I mentioned I was Canadian. Their response was "like Wayne gretzky'

Vanzig likes this.
  12. BigBadBruins7708

BigBadBruins7708 Registered User

internationally, its goes

Canada = hockey
    hockey = wayne gretzky

Vanzig and scott clam like this.
  13. Canadiens1958

Retired
  14. Staniowski

Staniowski Registered User

Terry Fox.jpg

Terry Fox 2.jpg

Terry Fox is a bigger icon in Canada than Wayne Gretzky.

As well-known as Gretzky is in the country, Terry Fox is even more widely known. And more deeply admired.

Hockey players gradually fade from the public consciousness over time...with each new generation, fewer people know Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull...but every Canadian kid learns about Terry Fox.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    daddy, Flamer12 and amethyst like this.
  15. The Panther

The Panther Registered User

I don't doubt that Gretzky's name is known to more people that Terry Fox's. Gretzky is known to every Canadian and nearly every American, and plenty of Europeans (and even Britons) and some Japanese/Koreans know who he is, at least by name.

But the Terry Fox run is a major event in many countries world-wide. I used to live in Taiwan and it was a fairly big thing there. It occurs in Europe (more than a dozen countries), the middle-east, and even in a few countries in Africa, despite zero corporate sponsorship.

So if "bigger" means "more people by head-count", then it's Gretzky. But if "bigger" means more global and more important, it's Terry Fox.

Vanzig likes this.
  16. Ageless

Ageless Registered User

In school we are taught about Terry Fox.

17. JackSlater

JackSlater Registered User

I'm pretty confident that it is Gretzky by virtue of being more well known. Each represents a lot of what Canadians aspire to. Fox has a more amazing story.

For what it's worth (not a whole lot in my opinion) Fox finished second in CBC's greatest Canadians list when the poll was made in 2004. Gretzky finished tenth.

Vanzig likes this.
  18. blood gin

blood gin Registered User

But the global reach of Terry Fox (we really don't know who he is in America) his country of origin doesn't seem to be a big part of it. Gretzky is synonymous with hockey and Canada. It's part of the package. Fox died incredibly young so we don't really know what impact he would be having now and what he would've done. And of course this shouldn't be held against him. But Gretzky's impact and presence across many decades gives him the edge.

19. 1967th Heaven

1967th Heaven Registered User

Student
    Interesting question!

I think it would be interesting to see the result of this discussion on a non hockey forum. Obviously any poster who has an account on hfboards from any country will have heard of Gretzky but possibly not Terry Fox (as some European posters in this thread have already attested to). However, I know the Terry Fox run is an international event and I would be interested to know how many European non-hockey fans have heard of Terry Fox and not Wayne Gretzky, I would imagine there would be a fair few.

In terms of here in Canada, it is impossible to have gone through the public school system in the past 20ish years and not have heard of Terry Fox. Every year I was in school from 1st to 12th grade our school held a Terry Fox run and, in the lower grades, we often did actual lessons on Terry in the days leading up to the runs. I cannot imagine that anyone who has grown up in Canada does not know Terry Fox but I could see a very very very very outside chance they have not heard of Gretzky. (I actually remember talking to a buddy when I was about 13 who was not a hockey fan and had been born and raised in Canada who thought Gretzky was Russian, yikes.)

Regarding what they actually did, Gretzky was the best player ever in the sport that runs through the veins of Canadians. He was a great ambassador for the game and a great person on top of that. Terry Fox, however, was a hero. He belongs in a class all his own and is one of the greatest Canadians to ever live.

20. DannyGallivan

DannyGallivan Your world frightens and confuses me

I file this under "Not Everything Needs to be a Competition". However, I get what you're trying to do. I agree that Gretzky is internationally the most recognizable Canadian of the two. However, I know for a fact that they really push Terry Fox in Canadian elementary schools (as well they should), so within our borders it's a toss-up.

By the way, the real most recognizable Canadian icon is a toss up between a random maple leaf and any random mountie.

21. Staniowski

Staniowski Registered User

Gretzky is not as well known in Canada as Terry Fox. Every Canadian child learns about Terry Fox in school; every new citizen learns about Terry Fox; almost every segment of Canadian society knows Fox. Gretzky, a little less so.

This is true. Gretzky is very, very well-known in Canada, and Terry Fox is even more well-known.

22. Canadiens1958

Retired
  23. JackSlater

JackSlater Registered User

I doubt it. It's a situation where the vast majority know each of them, so any difference is likely negligible. I definitely know relatively new citizens who do not know Fox but do know Gretzky, at least by name. Anecdotal obviously.

24. Nick Hansen

Nick Hansen Registered User

Sentinel likes this.
  25. vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov ugh

Home Page:
    i moved back to canada after spending the majority of the previous 12 years in the us and man, i honestly haven’t heard the name terry fox or thought of him in a long long time.

sadly i also wonder if it’s a matter of those of us who lived through the 80s, in the immediate aftermath of the run (he died just before i was born), where it’s like, of course, terry fox. but without those t-shirts everywhere and nobody watching real tv so no canada heritage moments in your ad space, he’s much less of a cultural touchstone for people born in the 90s and later.

Tarantula likes this.