Votes: 28 34.1%
  • Cozens

Votes: 54 65.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
As the title says, who breaks out bigger this season? These are the two guys who seem the most primed to explode onto the scene, with comparable career points per game - 0.41 for Mitts and 0.425 for Cozens. The question isn't "Who has more points at the end of the season", so take into account points-per-game, overall impact on the game, etc.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
It he stays health throughout the season I say Mitts. I don't understand how so many people have written him off already... Mitts and Cozens are different.

-Mitts has the skills and talent to be a legit top 6 forward in this league he just has to stay healthy.

-Cozens has the work ethic and motivation to be great but still needs to develop his shot and play making ability.

Honestly I can see both taking big steps this year and we'll be thrilled with both of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: allsilverdreams

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
What changes first? Cozens luck Or Mittelstadts ability to stay healthy?

I’ll vote on the luck

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
You need to expand your poll. There's plenty of players with potential to put in a surprise breakout season. Mitts? Cozens? Krebs? OP? Cobra? Rasmus? Other Rasmus? UPL? Tage???

Gotta put the O/U at 2.5.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Ok. I respect your need to stay focused. Cheers.

The reason for it is that these two guys, at least in my perception, are the biggest "established" unknowns up front. We can all probably make reasonable guesses as to Olofsson's goal total, Tuch's points, etc. But when it comes to who Mitts and Cozens are gonna be in the NHL, the jury is still out. I also see / hear their names come up fairly regularly in terms of trade talks / future roster building (Mitts more so, but growing voices of, "If Cozens doesn't show offensive improvement this season...").

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Head says Cozens. Heart says Mitts.

Can I have both, please?

images

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I'm as big of a Mitts stan as there is on these boards, but I went with Cozens. While everyone else was vacationing on beaches and living at lake homes, this dude was hunting and killing bears with his bare hands. He does all the little things right - shows up to Amerks games, supports the prospects, fights anyone that messes with his boys on the ice... The kid is gonna kill it this year.

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
If you could combine Cozens physical tools and work ethic with Mitts skill and vision you'd get a hell of a player.

Cozens is trending better at the moment so him. This is Mitts last chance in all likelihood.

Reactions: Team Cozens

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I think Mitts has a better year in terms of offense and points. I think Cozens has a nice year himself too, just not as good.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
If you could combine Cozens physical tools and work ethic with Mitts skill and vision you'd get a hell of a player.

Mitts and Cozens have VERY similar work ethics. Always have.

And this isn't directed at you, but as a general vent:

I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised that everyone and their 3rd cousin twice removed is calling Mitts "injury prone" (or something thereabouts) , but I am. Last year was quite literally the first year in his hockey career that he sustained anything more than a minor injury. He doesn't have a history of getting nicked up.

I voted Mitts here. Cozens I think is a year away from his true breakout.

Reactions: jc17

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I like Mitts here. Players and coaching staff have called him one of the hardest working and expecting a breakout. Cozens does a lot of things well but I don't know if he's quite figured out his offensive game yet.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'm very bearish on Mittelstadt's upside. Looking at how these other players are pushing for a roster spot, I'm not sure his future success will be in Buffalo.

Reactions: deVolt

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
You see these flashes from Mitts but I think there’s too much against him here in Buffalo and so I don’t expect him to get the chances that Cozens will.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he goes by the deadline, even though I like him better than Krebs.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
You see these flashes from Mitts but I think there’s too much against him here in Buffalo and so I don’t expect him to get the chances that Cozens will.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he goes by the deadline, even though I like him better than Krebs.
I see your points. I think Mittelstadt will have plenty of opportunity. Both players being middle 6 guys on the Sabres, they'll play with the same quality of linemates this year and I doubt he'll miss out on PP time being a top skill guy. I'd be real surprised if he was moved out this year at the deadline seeing as though he is signed through next season and not a lot of guys are really ready to step into that spot.

There could be a couple reasons to move on from him this season. First, if they bring in a solid middle 6 center from the outside and CM is part of the return or washed out. Second, CM flounders through the first few months disinterested and unmotivated. Third, some team offers a knock-your-socks-off. Any of those 3 scenerios seem pretty unlikely to play out.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Who is more likely; Cozens. Who had a nice showing at the World Championships, and in addition is younger and has not had many if any lingering injury concerns or build up. I want Mittelstadt to just make it through like 65 games. For me, his upside is now a third liner.

Note: I voted Cozens.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Mitts and Cozens have VERY similar work ethics. Always have.

And this isn't directed at you, but as a general vent:

I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised that everyone and their 3rd cousin twice removed is calling Mitts "injury prone" (or something thereabouts) , but I am. Last year was quite literally the first year in his hockey career that he sustained anything more than a minor injury. He doesn't have a history of getting nicked up.

I voted Mitts here. Cozens I think is a year away from his true breakout.

You get injured once, you’re injury prone to people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad