Big year for Cowen

The Fuhr*

I had a feeling you were gonna say that. He didn't get top 4 minutes, put up bad numbers, took more PIMS than any other D, and almost every teammate had better numbers away from him. Then again, he passed your eye test so it's probably just a personal vendetta.

This past season he averaged 20:30 a game and in 68GP had 6G 15Pts was even and threw 214hits

I'd argue those are good numbers for a 4D

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Clearly I'm not the one with the vendetta ;)

Being childish isn't going to change that your "eye-test" doesn't match the facts. If you'd like to keep having a discussion about Cowen I'd be glad to, but I'm not interested in throwing insults back and forth.

This past season he averaged 20:30 a game and in 68GP had 6G 15Pts was even and threw 214hits

I'd argue those are good numbers for a 4D

We were talking about 2011-2012 so this season isn't relevant.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
His overall footspeed is alright.

He just looks like a newborn foal sometimes with his legs and body going every which way.

I expect a nice year from him. Still think that if he and ceci reach their ceilings, they will be workhorses if the sens were to win the cup.

If Cowen and Ceci reach their ceilings, Ottawa will win multiple cups in the next 10 years.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Inconsistent, yes. A #4? No way. Cowen was better in his rookie season than I expected.

Cowen was in beast mode during the playoffs and leading into the AHL season during the lockout, despite it being a short stint. Got injured and hasn't got back to that step. I expect a better season from him after a summer to fully recover.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So much untapped potential. Very excited.

Thanks for posting this

It's actually a very good example of a single play breeding bias and scapegoating. I remember how much people were on his back after this play when it's just... an unlucky break. Well actually, it's a typical Montreal lucky break

Thing is most people on forums (sportifs de salons, not sure what is the term in English) can't even skate at half this speed, or have absolutely no idea at how fast the game goes in the NHL. Cowen committed himself on breaking (he had to, unless he wanted to risk injuring Anderson) and simply didn't anticipate that the puck was going to go at his feet (who would have?). Notice that he actually swung very hard on Plekanec (who surely felt it through equipment), so he was recovering his balance after throwing himself on the ice to try and break the play. If you can put the play in "reality", it's easy to see that Cowen hardly could have prevented this to happen.

Things like that (and worse, much worse) happen to about every NHL player at some point. If you want to see great players scoring in their own net or making terrible blunders, just watch some youtube videos. There's a ton of it, for every NHL player

I wish that going forward people will over-scrutinize a little bit less just to enjoy the game of hockey a little bit more. After all, they are the best guys who can give us the best possible show on the planet.

What is the most funny is that we see Erik Karlsson make major blunders too, as bad or even worse than Phillips and Cowen, but just because his style is so "sexy" he will get a pass every single time. Bias is so evident.

Oh and my preference for the players mentioned is :

Karlsson >>>>>>>>>>Cowen>>>>>>Phillips

A lot of times I have been thinking the best for Cowen would be to be traded away from this fanbase (who really don't appreciate him) to start from scratch again and become the dominant player he can be. I'm still hoping

Last edited:

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Thanks for posting this

It's actually a very good example of a single play breeding bias and scapegoating. I remember how much people were on his back after this play when it's just... an unlucky break. Well actually, it's a typical Montreal lucky break

Thing is most people on forums (sportifs de salons, not sure what is the term in English) can't even skate at half this speed, or have absolutely no idea at how fast the game goes in the NHL. Cowen committed himself on breaking (he had to, unless he wanted to risk injuring Anderson) and simply didn't anticipate that the puck was going to go at his feet (who would have?). Notice that he actually swung very hard on Plekanec (who surely felt it through equipment), so he was recovering his balance after throwing himself on the ice to try and break the play. If you can put the play in "reality", it's easy to see that Cowen hardly could have prevented this to happen.

Things like that (and worse, much worse) happen to about every NHL player at some point. If you want to see great players scoring in their own net or making terrible blunders, just watch some youtube videos. There's a ton of it, for every NHL player

I wish that going forward people will over-scrutinize a little bit less just to enjoy the game of hockey a little bit more. After all, they are the best guys who can give us the best possible show on the planet.

What is the most funny is that we see Erik Karlsson make major blunders too, as bad or even worse than Phillips and Cowen, but just because his style is so "sexy" he will get a pass every single time. Bias is so evident.

Oh and my preference for the players mentioned is :

Karlsson >>>>>>>>>>Cowen>>>>>>Phillips

A lot of times I have been thinking the best for Cowen would be to be traded away from this fanbase (who really don't appreciate him) to start from scratch again and become the dominant player he can be. I'm still hoping

lol it was a funny video. That's it.

Cowen actually has lots of potential, and has shown glimpses.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Cowen is a beast, and will be a big presence on the sens blueline this year. Defenceman take time to develop, patience is key. I am glad we have a hulking young physical d-man with room to grow and learn.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Anyone else think that Cowen just isn't a typical hockey player? He's not cocky. He seems like he could have been the weird kid at high school. Big difference from most hockey players that look like they've got the swagger of someone who's had their lives mostly handed to them.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I remember watching a pre-season game in his rookie year and thinking, man this guy is really something special. He was like Chara, doing everything methodically without being flashy and making it look easy.

But that was a rare example for Cowen. He's just made too many mistakes before and since. I'm willing to give guys the benefit of the doubt, but I'm starting to question if he'll put it all together. D-men are just too hard to predict. I need to see more consistency.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
If you can put the play in "reality", it's easy to see that Cowen hardly could have prevented this to happen.

He was the last man back and let Plekanec skate right by to get a breakaway pass. I don't think anyone is serious in criticizing the puck bouncing in off him, just an unlucky break. But seriously, covering his man and not giving up the breakaway in the first place would have avoided that situation altogether.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I remember watching a pre-season game in his rookie year and thinking, man this guy is really something special. He was like Chara, doing everything methodically without being flashy and making it look easy.

But that was a rare example for Cowen. He's just made too many mistakes before and since. I'm willing to give guys the benefit of the doubt, but I'm starting to question if he'll put it all together. D-men are just too hard to predict. I need to see more consistency.

I dunno. Sometimes size is a quirky thing.

If Chara was 6-foot-1 and playing the way he does, he probably would've been a career AHLer. His freakish size, wingspan and strength is what made his special, not really his abilities.

Cowen has a lot of the same physical attributes as Myers and Pronger. Not only tall, but long arms and legs. When guys like like leave their limbs "loose", they look really horrible and awkward. When they tighten up and keep the legs moving and elbows tucked, they become beasts.

The one thing I saw with Cowen after the injuries, is it took him half a second longer to read the play coming at him. That slightly slower reaction caused him to "loosen up" a lot to get into position to make a play. It could've been slight mobility issues with the hip problems, could be a bit of a confidence and rust issue being on the sidelines...or a bit of both.

This year will tell a lot. He should be healthy and on the same page as the rest of the team. We'll see how he reacts to quick transitions and broken plays.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Inconsistent, yes. A #4? No way. Cowen was better in his rookie season than I expected.

Exactly. It just means he has so much more room to grow IMO.

He was the last man back and let Plekanec skate right by to get a breakaway pass. I don't think anyone is serious in criticizing the puck bouncing in off him, just an unlucky break. But seriously, covering his man and not giving up the breakaway in the first place would have avoided that situation altogether.

You don't know what goes on on the ice. I think it's a bit naive to blame him on mere inches of positioning.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Cowen (and ceci) will become great dmen for us. As long as Richardson is able to coach them again.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Sure he was drafted in the 9 slot, but he was originally projected to go top 5, possibly even top 3. It was because of his injury that his draft stock lowered come June.

He was ranked 9th among north american skaters by one agency

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=31411

And 7th by ISS

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11679

Maybe originally projected at the start of the year, but those change all the time.

And yes there are some good D men drafted 8-12, but some crap as well.

My point is people should not be expecting a D man drafted in this area to be a top pairing. It beats the odds. I think people are vastly overestimating the quality of players taken in this range. It is far lower than most people realize. With that in mind, I know exactly what I expect out of Cowen, and if it is that he can become a 4/5 type of D, I'm pretty happy.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

And 7th by ISS

Maybe originally projected at the start of the year, but those change all the time.

My point is people should not be expecting a D man drafted in this area to be a top pairing. It beats the odds. I think people are vastly overestimating the quality of players taken in this range. It is far lower than most people realize. With that in mind, I know exactly what I expect out of Cowen, and if it is that he can become a 4/5 type of D, I'm pretty happy.

Yeah but if memory serves me right he fell because of a knee injury.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
I was beating around the bush there, I can see them playing a more crucial role than karlsson if this team were to win Lord Stanley.

The only way that they play a more important rule than Karlsson is if Kasson moves to Right Wing and under performs. Or god forbid, gets traded.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

And 7th by ISS

McKenzie had him at 7th, and his ranking certainly suffered do to uncertainty from his knee injury.

TSN mid year Rank: 6th

TSN Pre-Season rank: 3rd

Some his drop is because guys like Schenn, Duchesne, Kane and OEL played well enough to merit moving up (particularly OEL who was a late riser as I recall), but the knee injury certainly played a big roll in it.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
I get that Cowen didn't have a great year but I think the Cowen hate is multiplied by mob mentality. He wasn't half as bad as most of his biggest detractors suggest. We expected more and so judge him more harshly. Ceci is the exact opposite. No one expected him to play well so anything he did was revered. In all honesty I was underwhelmed with Ceci. He was just OK and made many rookie mistakes. In my opinion Ceci should go back to the AHL, let Gryba and Wier play. Ceci needs that commanding presence and he will get that with the #1 role in Bingo. Cowen will be fine, with his hip fully healed pivoting should improve. Once his confidence is back he will be a monster. No one seems to give Gryba any love but he his very solid. An excellent 5-6 D.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I get that Cowen didn't have a great year but I think the Cowen hate is multiplied by mob mentality. He wasn't half as bad as most of his biggest detractors suggest. We expected more and so judge him more harshly. Ceci is the exact opposite. No one expected him to play well so anything he did was revered. In all honesty I was underwhelmed with Ceci. He was just OK and made many rookie mistakes. In my opinion Ceci should go back to the AHL, let Gryba and Wier play. Ceci needs that commanding presence and he will get that with the #1 role in Bingo. Cowen will be fine, with his hip fully healed pivoting should improve. Once his confidence is back he will be a monster. No one seems to give Gryba any love but he his very solid. An excellent 5-6 D.

Ceci looked great for about 5 games and then disapeared into the background imo, which isn't bad for a rookie.

I agree that Cowen is more harshly criticized than he deserves, people forget that he's yet to play 2 full seasons missing a good chunk of this past one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad