Big year for Cowen

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
This will be a huge year for JC. Assuming he doesn't get hurt he has needs to establish himself as a top 4 defenseman. Personally I thought he was atrocious last year and if he repeats that again he is going to be put on waivers.

What do you guys think of Cowen?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
He will definitely bounce back. Full training camp and a year of not re aggravating his injury. He will be huge for us.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Big year for Wier he could break out, but then again Maclean has a natural dislike for him, How many games was cowen healthy scratched for?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
This will be a huge year for JC. Assuming he doesn't get hurt he has needs to establish himself as a top 4 defenseman. Personally I thought he was atrocious last year and if he repeats that again he is going to be put on waivers.

I think its about what you expect out of him. I always questioned his offensive upside, and he has done little to prove me wrong. He is somewhat physical, but not as much as his size would suggest. He had quite good mobility for his size, but the injury impaired that last year, and hence impaired his defensive ability. So overall I'm still not sure what to expect out of him. At 23 though, for a big D man he is still rounding out his game.

But if people are expecting a 35 point D man who plays a tough physical game with top pairing potential, they could be disappointed. I'm hoping he can round into a 4/5 D man who does a little of everything well, although nothing outstanding. A good glue guy on the defensive end.

I think Ceci will mold nicely into a number 3 D man behind Karrlson, and needs a more defensive minded physical partner beside him to allow him a bit of freedom. Cowen should have just enough offensive ability to play in place, and hopefully will round out the defensive side of his game as well.

But overall that is in line with recent drafting. At 9 overall the numbers dictate you stand a 25% chance of getting a top 4 D man, so given his current status that sounds about right. And you stand only a 50% chance of getting more than a fringe NHLer. That could still happen. I think a few people are generally over estimating the talent level you can generally expect to see with the 9th pick.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Stop telling me what I already know... :rant:

Tell-Me-About-It.gif

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario

I heard he sprained his finger from too much pointing.

Get well soon Cowen!

Seriously though, if he plays poorly, the fans will organize a "get rid of Cowen" event on parliament hill.

Okay, seriously seriously, even if he plays well, there will be people that only see his errors, and Cowen will now become the new scapegoat of the Sens.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He's probably the biggest 'x Factor' for this team. His season will likely go as the team will go. If he succeeds, this team will do well, if he doesn't they'll falter again. He St has massive upside and I really believe in him. He's a throwback though and the way the game is being called now works against him but I still think there's a role for guys like him in the league.

Apaharn

Aug 12, 2008
Look at this way: he can't possibly play worse than last year...or can he?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He's probably the biggest 'x Factor' for this team. His season will likely go as the team will go. If he succeeds, this team will do well, if he doesn't they'll falter again. He St has massive upside and I really believe in him. He's a throwback though and the way the game is being called now works against him but I still think there's a role for guys like him in the league.

This.

If Cowen breaks out next year, we will make the playoffs and even go on a deep run in the playoffs.

If Cowen becomes top 4 we will still make playoffs and make noise when we get there.

Karlsson will hold down whatever pairing he is on. If Cowen can hold down his own pairing or play well enough with Karlsson that Methot-Ceci get to stick together then this team will go very far.

I believe in Cowen. I think the guy has dynamic potential and top 3 raw physical strength in the league.

I only want 2 things to happen next year:

1) Karlsson to return 100%
2) Cowen to become a force

No one will stop Ottawa if those two things come true.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Cowen isn't slow. His acceleration is good and his top speed is very good.

His pivots are terrible though but he is not slow.

This, I remember hearing Cowen getting praised for having such foot speed for his size. He does look slow in the defensive end but that could be because he has no idea what he is doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad