Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Babs is full of it, as usual. Here's the Jets ice time:

Scheifele 25:55
Wheeler 24:48
Laine 22:23
Connor 20:23
Little 18:33

Notice a difference? Scheifele got 8:20 more than Matthews... must have been that extra 3 minutes of PP time. :huh:

One of these teams got to the conference finals last year. Crazy thought but maybe playing your best players is a good way to win games.

This is a big reason as to why they beat us last night, for sure!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Notice a difference? Scheifele got 8:20 more than Matthews... must have been that extra 3 minutes of PP time. :huh:

One of these teams got to the conference finals last year. Crazy thought but maybe playing your best players is a good way to win games.
It's a wonder the Leafs had any chance last night.
Hopefully Babcock wakes up before Saturday or all hope is lost.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This is a big reason as to why they beat us last night, for sure!
They were down literally all game, obviously they'll roll out Scheifele and Wheeler for abnormally high minutes.

But do remember that this is a team that did far better than us last year. They got to the conference finals by beating a team like Nashville. They put up and won their big series last year, we didn't, and Boston wasn't even as good as Nashville. When you play elite defensive teams in the playoffs, you need to stack up the minutes on your best players. Maurice wouldn't have beat Nashville playing Copp-Lowry-Tanev for 17 minutes a game.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

This is hilarious considering

1. Jets were badly outplayed and lost

2. Maurice pulled out the line blender out of desperation because the Jets were getting dominated

3. Scheifele played that much because they had no answer to our C trio of Matthews-Tavares-Kadri. Other teams are not as fortunate as the Leafs to have that kind of C depth, Adam Lowry was getting eaten alive so Maurice resorted to having Little split his minutes between going up against Tavares/Kadri and had Scheifele out there to try and neutralize both Matthews/Tavares, which didn't quite work out.

At least you live up to your username.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I guess it's come to complaining even in a PGT after a big win. This board is becoming unbearable.

Well, the Leafs are selling Stanley Cup aspiration, however the on ice product appears like it’s not ready to delivering on those expectations. That is a bit of a downer and it may have been wise for them to stick with year three expectations of just trying to get a better seed the playoffs.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
It's a wonder the Leafs had any chance last night.
Hopefully Babcock wakes up before Saturday or all hope is lost.

Hell, Connor McDavid had 29 mins the other night lol

Matthews is HORRIBLY underplayed

P.S. I love how Lindholm and Goat are playing

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Well, the Leafs are selling Stanley Cup aspiration, however the on ice product appears like it’s not ready to delivering on those expectations. That is a bit of a downer and it may have been wise for them to stick with year three expectations of just trying to get a better seed the playoffs.
The on ice product doesn't appear ready after beating one of the best teams in the league and also beating the reigning cup champs? Confusing.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
They were down literally all game, obviously they'll roll out Scheifele and Wheeler for abnormally high minutes.

But do remember that this is a team that did far better than us last year. They got to the conference finals by beating a team like Nashville. They put up and won their big series last year, we didn't, and Boston wasn't even as good as Nashville. When you play elite defensive teams in the playoffs, you need to stack up the minutes on your best players. Maurice wouldn't have beat Nashville playing Copp-Lowry-Tanev for 17 minutes a game.
  • Ovechkin averaged 15:54 even strength minutes during the regular season and 16:14 even strength minutes during the playoffs last season, Caps won the cup.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The on ice product doesn't appear ready after beating one of the best teams in the league and also beating the reigning cup champs? Confusing.

These are not playoff games where both teams have played the same amount and on the same schedule.

The Leafs were beaten handily by the Blues, mostly because they were tired and complacent. Same for Winnipeg last night.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah, ice time distribution should be very low on the whine list in October, especially after playing maybe their best game of the season.

Reactions: DanM

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Jets board thinks Maurice got outcoached by Babs

Reactions: 1specter

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I'm happy with the effort and results from last night's game.

I know Gards gets a lot of hate around here but I noticed his D partner doesn't help his case much. Zaitsev had a good game last night, don't get me wrong. He was skating well, used the body often and generally made few glaring mistakes. But on a lot of the D to D passes, he manages to put the puck in Gards' skates or behind him when he's moving forward, or in front as Gards is moving backwards.

Not a huge deal but it sure makes Gards look worse than neccessary since now he's fishing for the puck and it allows the opposition to pressure him into a snap decision.

I hope he works on that since his passes up ice looked fine. I don't know if it's a one off thing where last night he just wasn't concentrating or if it's usual for him to have trouble making D to D passes.

Anyone else notice this? Just last night or in other games?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
A little over the top on game. We were a little better and deserved the win. But the Jets did have sizable stretches of play in 1st 2nd and 3rd periods where they controlled the puck on the cycle at will in our end. And Freddy made a couple HUGE saves. Also Laine hit the crossbar so we got a little lucky there. The better team won an offensive slug fest. I worry if the Jets clog the centre ice like they did at ACC last year and Blues did to us last week that game goes back to a board game which is no fun to watch either. Size wins out in a board game. We'll see how the Jets come out on Saturday night and what type of game style they play.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I do notice Gardiner will often pass it to Zaitsev when he is semi covered, and then get a hurried, under pressure return pass back from Zaitsev.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
These are not playoff games where both teams have played the same amount and on the same schedule.

The Leafs were beaten handily by the Blues, mostly because they were tired and complacent. Same for Winnipeg last night.
It's a tough league and nobody is going 82-0

member 262271

Anyone else notice the forwards supporting the D better last night? I missed a good chunk of the game but Hughson mentioned it, therefore I don't know what to believe. Help?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Gardiner had a good game. Makes small plays to help transition out of the zone that don't get noticed, but when he messes up, it becomes a glaring error.

I'm hard on Gardiner, but I love this play. This is exactly what we need from our d core and what I am looking for in a dman we are targetting. Someone who can retrieve the puck and make a smart, quick and efficient play to get it out. Not someone who can get a million points or some truck because he's tough. This sequence x10000 is how you win.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I'm hard on Gardiner, but I love this play. This is exactly what we need from our d core and what I am looking for in a dman we are targetting. Someone who can retrieve the puck and make a smart, quick and efficient play to get it out. Not someone who can get a million points or some truck because he's tough. This sequence x10000 is how you win.

it took him 499 games to finally do that... :)

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

McDavid played 29 minutes and lost, both largely because Edmonton has nobody else contributing.
Matthews played 18 minutes and won, largely because Toronto has lots of others contributing.

Which do you prefer?

And if you like how Lindholm and Gauthier are playing, then whose ice time should be cut to give Matthews more? Tavares? Kadri? Lindholm? Gauthier? Maybe he should take a couple of shifts on defence?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
McDavid played 29 minutes and lost, both largely because Edmonton has nobody else contributing.
Matthews played 18 minutes and won, largely because Toronto has lots of others contributing.

Which do you prefer?

And if you like how Lindholm and Gauthier are playing, then whose ice time should be cut to give Matthews more? Tavares? Kadri? Lindholm? Gauthier? Maybe he should take a couple of shifts on defence?

Oh I prefer winning lol 29 mins is insane.

I would like to see Matty get around 20-21 mins a game though. Even just a 3 min bump would but him on par with other star centres.

BUT

You are right, winning is number 1. He could also PK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad