Post-Game Talk: Big win in the Big Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Sure. You could also look at their comeback wins, the fact that they don't lose in regulation and their record in one goal games. All of which also bode well for the playoffs.
Also those are the games we lost last year. Idk how anyone can't see that as an improvement when Samsonov has gave us bad goaltending and we're still finding ways to get points/wins out of it. Our record should be much better if Samsonov gave us at least average goaltending and not letting in 1-2 bad goals a start.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Between the NYC "snow storm" in 2016, their constant whining about the smoke from the Canadian wildfires and now being insulted over comments about traffic, I'm really starting the question the legitimacy of New Yorkers so called "toughness".....
I think that guy's drunk...

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sure. You could also look at their comeback wins, the fact that they don't lose in regulation and their record in one goal games. All of which also bode well for the playoffs.
I think it makes sense to look at everything and if there's one thing that sums up our playoff chances the best, it's our regulation PTS%.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Well they mentioned on the broadcast the other day that teams have only come back to tie it in the last 10 seconds 5 times this year, and the Leafs have 2 of those. I dunno about you but one lament I've had with this team the last few years is if we're down we rarely fight back into it... seemed like a 1 goal deficit with less than 5 minutes to play and we were pretty much dead. This year they have some push back when we need a goal. That's a positive sign for me. Also with 3 d-men out and Sammy out for a while, we've managed to stay afloat with an AHL bottom 3 d, even with some pretty big turnover in our bottom 6 which takes some time to gel.

We're 4 points out of top of the conference. You can't drink the top half of a nice cocktail then complain the glass is half empty. 🍸

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Or, and I know this is probably going to sound really stupid, and even possibly to the point of meaningless moronic mindlessness, maybe just look up the standings. Like the bass it's all about the points ie if you have 107 points and the other team has 106, it's really simple you win. It's how many, and not how!
Then shouldn't you be looking at the games played too? The Leafs have the 5th best points percentage in the league but someone in this thread described them as being in 12th.

The total points thing really only matters after the final games are played.

Also those are the games we lost last year. Idk how anyone can't see that as an improvement when Samsonov has gave us bad goaltending and we're still finding ways to get points/wins out of it. Our record should be much better if Samsonov gave us at least average goaltending and not letting in 1-2 bad goals a start.
I agree, but somehow Samsonov has only lost one game in regulation. Four in OT/SO though and if he had played better we have more regulation wins

Reactions: arso40

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I know I’m in the minority but I don’t even look at the standings until much later in the season, around the trade deadline.. I care more about how they look on the ice.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I have a positive outlook that doesn't have to be bolstered by misinformation.

Why be so militant? It's not misinformation at all. You're preaching to look at both sides but your clearly forming your opinion based on their record of regulatation wins while ignoring the fact about regulation losses. @Confucius is basing his opinion based on regulation losses.

You can argue what has greater relevance and is the better indicator of long-term / playoff success, but stop trying to gaslight to prove your point.

Personally, I find the regulation wins a bigger concern than the regulation losses, so I lean toward your view of things. However I do think it's a positive that they're staying in games with subpar goaltending, bad and/or injured defence, and a forward group that took some time to gel.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Between the NYC "snow storm" in 2016, their constant whining about the smoke from the Canadian wildfires and now being insulted over comments about traffic, I'm really starting the question the legitimacy of New Yorkers so called "toughness".....
When was the last time you were in NYC?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Well they mentioned on the broadcast the other day that teams have only come back to tie it in the last 10 seconds 5 times this year, and the Leafs have 2 of those. I dunno about you but one lament I've had with this team the last few years is if we're down we rarely fight back into it... seemed like a 1 goal deficit with less than 5 minutes to play and we were pretty much dead. This year they have some push back when we need a goal. That's a positive sign for me. Also with 3 d-men out and Sammy out for a while, we've managed to stay afloat with an AHL bottom 3 d, even with some pretty big turnover in our bottom 6 which takes some time to gel.

We're 4 points out of top of the conference. You can't drink the top half of a nice cocktail then complain the glass is half empty. 🍸
And after tonight, 3 points behind the infallible Boston Bruins, who have been the definition of ordinary since they started hot on the back of a marshmallow schedule. Also likely to pass Florida tonight for second place, with two games in hand on them, as they have a tough one in Vancouver.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Scoring in bunches can make a season look a lot better than it is.

Matthews should have a goal every game as long as he gets 3 position A chances per game. Hattys are all well and good, and the more the merrier, but steady production and a consistent level of play is preferable.

Everyone scores in bunches. Better players just score more when they do.

No one scores every single game, and the closest to doing it is Matthews.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Why be so militant? It's not misinformation at all. You're preaching to look at both sides but your clearly forming your opinion based on their record of regulatation wins while ignoring the fact about regulation losses. @Confucius is basing his opinion based on regulation losses.

You can argue what has greater relevance and is the better indicator of long-term / playoff success, but stop trying to gaslight to prove your point.

Personally, I find the regulation wins a bigger concern than the regulation losses, so I lean toward your view of things. However I do think it's a positive that they're staying in games with subpar goaltending, bad and/or injured defence, and a forward group that took some time to gel.
Maybe you missed the start of the conversation.

Confucius mentioned only losses, and I said to look at both, and provided the other side. I didn't offer any opinion, beyond 'only looking at one side is wrong'.

Reactions: Jmo89

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I'm sure most do although some may watch but you know they don't understand what they are seeing.
And bingo was his name

B-I-N-G-O

Everyone scores in bunches. Better players just score more when they do.

No one scores every single game, and the closest to doing it is Matthews.
Two sides same coin

I would however like to point out that I never wrote anything even approximating nor suggesting that Matthews or anybody else in the league could score in every game, not even Gretzky did it.

What I did write is that I'm hoping that Matthews can someday put in similar levels of effort and/or performance on a game to game basis.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Then shouldn't you be looking at the games played too? The Leafs have the 5th best points percentage in the league but someone in this thread described them as being in 12th.

The total points thing really only matters after the final games are played.
That would have been regulation PTS%. As of today, the Leafs are 5th overall in PTS%, and 13th in regulation PTS%. Or looking at just the East, they're 3rd in PTS% and 7th in regulation PTS%.

pts1.PNG

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
That would have been regulation PTS%. As of today, the Leafs are 5th overall in PTS%, and 13th in regulation PTS%. Or looking at just the East, they're 3rd in PTS% and 7th in regulation PTS%.

View attachment 783437

I am not sure how to interpret that. On one hand, Leafs have not won many games in 60 minutes, but on the other they have not lost many either. 8 wins 6 losses and 12 ties in regulation time seems quite pedestrian. Not sure. How would you read that?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
And bingo was his name

B-I-N-G-O

Two sides same coin

I would however like to point out that I never wrote anything even approximating nor suggesting that Matthews or anybody else in the league could score in every game, not even Gretzky did it.

What I did write is that I'm hoping that Matthews can someday put in similar levels of effort and/or performance on a game to game basis.

You're asking for something that is impossible. No player puts in the same effort every game, in any sport, in any era. None.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad