Post-Game Talk: Big win in the Big Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Actually, Matthews and Nylander have each scored in 11 games this year.

Willy has points in all but three. Matty in all but 11.

I'm more referring to Matthews entire career then just this season.

Willy has obviously had a great start, but to put it into perspective his absolute best has come when Matthews hasn't played nearly his best.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I am not sure how to interpret that. On one hand, Leafs have not won many games in 60 minutes, but on the other they have not lost many either. 8 wins 6 losses and 12 ties in regulation time seems quite pedestrian. Not sure. How would you read that?
What it says to me is that we've been mediocre at playing regulation hockey, our record being a mere 2 games above .500. We've ran super hot though in the gimmick 3on3 OT and shootouts which is why we're so high in the standings.

Of course it's always nice to have the points as a higher place in the standings could mean an easier opponent in the 1st round of the playoffs, an extra home game at some point etc. but if we're to have any playoff success, we need to be a lot better at playing regulation hockey as there is no 3on3 OT or shootouts in the playoffs. We've been playing better lately so that's encouraging at least.

GLG!!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You're asking for something that is impossible. No player puts in the same effort every game, in any sport, in any era. None.
That's true. For me personally, I couldn't care less if he ever gets 60 goals again or whatever else, I would however be thrilled if he could play with at least close to maximum effort on a consistent basis in the playoffs. Take 20 games off per season if you must, but do it during the regular season, not in the playoffs.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
What it says to me is that we've been mediocre at playing regulation hockey, our record being a mere 2 games above .500. We've ran super hot though in the gimmick 3on3 OT and shootouts which is why we're so high in the standings.

Of course it's always nice to have the points as a higher place in the standings could mean an easier opponent in the 1st round of the playoffs, an extra home game at some point etc. but if we're to have any playoff success, we need to be a lot better at playing regulation hockey as there is no 3on3 OT or shootouts in the playoffs. We've been playing better lately so that's encouraging at least.

GLG!!

I mean, I think it’s clear by anyone watching our game has had issues throughout much of the year. The fact we have a lower regulation points percentage is mostly just an oddity of the season so far than a particularly important introspective stat. Shakey goaltending has kept a lot of games closer than they deserved to be. We’ve also won some we didn’t really deserve either. Ebbs and flows of a season as far as I’m concerned.

The key takeaway should be that the group has been resilient and found ways to win games that were tied after 60. To some degree I don’t really care how you do it, 9-1-3 is a damn good run of play that deserves to be recognized as such.

Definitely fair to say our play has been improving though; hopefully that’s a trend that continues and we upgrade personnel to put ourselves in best position for a playoff run

Reactions: Confucius

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I mean, I think it’s clear by anyone watching our game has had issues throughout much of the year. The fact we have a lower regulation points percentage is mostly just an oddity of the season so far than a particularly important introspective stat. Shakey goaltending has kept a lot of games closer than they deserved to be. We’ve also won some we didn’t really deserve either. Ebbs and flows of a season as far as I’m concerned.

The key takeaway should be that the group has been resilient and found ways to win games that were tied after 60. To some degree I don’t really care how you do it, 9-1-3 is a damn good run of play that deserves to be recognized as such.

Definitely fair to say our play has been improving though; hopefully that’s a trend that continues and we upgrade personnel to put ourselves in best position for a playoff run

The “How” is important. This is not a team that is trying to just make the playoffs for the first time in a long time. This is a team that is trying to win the Stanley Cup so the “how” is clearly important.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We unfortunately have several key players where effort is inconsistent this year
Ideally Matthews would lead the way with consistent effort. He's not the captain but I think most would say that it's really his team and people follow him. If he were to put in max effort on a consistent basis the way Gretzky did, or the way guys like Crosby and MacKinnon are doing, perhaps the rest would follow. And maybe if he takes nights off now and then, others figure they may as well do the same.

I'm reminded of what Patrick Mahomes said earlier this year - "I think if I start playing better, everybody will start playing better". Now that what I call leadership!

Matthews is a great hockey player but I don't see him as a great leader of men, and sometimes I wish he had a bit more Crosby/MacKinnon/Messier/Sittler/Gilmour in him.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I know I’m in the minority but I don’t even look at the standings until much later in the season, around the trade deadline.. I care more about how they look on the ice.

I definitely look, it’s part of the run but yeah of course how we are playing is the actual important info. Sometimes it’s swings to over analysis though imo and people lose sight of the fact every team has issues they are trying to fix and winning is still important in whatever form you get it.

You definitely always want to be building strong play and moving toward the style, consistency and effectiveness you’ll need x when the games matter most.

The “How” is important. This is not a team that is trying to just make the playoffs for the first time in a long time. This is a team that is trying to win the Stanley Cup so the “how” is clearly important.

You’re focusing in too much on one piece and misinterpreting the intention/point of what I said. I never said it’s not important. I’m saying the run is deserving of recognition regardless of the how. Of course the how matters if you’re trying to be a contending team. The reality is though, they’ve still got 2/3 of the season to continue to fix the details. Banking points is is as important as anything else until you make it.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I definitely look, it’s part of the run but yeah of course how we are playing is the actual important info. Sometimes it’s swings to over analysis though imo and people lose sight of the fact every team has issues they are trying to fix and winning is still important in whatever form you get it.

You definitely always want to be building strong play and moving toward the style, consistency and effectiveness you’ll need x when the games matter most.

You’re focusing in too much on one piece and misinterpreting the intention/point of what I said. I never said it’s not important. I’m saying the run is deserving of recognition regardless of the how. Of course the how matters

Alright, no problem at all. I just hope for more games like this one. It was pretty impressive.

Reactions: Sypher04

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

LOL no, I have to strongly disagree with that. The fact that we've been running super hot in gimmicks is the oddity, the regulation PTS% is an accurate reflection of how we've played. Blame it on shaky goaltending if you like but goalies are a part of the team and it makes no difference it's the goalies/forwards/defence/coaches who are letting us down, they're all part of the same team. Ever heard the saying the team only as good as it's weakest link?

Anyway like you said, we've been playing better lately so let's hope the trend continues. I just want them to win in the playoffs, that's all and whether we're 5th or 12th or whatever today (or even at the end of the season) doesn't matter much to me. We should cruise to the playoffs, just play your best when you get there and I'll be happy.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
100% this. We've all seen the team have very good regular seasons and then get bounced by teams that we're huge favorites to beat. I don't care if we're 5th overall or 15th, I would be happy if they played in such a way that gave me confidence that they're ready to play to their potential in the playoffs.

Not too worried about it right now as it's only December. I'll be happy if we're looking like a solid contender when we to the last month or so of the season and things start to get real.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
LOL no, I have to strongly disagree with that. The fact that we've been running super hot in gimmicks is the oddity, the regulation PTS% is an accurate reflection of how we've played. Blame it on shaky goaltending if you like but goalies are a part of the team and it makes no difference it's the goalies/forwards/defence/coaches who are letting us down, they're all part of the same team. Ever heard the saying the team only as good as it's weakest link?

Anyway like you said, we've been playing better lately so let's hope the trend continues. I just want them to win in the playoffs, that's all and whether we're 5th or 12th or whatever today (or even at the end of the season) doesn't matter much to me. We should cruise to the playoffs, just play your best when you get there and I'll be happy.

I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone here who disagrees with the bolded.

They are both oddities really. Both the number of games we’ve seen go to OT and our effectiveness in them. I will say that I agree the goalie is part of the team and yeah we’ve had other problems too, but I don’t think it’s unfair to say in ordinate amount of our defensive trouble this season through say 20 was weak goals against.

100% this. We've all seen the team have very good regular seasons and then get bounced by teams that we're huge favorites to beat. I don't care if we're 5th overall or 15th, I would be happy if they played in such a way that gave me confidence that they're ready to play to their potential in the playoffs.

Not too worried about it right now as it's only December. I'll be happy if we're looking like a solid contender when we to the last month or so of the season and things start to get real.

Just to be clear again though, I don’t disagree with a word of that post.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm more referring to Matthews entire career then just this season.

Willy has obviously had a great start, but to put it into perspective his absolute best has come when Matthews hasn't played nearly his best.
And isn't that when you need it the most?

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone here who disagrees with the bolded.

They are both oddities really. Both the number of games we’ve seen go to OT and our effectiveness in them. I will say that I agree the goalie is part of the team and yeah we’ve had other problems too, but I don’t think it’s unfair to say in ordinate amount of our defensive trouble this season through say 20 was weak goals against.
Agreed. We need to be better there, or we will continue having problems in regulation and since that's all there is in the playoffs ...

I'm not too worried as I'm pretty high on Woll, we'll see what happens.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Ideally Matthews would lead the way with consistent effort. He's not the captain but I think most would say that it's really his team and people follow him. If he were to put in max effort on a consistent basis the way Gretzky did, or the way guys like Crosby and MacKinnon are doing, perhaps the rest would follow. And maybe if he takes nights off now and then, others figure they may as well do the same.

I'm reminded of what Patrick Mahomes said earlier this year - "I think if I start playing better, everybody will start playing better". Now that what I call leadership!

Matthews is a great hockey player but I don't see him as a great leader of men, and sometimes I wish he had a bit more Crosby/MacKinnon/Messier/Sittler/Gilmour in him.
Much as I think signing him was a mistake, Tavares is unquestionably the player on this team who puts out the most consistent effort game after game.

(I'd like to see a bit more animation from a captain, but that's a different issue.)

Willy, Jarnkrok, and Mo seem to have taken a step forward in the consistency aspect this year, and Knies, Bert, and Domi are looking pretty steady after mixed starts.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Much as I think signing him was a mistake, Tavares is unquestionably the player on this team who puts out the most consistent effort game after game.

(I'd like to see a bit more animation from a captain, but that's a different issue.)

Willy, Jarnkrok, and Mo seem to have taken a step forward in the consistency aspect this year, and Knies, Bert, and Domi are looking pretty steady after mixed starts.
I'm not sure what people expect out of a Captain. It's like they want to see Darcy Tucker's "Sideshow Bob" bit all the time. Some guys are just quite leaders. Gilmours showed his leadership on the ice, but Mats Sundin was constantly shit on by fans for not being "vocal" . But I never heard of one player questioning his leadership or determination. And frankly, that's all that matters. What the fan's want in a captain is irrelevant.

Reactions: notDatsyuk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad