Big UFA Signings That Actually Worked Out?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
We keep hearing about how no one should sign UFAs (or UFA to be) in their late 20s/early 30s to long as they never really work out, even if they were good players before.

We hear the same examples of Ladd, Lucic, Eriksson, Backes, Kaberle, Abdelkader, Neilsen, Seabrook, Darling, Hanzal, Samsonov, etc.

But what about ones who actually worked out?

Chara is an obvious one. As is Marc Savard (before injury). Tavares looks like he will be. Sharp was great for Chicago and so was Hossa.

What are some others?

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
Sutter and Paraise has worked out ok for Minnesota. They’ve at least been a consistent playoff team every single season.

Reactions: aemoreira1981

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Suter seemed to have worked well for the Wild. His and Parise's contracts were ridiculous at the time.

Does Eric Staal counts?

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
I’d argue they’d have been better off rebuilding and the Suter/Parise contracts are preventing them from that. While both players are still good, Wild are stuck in mediocrity for a while
Rebuilding teams don't always succeed. For every Buffalo Sabers, there is an Edmonton Oilers, or Arizona Coyotes. The Wild are doing fine.

Reactions: tfu92 and zaqq

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Eric Staal. Gets paid 3.5 million a season and has put up 60-70ish points his first two years and is on pace for another 30 goal and 60 point campaign for the Wild. Great signing.
Wasn’t really a ”big” signing. Should be for many yesrs and a higher percentage of the cap.
Great signing though.

Reactions: maxl7

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Rebuilding teams don't always succeed. For every Buffalo Sabres, there is an Edmonton Oilers, or Arizona Coyotes. The Wild are doing fine.
They’re really not, like I said they’re stuck in mediocrity for a while, no great prospects (aside from Kaprizov but who knows when he’s coming over, also that Johansson pick still looks terrible) and some big contracts as well. They won’t be a good team for a long time and I say that as someone who really likes the Wild

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Gomez was great for the Rangers and then they flipped him before he declined. That was an outstanding signing.

It was Drury that was a disaster.

Reactions: Dialamo and zaqq

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I can think of many pre-lockout. In the salary cap era, some that come to mind (that haven’t been named) are:

• Sergei Gonchar (signed 5 year deal with PIT in 2005)
  • Eric Staal (signed 3 year deal with MIN in 2017)

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Gonchar in Ottawa actually ended up working out, even though he was 36 (I think) at the time of the signing.

And as it's been stated, Chara/Savard pretty much turned the Bruins around in on off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->