Big UFA Signings That Actually Worked Out?

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Gomez was great? I guess we have different understanding of the meaning of the word "great" and how it applies to hockey players.

128 points in 2 seasons.

List of Rangers since Gomez with 128 points in any 2 seasons:

-Marian Gaborik

And then he turned into Ryan McDonagh which changed Rangers history.

Gaborik was also a great signing, now that I mention it.

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
Gomez was a good player for us. Just because he signed for big money doesn't elevate his skill. He played well within his ability I thought. Plus flipping him for Higgins and McD worked out great

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
128 points in 2 seasons.

List of Rangers since Gomez with 128 points in any 2 seasons:

-Marian Gaborik

And then he turned into Ryan McDonagh which changed Rangers history.

Gaborik was also a great signing, now that I mention it.
That doesn't make it a great signing. Both underperformed for the money they were being paid and the % if the cap they were taking. Yes, Gomez turned into McDonagh, although not sure how that changed Rangers history. One trip to the finals and a President's Trophy is "history"? OK. I guess that is one way to look at it.

Reactions: Nok Hockey

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Admittedly I don't watch a ton of Red Wings games, but I seem to recall nobody complaining about Brian Rafalski. He signed a 5 year deal going into his age 34 season, although injuries made him unable to complete the final year of his deal. But during his four years as a Red Wing, Rafalski played some big minutes and put up great numbers.

It's easy to forget that Patrik Elias was briefly on the open market and was thinking about signing with the Rangers or Kings in 2006. He ended up taking a hometown discount to stay with the Devils on a 7 year deal and was productive throughout.

Reactions: aemoreira1981

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Gomez was a good player for us. Just because he signed for big money doesn't elevate his skill. He played well within his ability I thought. Plus flipping him for Higgins and McD worked out great
But, that is exactly my point. I am not saying he was a bad player or a bust. He just was not worth the money he was given or the cap space he ate up. The only UFA's who were? Chara and Neidermayer for Anaheim who I originally forgot was signed as a UFA. Always thought he was traded until I saw someone in this thread mention him and I looked it up.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Ennis has worked out, Tavares is way way too soon to tell
Marleau has worked out well on and off the ice

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That doesn't make it a great signing. Both underperformed for the money they were being paid and the % if the cap they were taking. Yes, Gomez turned into McDonagh, although not sure how that changed Rangers history. One trip to the finals and a President's Trophy is "history"? OK. I guess that is one way to look at it.
Gaborik underperformed? What team are you watching?

Yes, a SCF and a PT absolutely changed the course of this team. You say that like we're swimming in Cups.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
How is it too soon to tell for Tavares but not for Ennis?

I'm genuinely confused especially since Ennis is not a big signing ?
Because Ennis is on a 1yr deal so even if he falls off the planet we got our $'s worth.
Now if J.T declines anytime before year 4-5 its gonna be an ugly deal.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Can Evgeny Dadonov count as a UFA on his comeback ?

Artemi Panarin

They did not leave an NHL team for another but most teams were in the race for them no?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Because Ennis is on a 1yr deal so even if he falls off the planet we got our $'s worth.
Now if J.T declines anytime before year 4-5 its gonna be an ugly deal.

You guys will be fine with Tavares barring freak injuries I'm pretty sure. Guy is a superstar

edit nvm you did not see the big signing part haha :)

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
But, has their production warranted the money they were given?
Suter at $7.5m has been worth every penny, especially for the last 3-4 years with a higher cap. Lights-out defensively and consistently puts up 40-50 points; on pace for over 60 this year.

From 2015-2017 Parise was all over the place with injuries, but since his back surgery last year he's been great. Should hit 30 goals and 60 points this year, if not more, and he's been one of our better playoff performers when healthy. He hasn't been as good as Suter, but right now having him at $7.5m is just fine.

The question has always been how the ends of the contracts will play out and it's still hard to tell. Suter could well live up to his contract until the very end, especially if the cap keeps going up. Parise's less likely to, but he's also more likely to end up on LTIR.

It's fair to question whether the time was right for that sort of deal and if they would have been better off waiting, but it's not like teams get a chance to make those signings every year. Especially a team like Minnesota. They haven't single- (double-?) handedly brought the glory Wild fans hoped for in 2011, but it's worked out well overall.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
For the real top free agents it's Hossa and Chara. They were instrumental in bringing Cups to their new teams.

I suppose you can make an argument that the Wild guys worked out well, though Parise's injuries put a big damper on his contract.

JT is off to a good start.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The success rate of UFA signings in the new NHL is not good. Which is why July 1 winners/losers lists are hilarious.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Federov signing by the Ducks was actually good (65 pts in 80 games in 2003-2004) even though it was a short stint.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Federov signing by the Ducks was actually good (65 pts in 80 games in 2003-2004) even though it was a short stint.

I think the OP was looking for guys who were good/great for the entire duration of their big deals. Fedorov 2003-2008 probably wasn't worth the deal that he signed. Fedorov made 10 million for 2003-04, then after the 24% rollback counted 6.08 mil against the cap back when it was 39/44/50.3. Brian Burke was more than happy to trade Fedorov to open up that cap space.

Reactions: Mallard

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Gaborik underperformed? What team are you watching?

Yes, a SCF and a PT absolutely changed the course of this team. You say that like we're swimming in Cups.
Ok, now I see the problem. You clearly have your expectations set way too low. Franchise changing would have been if they did what the Blackhawks or Kings did.

Gaborik? Haha. How did he do in the play-offs? Disappeared against washington in 2011 until he prevented Lundqvist from making a save in game in OT in game 4. Cost them game 2 against the Devils in 2012 which turned that series.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Suter at $7.5m has been worth every penny, especially for the last 3-4 years with a higher cap. Lights-out defensively and consistently puts up 40-50 points; on pace for over 60 this year.

From 2015-2017 Parise was all over the place with injuries, but since his back surgery last year he's been great. Should hit 30 goals and 60 points this year, if not more, and he's been one of our better playoff performers when healthy. He hasn't been as good as Suter, but right now having him at $7.5m is just fine.

The question has always been how the ends of the contracts will play out and it's still hard to tell. Suter could well live up to his contract until the very end, especially if the cap keeps going up. Parise's less likely to, but he's also more likely to end up on LTIR.

It's fair to question whether the time was right for that sort of deal and if they would have been better off waiting, but it's not like teams get a chance to make those signings every year. Especially a team like Minnesota. They haven't single- (double-?) handedly brought the glory Wild fans hoped for in 2011, but it's worked out well overall.
Even if I concede on Suter, no way on Parise.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Even if I concede on Suter, no way on Parise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->