"Big story" Dropped (Kadri/El Nino)

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Didn't realize he was asked to whiff on a bunch of chances. My mistake.

If it were a kid from Sweden making a throat slashing gesture to the Canadian bench, all hell would break loose, the Toronto papers would have been all over it, and journalists from all over Canada would be burning the kid at the stake. But because it was a Canadian kid, and worse, a Leafs draft pick, it's fine? Gimme a break. It was a stupid friggen thing to do, and not shaking hands is a poor show of sportsmanship.
Can Kadri be a great player? Yes. Has he been in this tournament, particularly the last few games? No. Does Canada need him to be, and do we hope he is tonight? Hell yes.

Wouldn't saying something (whatever it was) to someone on the ice that you wouldn't say off the ice be poor sportsmanship (pretty much the definition of it)? A handshake is a gesture of respect. If you don't respect someone because of their unsportsmanlike play, why lie? So the fans can go home feeling warm and gooey inside?

Clownpipe*

He probably called him a Toronto Maple Leaf.

Kadri needs to grow the hell up...little jerk.

:sarcasm:

Mach 9*

Murray: We're gonna take the Swiss kid who hates Muslims, that who you're looking at
Burke: Yeah
Murray: Yeah, we're taking him.

Burke: hey, I'll flip picks with you, the 31st overall Whites rights for your 1st
Murray: Nah, it's ok, were taking that one guy that really got Kadri out of his zone.
Burke : You can't mean... El Nino?
Murray: Oh so that's him name? Well he'll be ours
Burke **** you

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Haha Kadri is a tool. I don't want to start arguments but I have played travel hockey my entire life, and there is a lot of trash talking, but every time my team goes to Canada it gets out of hand. Fights every game up there, you guys just take it way too far. It's no different in the WJC, every year someone on Canada gets into controversy.

alienanton*

Haha Kadri is a tool. I don't want to start arguments but I have played travel hockey my entire life, and there is a lot of trash talking, but every time my team goes to Canada it gets out of hand. Fights every game up there, you guys just take it way too far. It's no different in the WJC, every year someone on Canada gets into controversy.

what are you, 12? lmfao

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Wouldn't saying something (whatever it was) to someone on the ice that you wouldn't say off the ice be poor sportsmanship (pretty much the definition of it)? A handshake is a gesture of respect. If you don't respect someone because of their unsportsmanlike play, why lie? So the fans can go home feeling warm and gooey inside?
There is a ******** of trashtalking on the ice. Pretty sure Kadri gets in his fair share. It doesn't come off the ice, nor should it.

A handshake is an entirely different thing. It is a sign of respect for your opponents, and the battle you both just came through. Some of the best moments in sports come at that moment. And yeah, the fans get a good feeling from it, but so do the competitors. It signifies the end of that battle, and leaves it on the ice.

alienanton*

i havent used the term 'travel hockey' since maybe the 5th grade. thats why i ask

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
There is a ******** of trashtalking on the ice. Pretty sure Kadri gets in his fair share. It doesn't come off the ice, nor should it.

A handshake is an entirely different thing. It is a sign of respect for your opponents, and the battle you both just came through. Some of the best moments in sports come at that moment. And yeah, the fans get a good feeling from it, but so do the competitors. It signifies the end of that battle, and leaves it on the ice.

Who said there isn't trash talking on the ice? That doesn't mean something wasn't said that crosses a line for Kadri. By no means is he required to leave that on the ice.

You're right, a handshake is about respect and if someone did something to lose your respect, why lie? I'd much rather someone draw their line than make themselves a liar. Maybe El Nino learns to grow up by someone showing him what isn't acceptable to them, though I doubt it. Funny how everyone tells the guy who had something done to him to grow up but no one says the same to the guy who did it.

Milan the God*

I hope they don't. I hope the Leafs do, though.

Imagine Kadri and Niederreiter as teammates? They would get over it.

Leafs don't have a first rounder.

Burke: hey, I'll flip picks with you, the 31st overall Whites rights for your 1st
Murray: Nah, it's ok, were taking that one guy that really got Kadri out of his zone.
Burke : You can't mean... El Nino?
Murray: Oh so that's him name? Well he'll be ours
Burke **** you

Leafs don't have a second rounder, either.

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
Gold medal game, consider yourself overshadowed.

Instead of watching it, my friends and I are going to have a round table discussion on media sensationalism.
Good choice of words..."media sensationalism"!

One of the realities at an event like this is that you wind up with a mix of sports reporters and local news reporters. Often times, the "newsies" find these little nuggets of meaningless BS and feel that it's newsworthy. Perhaps it is, but the "sports" reporters tend to understand the nature of the game and the intensity because they are more connected to the frequent coverage of athletics. Most (but not all) of the sports guys tend to ignore this stuff and get on with covering what the event is all about.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
i havent used the term 'travel hockey' since maybe the 5th grade. thats why i ask

I'm in college now chief, I played club until I was 18. I don't see what's so confusing about that...or are you Canadiens playing in special elite leagues in your early teens preparing you for the NHL? :sarcasm:

AK

May 31, 2008
Kadri seems to me like a smug, arrogant kid. I don't like him. He hasn't proven anything, but he acts like he has.

Wario Lemieux*

I think it was a secret Iluminatti Skull & Bones gesture signifying that he was going to go back in time and assassinate Jack Ruby Wilks Booth Jr. to defend the new world order against the shape shifting reptiles that did WTC.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Somehow this reminds me of the 2006 world cup of soccer in germany debate about
Zidane's Headshot on that italian player materazzi. Trash talking is
part of the game deal with it.

Given that apparently nothing racial was said in this case I fail to see the similarity. Trash talking is not an acceptable umbrella under which to put racial slurs, which is what Materazzi directed toward Zidane. Kind of how it's not cool that when Anson Carter was playing in Russia during the lockout he had bananas thrown at him/on the ice.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

I think this is a case of different regions/country using different terms for the same thing. In Canada, and I could most certainly be wrong, but isn't the "travel" part pretty much assumed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad