"Big story" Dropped (Kadri/El Nino)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
~~~~DO NOT GET INTO RACIAL DISCUSSIONS OR RELIGION IN THIS THREAD~~~~

And its a giant dud, Matt Sekeres, really?, How in the world was this going to overshadow the gold medal game:surrender :facepalm::facepalm:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ri-regrets-reactions-to-swiss/article1418983/

nazem Kadri admits he crossed a line with an inappropriate gesture, and says he regrets not shaking hands with a Swiss player who has become his nemesis.

But Kadri, a Toronto Maple Leafs draft pick, categorically denied that he was the victim of a racial slur at the world junior hockey championship, adding that his religion has never been used during the sometimes tasteless trash-talking that takes place on the ice.

“No, it wasn't,” said Kadri, a practising Muslim, when asked if a comment by Swiss forward Nino Niederreiter was about his heritage or religion. “Come to think of it now, I don't really take any offence to it. It happened, but I'm not worried about it.”

Suspicion was raised after Canada's 6-1 victory over Switzerland in the semi-finals Sunday, when the Canadian forward refused to shake hands with Niederreiter. Kadri said that the Swiss forward said something that he “didn't enjoy hearing,” but he refused to repeat it to reporters. Again yesterday, he refused to disclose exactly what was said.

“I think it was a little unsportsmanlike and, at the time, I didn't feel comfortable shaking his hand,” said Kadri, who plays for the Ontario Hockey League's London Knights. “I regret it a little bit.”

Asked if he has ever heard derogatory words about his religious beliefs, Kadri said: “So far, I haven't encountered anything like that. But even if anything was said, I don't think I'd be too offended or too bothered. People have their own opinions, and that's okay with me.”

Yesterday, Niederreiter said he was unaware of Kadri's religious beliefs but stopped short of apologizing for the comment.

“I don't want to say sorry because trash-talking is part of the game,” he said. “I think that on the ice it's alright, but when it's game over, it's game over. And that's bad if you do not shake hands and say, ‘Good game.'”

An International Ice Hockey Federation spokeswoman said the incident wasn't mentioned by either Canadian or Swiss officials in a postgame meeting of the tournament's executive governing body.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
I think this is a case where a journalist may have gotten ahead of himself and assumed it was racial and wanted to be the one to bring it to light.

Like I mentioned in the thread that got closed (and probably deleted), Kadri confirmed earlier today Nino didn't say anything racial. Nino didn't even know Kadri's background.

cenas*

"throat slash" Kadri is offended on ice. Kadri will fit nicely into the leafs.

stug*

So a story with perhaps racial and religion undertones may have taken place.
And in the opening post we are not allowed to discuss it.

Why start the thread then?

twenty7

Mar 12, 2009
Montreal
Somehow this reminds me of the 2006 world cup of soccer in germany debate about
Zidane's Headshot on that italian player materazzi. Trash talking is
part of the game deal with it.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Wait...the story is that some trash-talk which may or may not be about Nazem Kadri's religion happened, but no one can confirm 100% what exactly was said??

Am I missing something?

Stupidest story/article ever.

DOOMGUY*

It has to be a racial slur, WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE??? HURR DURR

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Kadri needs to grow the hell up.

Why? Unless I read wrong, the individual admitted to saying something he would never say off the ice. If that's the case and Kadri doesn't want to shake his hand, why should he? Last I checked, respect was earned. A handshake is a gesture of respect and if you've done something to forfeit that respect, don't go cry to mommy about it.

I'm forever amazed at today's society which prizes lying over honesty.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Why? Unless I read wrong, the individual admitted to saying something he would never say off the ice. If that's the case and Kadri doesn't want to shake his hand, why should he?

You really think Kadri is the only one who got trash talked? I don't know if you've ever played hockey, but every player on the team was probably told something they wouldn't be told off the ice. Trash talking isn't an isolated incident, it happens all game. And yet they all shook hands, and no one else had a problem shaking Nino's hand.

If Nino had said anything that actually made it okay for Kadri to not shake his hand, the whole team would have refused to shake his hand.

It seems like the reporter has done a fine job of tarnishing the reputation of El Nino thanks to the speculation from yesterday.

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
How is this a "big story"? It never revealed anything we didn't already know.

Terrible.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
You really think Kadri is the only one who got trash talked? I don't know if you've ever played hockey, but every player on the team was probably told something they wouldn't be told off the ice. Trash talking isn't an isolated incident, it happens all game. And yet they all shook hands, and no one else had a problem shaking Nino's hand.

If Nino had said anything that actually made it okay for Kadri to not shake his hand, the whole team would have refused to shake his hand.

It seems like the reporter has done a fine job of tarnishing the reputation of El Nino thanks to the speculation from yesterday.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. This reporter has sensationalized a non-story concerning two teenagers who had a tiff on the ice. It's pretty pathetic.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Please hilight where I said "Kadri is the only one who got trash talked".

At the end of the day neither you nor I know what was said. You also have nothing to suggest that is was something everyone else would have heard (which completely negates your second paragraph).

The only thing we appear to know for sure is that El Nino said something he would never say off the ice, through his own admission. What exactly that is is up for speculation but it is basically the only fact you have in this entire situation. If Kadri chooses not to show him respect because of it, that's his prerogative. If you choose to speculate when you have zero fact to back up your notion it was nothing, that's your choice but that's on you, not Kadri.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Why is this such a big deal? Shaking hands is such a meaningless gesture in hockey anyways. Teams fight to the death for 60 minutes and then are supposed to shake hands afterwards? I know that's how its supposed to work but I always thought it was more for show than anything else.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Gold medal game, consider yourself overshadowed.

Instead of watching it, my friends and I are going to have a round table discussion on media sensationalism.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Gold medal game, consider yourself overshadowed.

Instead of watching it, my friends and I are going to have a round table discussion on media sensationalism.
I don't know if I can bring myself to watch the game after reading this big story.

Matt714*

Mar 7, 2009
Repentigny, QC
When you trash talk with somebody that isn't of the same race or religion, it's obvious that you're going to insult them on that. :sarcasm:

The reverse race card phenomenon, when guilty whites see discrimination before the concerned group. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad