OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: No Man's Skyy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I have Shadowruns Returns and haven't played it. I'll get to it someday :laugh:

I have Divinity: Original Sin on my watchlist, but I'm waiting for it to get cheaper since I have so many games I haven't played already.

I really liked Pillars of Eternity.

I didn't enjoy Fallout 3 at all, so I don't plan to try Fallout 4. I don't like Oblivion or Skyrim or any of those games. In general, I prefer either action or plot, not world building and exploring. I don't mind doing it for bits at a time, but not like that. I like exploring in a game like Super Metroid or Ori and the Blind Forest. Even the older Final Fantasy games, where you could just fly around the world in a few minutes. But not in these massive worlds.

I haven't played any of the Deus Ex games. Actually, I got the original at some point, but it was well after it had been old. I just couldn't handle how dated it was at the time.

And I certainly don't need to limit to RPGs. I love a good FPS campaign. Bioshock are some of the best games of recent years. I really like good platformers too. I would kill for Capcom to start pumping out classic style Megaman games. Or some new Metroid games, Prime or Super style. Ori is the closest I've played in years, and it was fantastic.

Dishonored is one of the better recent games too. Its connected with the hub area, but could honestly play like an old style level 1, level 2, level 3 setup and be the same game.

IIRC Shadowrun Returns only took me 12.5 hours to beat and that's with a restart that probably padded that out for an hour and a half. It's definitely the shortest of the SR games, which makes it a solid intro. If you end up liking it, the other games are more of the same in terms of what made Returns great, but with a lot more to broaden the experience.

As for Fallout 4, I was going to talk about how much it improved the gameplay over the previous games, but if you fundamentally dislike exploring a large world and you didn't like any of the Bethesda RPGs, you won't like FO4 either.

Yeah, the original Deus Ex is very dated graphically. However, there are some really nice texture packs out there that actually make it presentable. Even so, I'd recommend starting with Human Revolution. Totally different character and plot so if you start there, all you'll miss are references and some little worldbuilding tidbits. Deus Ex is about as pure of an RPG as you'll find, whereas Human Revolution involves a lot more action. You mentioned Dishonored, which isn't all that dissimilar of a game tbh. If you remove magic and take away the assassination angle, the games play out similarly in terms of choosing violence or non-violence and the way you need to navigate big levels filled with lots of neutral and hostile characters. I'd also mention that it's an incredible game if you like noir, especially with a futuristic sheen.

Speaking of Dishonored, I didn't mention it before because I wasn't thinking of that game within the frame of being very recent, but I agree that it's a wonderful game. Dishonored 2 should be out fairly soon and it's looking great too.

As for FPSes, I'll just list a few that I really liked with a brief description.

Metro 2033 + Metro Last Light: probably the most atmospheric game I've ever played, incredible lighting and a great implementation of survival mechanics (ie, you need to change out gas mask filters every so often) and the setting is extremely unique.

Shadow Warrior: incredibly fun, irreverent shooter where you fight all manner of demons. You get a sword, which is both extremely powerful and so satisfying to use you can largely skip guns. Tons of ways you can upgrade your character too with different special abilities and weapon upgrades. Also, moreso than anything, it's super fun. The protagonist constantly makes quips that are genuinely funny and there are a lot of really silly sequences.

Hard Reset: same devs as Shadow Warrior, same tight gameplay mechanics, but different in just about every other way. It's much more bleak and not played for humor and setting is very dystopian, although you're not going to play this for the plot. One key negative I should mention for both games is that the enemies get pretty bullet spongy, especially in Hard Reset. It's not that annoying, but it's worth mentioning.

Call of Juarez Gunslinger: This game really caught me off guard. It's 10x better than I think anybody would have expected. You play as a character narrating a tale of revenge to a kid in a saloon. There are regular gun fights and duels against famous outlaws from the old west. The game packs nearly everything I enjoy into one package. It's incredible colorful - almost cell shaded. The levels are gorgeous (although it's very linear, don't expect to explore much), the gunplay is super tight, it's very humorous and the ending is great. Potentially the best part is that it's very short, I beat it in 5 hours. That's a bit on the short side for my tastes, but not a second in the game is wasted so it's 5 hours of really strong content.

The best part about CoJ: G is that there's a pack out there that frequently goes on sale for around $6 that includes it alongside Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, another very fun FPS. That one took me about 8 hours and I didn't enjoy it quite as much, but it's still very fun. It's too short to really have filler, but it's not as tightly paced as COJ: G, which does make sense as there's no concrete mission structure. You're plopped in a world, you know what you have to do and you go about it in whatever order you want. $6 for those two games is a steal.

Should also mention that everyone I know who enjoys FPSes raved about Doom. Can't vouch for it myself, but it looks like a very good single player experience. Played the multiplayer closed beta back in the day and really didn't enjoy it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The Metro games are sitting in my steam wishlist waiting for a sale. I'll have to look into the rest of those, they sound good.

Doom is one I want to play for sure, but I had completely forgotten about it. I just can't justify buying brand new games when I have so many games I haven't played yet. I buy everything once the price drops a few times. Single player at least. MP stuff I keep more up on since you kind of need to play them when they're popular. Lately, MP stuff has completely dominated my playing time, so I'm getting ever farther behind in single player stuff.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I played the PS4 versions of the Metro games. I found them to be alright. The first one could be really frustrating at times but was a more interesting experience. The second one upped the FPS element and was pretty forgettable.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I can't get past those huge beast gorilla type things in metro 2033. I try to sneak by and they get me or I run out of masks anyway. I try to run fast and they get me and you can't shoot and kill them.

So I quit haha. I was really enjoying it to that point. Haven't tried last light even though I have it because I wanted to beat 2033 first.

I also just started far cry primal and it's looking decent so far.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I can't get past those huge beast gorilla type things in metro 2033. I try to sneak by and they get me or I run out of masks anyway. I try to run fast and they get me and you can't shoot and kill them.

So I quit haha. I was really enjoying it to that point. Haven't tried last light even though I have it because I wanted to beat 2033 first.

I also just started far cry primal and it's looking decent so far.

Oh man, you were honestly pretty close to the end too. Are you playing the original Metro or the redux? As far as I understand, the original was a lot more finicky in terms of them attacking you when you were staring at them. In the redux, I didn't have much trouble with them.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Any witcher 3 players here? I highly, highly recommend playing it. Story is absolutely top notch. You get to make choices throughout the game which then give you one of three main endings. Theres something like 30 other minor endings where smaller events happen a different way. I didnt play the first two and still loved the third one.

PennDanzig

R.I.P. PIMP C
Mar 1, 2016
Any witcher 3 players here? I highly, highly recommend playing it. Story is absolutely top notch. You get to make choices throughout the game which then give you one of three main endings. Theres something like 30 other minor endings where smaller events happen a different way. I didnt play the first two and still loved the third one.

Witcher 3 is amazing. Both of the expansions are top-notch as well. Highly recommended.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I wonder if it's even practical to have that for personal use. My computer boots in a handful of seconds and I can play games like Witcher 3 with virtually no loading times. I'm sure that SSD is faster than mine, but I can't imagine how I'd ever realize the benefits in any tangible way.

Eh... there is certainly a diminishing returns argument to be made, no doubt. I don't even know if I'd recommend them to most for that reason. My brother just built a ridiculous system and installed one. Aside from being extraordinarily quick, they are tiny. Which is where I suspect the real appeal for most would be.

Oh and the new Shadowrun games rule, by the way. As does the newer Deus Ex games (or at least Human Revolution does... I actually never played the other two new ones). I'm actually finishing up a playthrough of Human Revolution, right now. I realize it got plenty of acclaim on release but I feel like that game is actually a bit underappreciated. It's actually, really, really good. Everyone bows down for the original (and I understand why) but HR is damned close.

Let's... just not talk too much about Invisible War.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
And man... I guess I'm kinda glad I waited on picking up NMS until my computer problems were figured (I'm just going to start from scratch). It sounds like they really under-delivered. Like... straight up lied, essentially. I feel like I'd probably still like it (though probably not love it) just... not 60 dollars like it.

Ah well. Happens all too often, it seems. On a positive flipside, I went back to Starbound after being really, really turned off by the early versions of it. I figured I'd have a look at the full 1.0 release. Damn... they, uh... obviously have been hard at work. Super impressed.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I have a bit of an issue with people saying that they lied...people took a grain of rice and turned it into something immeasurable. There was a lot of projection going on...people seeing a tiny aspect and extrapolating it into something technically impossible to do, namely thinking that 'procedurally generated' meant that anything was possible, that ship battles were a major aspect of gameplay despite barely being shown off at all, and that this was going to be a true multiplayer game when they had wanted it to be closer to the multiplayer aspect of Journey...it still seems they haven't actually even offered that, but it doesn't affect the gameplay at all. If you're looking for a space shooter where you can play space pirate, well, there's plenty of games out there catering to just that whim and that's never what they were marketing. After their big E3 showing a couple years ago I went into a media blackout until launch and had my expectations severely lowered due to, well, it's a studio of 15 people whose entire back-catalog consists of two Joe Danger games...but the game basically wound up being what I thought it was going to be.

I do have to say that ~25-30 hours in I'm getting a little wary of the lack of real variety, but...eh. I like it. It's a 7.5 game in my book. The hype level was definitely too high for the type of game it wound up being, but that's largely Sony's fault. Personally I don't have a problem with it being a full-priced game, but I can see a reason why some would see this as more of a $40 game instead of a $60 game. Those who are saying it's a $15-20 game, though, are ****ing idiots who seem to want everything they love to go bankrupt. This isn't a true indie game and this certainly isn't a true AAA game...it's tough to pinpoint where it belongs in the modern gaming landscape.

The PC version does seem to be inferior, though, which seems to always be the case for games designed primarily for a console.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Weren't they still using footage from an obviously-not-the-actual game version as recently as July? There also seems to be a distinct lack of, well... many things... that the developer (Murray?) was prattling on about. Maybe "lying" is a bit strong and in a lot of ways I absolutely do feel for them as it started off small and rapidly escalated into... this. I also very, very much agree that people were basically daydreaming about what they wanted and somewhere along the line just considered that reality.

I honestly haven't followed along as much since I saw a bunch of actual-game footage, learned that there was very little interaction or real variety with your ship and sorta just said "Eh... sometime later, perhaps." Like I said... I'm betting I'd still think it was alright. Just not full-blown retail alright.

And yeah... the PC version sounds damn near unplayable.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
As I said, I went into media blackout long ago, so I have no clue if they were using fake footage as recently as a month ago...but I really doubt that. Months ago, I can buy features disappearing, but last month? The game had already gone gold by that point.

The problem with video games is that deadlines and technical limitations exist...you may want something to work, but if it doesn't it's better to not have it in the game, than have a broken mechanic in the game. The easy solution to this is to just not promise wild dreams before you know you can actually do it.

There's no doubt that Murray's next game will come under heavy scrutiny...but I feel that people calling him the new Peter Molyneux are way off. At this point, at least.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well, yeah... of course it isn't a fair comparison. Peter Molyneux has made at least one great game. Probably two.

:D

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Theres still a bunch of features the developers said they would add. I think in 1 years time the game could be very different. All the attention they were receiving probably caused them to release the game before it was fully finished.

Also you guys should really consider using craigslist/Kijji for games. Meet in a public place if you are really worried about safety. In Canada games are almost 90 with tax but on kijji ive seen people selling them for 50-60 a couple day after release. I always buy nhl for a few weeks and then sell it when i get annoyed of it for the same price without losing any money. Only buy games from stores when they have ridiculous sales.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
This is a VERY long review, but it's the best I've seen. Things do change as development moves along, and thats understandable - everything is subject to change until it's released. There is a major difference between that and selling your game on fundamental concepts that don't exist, and this video does a fantastic job proving that, while summing up the games experience to a T.

mod: NSFW warning for language in the video, if it's anything like his standard reviews (which are awesome) - Big

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
A ton of people were expecting "No Man's Destiny" when everything and everybody said not to expect that.

The shining beacon of hope is that Murray said (a while ago, so not sure if it's still holding true) that all DLC, updates, developer mods, etc will be free of charge. The first big DLC is said to include base building and new ships.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That 'No Man's Destiny' thing is rather spot on.

I will say that despite having less issue with this being a full-priced game as most (what is a AA game supposed to cost when we really haven't had a AA game since early on in the last console generation? They used to cost just as much as the Final Fantasys and Legend of Zeldas of the world cost), I would feel cheated paying for DLC for this game.

This also does seem like the extremely rare game that I will go back to once I'm done with my initial burst. The lack of story and real goals makes it an easy game to come back to at any time...but we shall see.

Again, for me this is just a very relaxing game that basically lives up to what I was expecting it to be. If you wanted No Man's Destiny then this...well this isn't that.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I am finding the game rather relaxing to play. Very zen. If they can punch up some features and add a couple, for lack of a better word, "modes" I think it would really help put a layer of shine that it's missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad