Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
jobies-job-land-always-sunny.gif

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
For the people who have desk jobs, does their neck hurt from time to time? Mine has been killing me, and I'm not sure if it's because of the chair or what.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
For the people who have desk jobs, does their neck hurt from time to time? Mine has been killing me, and I'm not sure if it's because of the chair or what.

I don't really get neck pain but rather tension which leads to dizzy or lightheaded feelings at times. Actually tension in my shoulders is probably the cause. Sitting in the same position at a desk 50 hours a week can do that. For me it started a few years ago. I ride a bike to work and wrecked hitting my head (mildly and with a helmet on) on the road. I had tension headaches and dizziness in my shoulder and head for a long time after that. Sitting at a desk just exacerbated the problem. It's gotten better over time, but still creeps back from time to time.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

If anything hurts from my desk job, it's my mid back, from the terrible set-up I have to have with my computer. The desk and chair height won't match up with the (low) height of my monitor and I got scolded for using a box as a monitor stand.

Edit (Side Work Rant)- There really needs to be some kind of technical aptitude test when it comes to a computer when your job requires using one for more than 50% of your job.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Is your monitor at eye level? I used to have to put my monitor on a pile of books until I got a desk that had a raised shelf for it. Even if you're only looking slightly downward for it, doing so for hours on end could certainly cause a crick in the neck.

Actually that's part of the reason that I never use my 'work computer' unless I'm in a coffee shop or something...I have to look down to work on my laptop, which I don't have to do for my desktop.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
The job hunt is not treating me too well. I'm hoping to find something in the south hills or downtown. Almost all of my legitimate opportunities thus far have been in the north hills, that commute would be brutal for me, but at the end of the day I guess I can't get too picky. I'm planning on moving back in with my parents for about a year to save some $ and knock down on my loans. Depending on where I end up working I'd like to move closer to Pittsburgh or start fresh in a different city.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The job hunt is not treating me too well. I'm hoping to find something in the south hills or downtown. Almost all of my legitimate opportunities thus far have been in the north hills, that commute would be brutal for me, but at the end of the day I guess I can't get too picky. I'm planning on moving back in with my parents for about a year to save some $ and knock down on my loans. Depending on where I end up working I'd like to move closer to Pittsburgh or start fresh in a different city.

What industry?

Honestly speaking, the best thing I ever did for my life was move out of the Pittsburgh area. Granted, this was in 1999 when it was still kind of a ****hole, but the point being, spreading ones wings does wonders. You're young, go see new cities, new countries. You can always come back.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Is your monitor at eye level? I used to have to put my monitor on a pile of books until I got a desk that had a raised shelf for it. Even if you're only looking slightly downward for it, doing so for hours on end could certainly cause a crick in the neck.

Actually that's part of the reason that I never use my 'work computer' unless I'm in a coffee shop or something...I have to look down to work on my laptop, which I don't have to do for my desktop.

Yeah it's relatively at eye level, although I look down slightly. I also don't have good posture, so I assume that's a problem as well.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I wish I would have moved out of Pittsburgh when I graduated. Unfortunately I had a friend talk me into moving with him to just outside Bridgeville and taking a job in the South Hills that was supposed to be until I found a job in my field... 10 years later I'm still there :(

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That's why I always tell my students travel abroad and think about relocation or exploring new cities/jobs while they're young. The older you get, the harder it is to leave, especially when spouses and kids enter the equation.

I kind of lucked out in my early 30s, but not a lot of people do.

That said, there's a few people I know who did the major life reshuffle thing at a later date and are faring quite well, it's just much tougher.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I wish I would have moved out of Pittsburgh when I graduated. Unfortunately I had a friend talk me into moving with him to just outside Bridgeville and taking a job in the South Hills that was supposed to be until I found a job in my field... 10 years later I'm still there :(

Dude Bridgeville sucks :p:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That's why I always tell my students travel abroad and think about relocation or exploring new cities/jobs while they're young. The older you get, the harder it is to leave, especially when spouses and kids enter the equation.

I kind of lucked out in my early 30s, but not a lot of people do.

That said, there's a few people I know who did the major life reshuffle thing at a later date and are faring quite well, it's just much tougher.

Ever since I was a kid I intended on going to college in the western US, preferably in the mountains. Even if I returned right back to Pittsburgh that was going to be at least 4 years where I would get to see the world through a different lens. Best decision I ever made.

Mind you I love everything about Pittsburgh aside from the fact that my entire extended family is there, and everyone in my family hates everyone else in my family, myself included. The perks of a family business that nobody wants to be a part of... Sticking around Pittsburgh almost certainly would have meant I got tied up in the family business given that I was 22 when the economy went to ****. I'm in no better off a situation financially now than I would have if that had happened, but in 5 years I should be doing what I love for a living while the family business will almost certainly be shuttered.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Dude Bridgeville sucks :p:

NOW YOU TELL ME!!?!?!? :laugh:

I actually spent most of my time at a bar in Cannonsburg during that part of my life (had bar stools reserved for myself and 2 friends on Pens game nights). Sometimes I would hit up the old Rhythm House for some "backroom" poker. But I grew up in the Mon Valley and Bridgeville was 200% better than were I was. I was amazed I didn't have to drive 30 minutes to civilization. The novelty quickly wore off and to make it easier to leave there, I was laid off and moved back home.

I remember how optimistic I was out of college. I had resumes sent to all kinds of places (Chicago, Atlanta, Portland, San Diego). Those were the days :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Ever since I was a kid I intended on going to college in the western US, preferably in the mountains. Even if I returned right back to Pittsburgh that was going to be at least 4 years where I would get to see the world through a different lens. Best decision I ever made.

Mind you I love everything about Pittsburgh aside from the fact that my entire extended family is there, and everyone in my family hates everyone else in my family, myself included. The perks of a family business that nobody wants to be a part of... Sticking around Pittsburgh almost certainly would have meant I got tied up in the family business given that I was 22 when the economy went to ****. I'm in no better off a situation financially now than I would have if that had happened, but in 5 years I should be doing what I love for a living while the family business will almost certainly be shuttered.

Word, Big. You were at UM Missoula, right? My uncle's on faculty out there. Beautiful, beautiful town. I almost thought about doing grad school there but decided to stay in Chicago and eventually Prague.

I think the interesting thing about leaving Pittsburgh is it's made me appreciate it all the more when I go home. I spend a solid week usually just driving around the city and the area enjoying it, when years ago, I couldn't wait to get out of it.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
NOW YOU TELL ME!!?!?!? :laugh:

I actually spent most of my time at a bar in Cannonsburg during that part of my life (had bar stools reserved for myself and 2 friends on Pens game nights). Sometimes I would hit up the old Rhythm House for some "backroom" poker. But I grew up in the Mon Valley and Bridgeville was 200% better than were I was. I was amazed I didn't have to drive 30 minutes to civilization. The novelty quickly wore off and to make it easier to leave there, I was laid off and moved back home.

I remember how optimistic I was out of college. I had resumes sent to all kinds of places (Chicago, Atlanta, Portland, San Diego). Those were the days :laugh:

Well if you're comparing those two, then yes Bridgeville would be good :laugh:

I worked at the McDonalds in Bridgeville for 3 years, so I know the area pretty well. It's not too bad. My gf is from Bridgeville, so of course she loves the place.

I myself would love to move out west...or south...anywhere besides Pittsburgh :laugh: but she wants to be close to her family...sigh.

yay for being stuck here! :D

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Word, Big. You were at UM Missoula, right? My uncle's on faculty out there. Beautiful, beautiful town. I almost thought about doing grad school there but decided to stay in Chicago and eventually Prague.

I think the interesting thing about leaving Pittsburgh is it's made me appreciate it all the more when I go home. I spend a solid week usually just driving around the city and the area enjoying it, when years ago, I couldn't wait to get out of it.

Prague is about one of 5 global cities I'd take over Missoula.

And yeah, nothing will make you appreciate your home town like leaving it and then coming home.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
What industry?

Honestly speaking, the best thing I ever did for my life was move out of the Pittsburgh area. Granted, this was in 1999 when it was still kind of a ****hole, but the point being, spreading ones wings does wonders. You're young, go see new cities, new countries. You can always come back.

Finance. I'd like to get a job as an analyst and possibly attempt level 1 of the CFA next summer. To be honest my grades are pretty average so I think my best bet is to start at a smaller bank, I can't see PNC or a large bank like that hiring me without having some experience first.

I haven't ruled out financial advising (if there is a base salary) or other sales jobs, but for that it needs to be the right opportunity. I've applied to a few ticket sales jobs in cities I'd like to live in. I know that the pay kind of sucks, especially to start, but having a career working in sports is something I've always been interested in.

Basically I'm just kind of keeping all of my options open. I began the job searching process pretty late, I should have started sooner, but it took me a little while to figure out what I truly want to do career-wise. I still don't know exactly, but the picture is beginning to get a little clearer depending on which industry I end up breaking into.

And thanks, that's good advice. I have no intentions of living in my hometown for very long. Right now it seems like the right decision to stay at home until I'm more established. I definitely want to branch out in the near future though. I'd enjoy living in Pittsburgh, family and friends is a factor obviously, but really not the main reason about why I like Pittsburgh.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That1Kid - What do you want to do in finance? I work in corp finance for a relatively large bank so could give you some direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad