OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: I Have A Dreamcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ah man I still need to do that PSP mod (thanks Husker btw)...rough weekend, first time going to a Vietnamese wedding, the booze...so much booze and sea food then floor and not remembering.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I finally got around to watching Buffy and Firefly is next, whenever I finish Buffy. It's quite enjoyable, all of the enjoyment without any of the real time rage about things. Plus I can spoil myself easily if I so desire.

On the other had I got talked into watching the Expendables 1 and 2... I didn't care for them. Hopefully the 3rd one wasn't some revelation that I missed out on.

3rd one isn't too bad.

I've always wanted to watch Buffy and its been done for a while, I could always watch it and finally figure out the hype about it, heard a lot about Angel too. Are either of them on Netflix?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
sadly they aren't on netflix anymore.

Son of a...

Not sure which TV Shows to binge watch on Netflix now that I am done Daredevil (Fantastic btw)...

I've gone through Top Gear like 20x already and I miss those 3 old farts and I am still waiting word on their new show.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
3rd one isn't too bad.

I've always wanted to watch Buffy and its been done for a while, I could always watch it and finally figure out the hype about it, heard a lot about Angel too. Are either of them on Netflix?

They're both on Netflix Canada. :D

Son of a...

Not sure which TV Shows to binge watch on Netflix now that I am done Daredevil (Fantastic btw)...

I've gone through Top Gear like 20x already and I miss those 3 old farts and I am still waiting word on their new show.

We don't talk about the loss of Top Gear. :rant:

Even if I didn't watch the last couple of seasons and just got reminded, again, that I need to catch up on that.

I watched Hannibal fairly recently; I burned through Raising Hope (the final season doesn't need to be watched because it ended for a reason, tbh) and Happy Endings awhile ago. Nip/Tuck was before Hannibal and the X-Files is on there. I keep finding things I want to watch... me going through Netflix isn't a good thing. :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
the people in the apartment above me (who have barely made a sound aside from walking up the stairs) have apparently taken a liking to polka. But only ever like 2 songs at a time, then its done.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
A Buffy episode that i particularly like:

No polka here & two third of it is dialogue less.

definitely one of the best. Overall, I think I prefer Angel to Buffy. But Buffy had the best peaks. Hush, The Zeppo, Once More with Feeling and The Body are just incredible.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
The Body is also one of my favorites, as for Angel this one is way up there imho:

But my favorites maybe after Fred becomes an ancient bad ass evil goddess so i'll put out Shells & Time Bomb but the very last two episodes of the series rock ass too (Power Play & Not Fade Away).

Oh & still on season 5 (which i recently watched), Harm's Way & Smile Time are ****ing funny!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The Body is also one of my favorites, as for Angel this one is way up there imho:

But my favorites maybe after Fred becomes an ancient bad ass evil goddess so i'll put out Shells & Time Bomb but the very last two episodes of the series rock ass too (Power Play & Not Fade Away).

Oh & still on season 5 (which i recently watched), Harm's Way & Smile Time are ****ing funny!

I really wish Angel had at least one more season. I feel like it got cancelled as it was really finding its stride. Not that I didn't like the ending, but I would have liked it more a year later :laugh: well, not a year. I didn't watch it when it was actually on. I binge watched it all when it was still on Netflix. So I would have liked it more a week later :laugh:

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I really wish Angel had at least one more season. I feel like it got cancelled as it was really finding its stride. Not that I didn't like the ending, but I would have liked it more a year later :laugh: well, not a year. I didn't watch it when it was actually on. I binge watched it all when it was still on Netflix. So I would have liked it more a week later :laugh:

You weren't alone wanting more & the reason it got cancelled is somewhat stupid, involving Whedon & a clueless suit (who got fired afterwards) in a ego/power struggle. Here's what happened:

Cancellation
On February 14, 2004, the WB Network announced that Angel would not be brought back for a sixth season. The one-paragraph statement indicated that the news, which had been reported by an Internet site the previous day, had been leaked well before the network intended to make its announcement.[28] Joss Whedon posted a message on a popular fan site, The Bronze: Beta, in which he expressed his dismay and surprise, saying he was "heartbroken"[29] and compared it to a "healthy guy falling dead from a heart attack."[30] Fan reaction was to organize letter-writing campaigns, online petitions, blood and food drives, advertisements in trade magazines and via mobile billboards, and attempts to lobby other networks (UPN was a favorite target, as it had already picked up Buffy). Outrage for the cancellation focused on Jordan Levin, WB's Head of Entertainment. It was the second highest-rated program to be canceled on the WB.[31]

Head writer David Fury "guaranteed" that if Joss Whedon had not requested an early renewal, Angel would have been back for a Season 6:

The only reason that Angel didn't come back...it's a very simple thing. Because our ratings were up, because of our critical attention, Joss specifically asked Jordan Levin, who was the head of The WB at the time, to give us an early pick-up because every year they [would] wait so long to give Angel a pick-up [and] a lot of us [would] turn down jobs hoping that Angel will continue– he [Joss] didn't want that to happen. So, he was feeling very confident and he [Joss] just asked Jordan, "Like, make your decision now whether you're going to pick us up or not," and Jordan, sort of with his hands tied, with his back up against the wall, called him the next day and said, "Okay, we're cancelling you." Jordan's no longer there and The WB has since recognized...I believe Garth Ancier at The WB said that it was a big mistake to cancel Angel. There was a power play that happened that just didn't fall out the way they wanted it to. We wanted to get an early pick-up, we didn't. In fact we forced them [the WB] to make a decision, and with his hand forced he [Levin] made the decision to cancel us.

I guarantee that, if we waited as we normally did, by the time May had come around they would have picked up Angel. I can guarantee that.[32]

Angel's final episode, "Not Fade Away", aired on the WB on May 19, 2004. The ambiguous final moments left some fans hoping for the continuation of Angel and the Buffyverse in the future, hopes that came to fruition in November 2007 with the publication of the first issue of the comic book series Angel: After the Fall. The series is Joss Whedon's official continuation of the Angel television series and follows in the footsteps of the comic book Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight, whose first issue was published in March 2007.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I lied apparently. Angel, Buffy and Firefly are all back on Netflix. If anyone is going to watch both Buffy and Angel, either look up online the order they should be watched, or just watch Buffy first. There's only a half dozen or so times where it would matter, but they do occasionally spoil one-another.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
There is no scourge worse than the network suit.

x5agHAZ.gif

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
There is no scourge worse than the network suit.

x5agHAZ.gif

Yep, Angel sure got its share as attested by these 'producing' suits:

Fran Rubel Kuzui and her husband, Kaz Kuzui, were also credited as executive producers throughout Angel,[21] but were not involved in any writing or production for the show. Jeffrey Bell mentions in his DVD commentary during the closing credits of the Angel series finale "Not Fade Away" that two people were credited and paid for Angel without needing to ever step on the set.[22] Angel crew member Dan Kerns also revealed in an essay that two executive producers "received credit and sizeable checks for the duration of Buffy and Angel for doing absolutely nothing".[23] Their credit, rights and royalties for the whole Buffy franchise, which includes spin-off Angel, relate to their funding, producing and directing of the original movie version of Buffy.[24]

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They're both on Netflix Canada. :D

Perfect, me and my gf moved up to the great white north a whiles back. I haven't even checked it on my netflix. Wait, does it automatically turn mine into Canadian netflix because I live here now?

We don't talk about the loss of Top Gear. :rant:

Even if I didn't watch the last couple of seasons and just got reminded, again, that I need to catch up on that.

They are planning to release the episodes from this past season in the Summer.

May, Clarkson, and Hammond are likely heading over to Netflix since other networks are afraid of Clarkson & co angering car makers with their criticisms. So with Netflix, they will get away with a lot more censorship wise and they plan to call it "House of Cars"....yes, let it happen.

Netflix would be nuts not to. If they crunch the numbers that Top Gear generates revenue and viewership wise and the other goodies they bring with them with their popularity, it will increase their memberships quite a bit.

I watched Hannibal fairly recently; I burned through Raising Hope (the final season doesn't need to be watched because it ended for a reason, tbh) and Happy Endings awhile ago. Nip/Tuck was before Hannibal and the X-Files is on there. I keep finding things I want to watch... me going through Netflix isn't a good thing. :laugh:

I regret not continuing to watch Hannibal after season 1, but I guess now I have all of season 2 to watch at my own pace to fill in the gap for when nothing good is on.

I gave up on Raising Hope after season 2, the goofy shtick stuff just got annoying and tiresome after a while, same with Happy endings (cuthbert is a terrible terrible actress, about as bad as her husband is at playing Defense) and Nip/Tuck was a guilty pleasure that bordered on the insane for far too long but I don't regret watching that one bit.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Bates Motel season 1 is awesome...

Falling Skies only gets rolling by season two...

Defiance is good from the start...

...and i can't get enough of Veep! :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bates Motel season 1 is awesome...

Falling Skies only gets rolling by season two...

Defiance is good from the start...

When is Falling Skies back again?

I want to start watching Veep, I've had a crush on JLD since Sienfeld. Bates Motel, I watched Season 1, then just lost track of it but Season 1 was very good.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
When is Falling Skies back again?

I want to start watching Veep, I've had a crush on JLD since Sienfeld. Bates Motel, I watched Season 1, then just lost track of it but Season 1 was very good.

I rented Falling Skies so i can't help you here.

Happy for JLD especially since she kinda got screwed salary wise with Seinfeld. Veep is non-stop fun & you feel for her character 'cause she always end up getting humiliated. :laugh: Also love looking behind the curtains of the political show...

My hair rose for the first time in decades when i watched Bates Motel, probably got something to do with my love of the original Psycho (**** the remake!).

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Perfect, me and my gf moved up to the great white north a whiles back. I haven't even checked it on my netflix. Wait, does it automatically turn mine into Canadian netflix because I live here now?

It should because of your IP address... unless you're doing something to it. Don't accidentally leave something on and then be really confused about what Netflix is doing... it happened to a friend...?

They are planning to release the episodes from this past season in the Summer.

May, Clarkson, and Hammond are likely heading over to Netflix since other networks are afraid of Clarkson & co angering car makers with their criticisms. So with Netflix, they will get away with a lot more censorship wise and they plan to call it "House of Cars"....yes, let it happen.

Netflix would be nuts not to. If they crunch the numbers that Top Gear generates revenue and viewership wise and the other goodies they bring with them with their popularity, it will increase their memberships quite a bit.

Excellent. I thought it wasn't as good as it used to be, but hell yes for more. Netflix should jump on that and continue the quality of cinematography; all I ask for is less blatantly staged things and the 3 of them being involved.

I regret not continuing to watch Hannibal after season 1, but I guess now I have all of season 2 to watch at my own pace to fill in the gap for when nothing good is on.

Dude, the finale and other stuff. :amazed: It took until like half way through S1 (episode 6, maybe) for it to click for me but god damn is that show crazy. Season 3 starts soon and I'm excited to see what awful things they come up with.

I gave up on Raising Hope after season 2, the goofy shtick stuff just got annoying and tiresome after a while, same with Happy endings (cuthbert is a terrible terrible actress, about as bad as her husband is at playing Defense) and Nip/Tuck was a guilty pleasure that bordered on the insane for far too long but I don't regret watching that one bit.

The last season of Raising Hope was weak but I enjoyed it up to around that point... you probably managed to watch the prime of the show while I kept going. I think the showrunner left for season 4 or something because season 3 was a bit of a decline and then it fell off a cliff. Cuthbert and her almost husband in the show were the weak links for me, but the rest was great and they were manageable. I kind of regret watching Nip/Tuck once they left Miami, it just wasn't the same show after that.

Veep is ****ing amazing, it's made me wheeze from laughing so hard. The lipstick on the carpet. :biglaugh: The marathon. :biglaugh:

More people need to watch The Americans, it might be the best show on TV right now. It's so good and then you too can be angry about the lack of awards and mainstream popularity. Episodes is also on Netflix and season 1 of the British Broadchurch is, too. I keep finding things.

Happy for JLD especially since she kinda got screwed salary wise with Seinfeld. Veep is non-stop fun & you feel for her character 'cause she always end up getting humiliated. :laugh: Also love looking behind the curtains of the political show...

Fun fact: She's the daughter of a billionaire. But talk about a career having staying power with an Emmy in 3 different, consecutive decades. Selina is awful but amazing, like every character on the show except, maybe, Gary who isn't as awful as everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad