dezhd.gif

Last edited:

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Open hockey

So it's been a while since I've played.. And I wanted to get back into it and play some open hockey.. So I emailed the rink here and asked what kind of skill level the sessions bring and they said mid-senior.

What exactly does that mean?

For my Im not a great skater, and I'm not very good positionally (never had any real formal training).. But im not the worst either.. Just wondering if I would be able to hack it with those levels of players

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
Has anyone taken the Logic class at Pitt? It's one of the options you can take to fulfill the Q requirement for A&S. I'm taking two W classes next semester (major, non-major) and was wondering if I should hold off another semester until I have more time to allocate for it in the case that it's intensive. The other class I'm taking is Russian Fairy Tales.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Has anyone taken the Logic class at Pitt? It's one of the options you can take to fulfill the Q requirement for A&S. I'm taking two W classes next semester (major, non-major) and was wondering if I should hold off another semester until I have more time to allocate for it in the case that it's intensive. The other class I'm taking is Russian Fairy Tales.

It wasn't at Pitt, but Logic may have been the easiest class I took in college.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
I took a Logic class and a Discrete Mathematics class. They were pretty similar, but the discrete math class was about five times harder. Didn't go to Pitt though, so I guess my answer is "depends on what they teach".

penguins2946*

You mean the Arts and Crafts school? ;)

But seriously, my roommate is in discrete math right now, and he says it isn't that hard. We're nerds though, so maybe he's not the best source. Introductory logic classes aren't hard here, so I think you should be fine. I've heard of so many people taking Russian Fairy Tales, but I never signed up for it.

I'm planning my schedule around 15 credits a semester (dueling MechE and astronomy), so it really depends on how many credits you're taking if you want to take a logic class. If you're already at 15 or so, I wouldn't recommend it. If you're at 12, that would be smart. The add-drop period ended a couple Fridays ago, so you're pretty much stuck with what you got right now.

penguins2946*

Russian Fairy Tales? Is that really a class? lol

Yeah, it's a really popular elective at Pitt. A lecture of 300 is filled and a Saturday lecture has 24 of 25 seats filled this semester. It's really popular.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Russian Fairy Tales? Is that really a class? lol

I took a class called "The Religious Beliefs of Abraham Lincoln" at St. Vincent. It was great. Probably the best professor I had in 5 years. I also took a Mythology class where the professor talked about the older stories that were clearly inspiration for stories in the Bible. Being a catholic school, a few people got upset and tried to get him in trouble with the school. The prof was a monk in the adjoining monastery though, so obviously that didn't work :laugh:

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
Logic is essentially a math class, and math was easily my worst subject.

The highest math course I've taken is college algebra. I'm not feeling really confident about this class now :laugh:

Based on the responses it seems like Q classes will involve more math than I anticipated. It would probably be wise to take this while the math I took is most recent in my mind.

Russian Fairy Tales is popular because it can fulfil a cultural and literature requirement at Pitt. Unfortunately this isn't the case for most req's. If you thought this class sounded strange, I recommend looking at Vampires: Blood and Empire. The Slavic department has the most bizarre and awesome classes.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The highest math course I've taken is college algebra. I'm not feeling really confident about this class now :laugh:

Based on the responses it seems like Q classes will involve more math than I anticipated. It would probably be wise to take this while the math I took is most recent in my mind.

Russian Fairy Tales is popular because it can fulfil a cultural and literature requirement at Pitt. Unfortunately this isn't the case for most req's. If you thought this class sounded strange, I recommend looking at Vampires: Blood and Empire. The Slavic department has the most bizarre and awesome classes.

You don't really do math with numbers or anything. But its like a number sense thing. If this, then that. Its the same kind of thinking. There is a right answer and a wrong answer, not interpretation. Its more similar to proofs that you would see in a geometry class.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Just noticed Michael Shannon in "Groundhog Day". Mind blown.

Also, I love the smell of commerce in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad