OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: I Have A Dreamcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Sunshine is the reason I didn't get a GameCube :laugh:

The concept pissed me off so much that I went from wanting a GameCube to getting an XBox. I didn't get a GameCube until the Wii was out and I could buy the console and about 15 games for $100. The GameCube wound up having very few games that interested me aside from Smash Bros.

I bet you'd like Team Fortress 2. At least with friends.

In the right conditions you're almost certainly right...but those conditions require my childhood friends and I playing split-screen on my friend's TV after playing hockey. Hell, even if I could get the latter parts to align somehow I don't even know how to get a hold of most of my childhood friends anymore. Once I graduated high school I was done with Bethel Park.

Online multiplayer has never interested me in the least. Split-screen/couch or nothing, being with friends was 99% of the fun...which is why Smash Bros. & Rock Band were such huge parts of my college life.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
skype and other voice com things help a lot with making online games fun. But still require you to know people you are playing with to really be a positive.

I love competitive multiplayer though, regardless of who its against. I prefer to know who I'm playing with, but I still enjoy random online opponents too. I just wish there were more good games with random opponents but no teammates at all. More 1v1 type multiplayer.

League of Legends, and Hearthstone are both fun ones. But the random teammates part of LoL makes me play it pretty rarely. Starcraft 2 is fun, but I suck at it. CS:GO is good; I rarely get teammates that really annoy me.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
skype and other voice com things help a lot with making online games fun. But still require you to know people you are playing with to really be a positive.

I love competitive multiplayer though, regardless of who its against. I prefer to know who I'm playing with, but I still enjoy random online opponents too. I just wish there were more good games with random opponents but no teammates at all. More 1v1 type multiplayer.

League of Legends, and Hearthstone are both fun ones. But the random teammates part of LoL makes me play it pretty rarely. Starcraft 2 is fun, but I suck at it. CS:GO is good; I rarely get teammates that really annoy me.

DOTAs and gaming as a sport are two things that completely escape me.

The big thing preventing me from getting into anything multiplayer going forward is that most of my friends are writers...writers aren't gamers (video gamers, at least...most of them are into D&D...which I have never played and have zero interest in). Writers also don't really watch sports (I know one guy really into the Dodgers and one guy really into the Ducks, that's it).

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah... same boat with my friends. Nobody really plays games enough anymore to care about scheduling three hour+ blocks of time to gaming online on a regular basis. And I'm certainly not delving back into the cesspool that is "random online stranger" to pass my recreational time with. Since, especially with my luck, they are typically between 10 and 16 and mostly run around uselessly while screaming racial slurs and whatnot. Besides... my internet connection sucks.

I could probably still garner plenty of interest if I were to call up friends and tell them to come over, bring beer and snacks and we'll all sit in front of the massive TV, talk a bunch of **** and play some offline co-op (that isn't Nintendo-related -- sorry... just not fans of their offerings, anymore). Too bad that doesn't really exist, now. Which is a shame since huge HD flatscreens are now affordable and common. Not like back when you had to sit practically on top of your CRT with cardboard dividers just to play Goldeneye or whatever.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah... same boat with my friends. Nobody really plays games enough anymore to care about scheduling three hour+ blocks of time to gaming online on a regular basis. And I'm certainly not delving back into the cesspool that is "random online stranger" to pass my recreational time with. Since, especially with my luck, they are typically between 10 and 16 and mostly run around uselessly while screaming racial slurs and whatnot. Besides... my internet connection sucks.

I could probably still garner plenty of interest if I were to call up friends and tell them to come over, bring beer and snacks and we'll all sit in front of the massive TV, talk a bunch of **** and play some offline co-op (that isn't Nintendo-related -- sorry... just not fans of their offerings, anymore). Too bad that doesn't really exist, now. Which is a shame since huge HD flatscreens are now affordable and common. Not like back when you had to sit practically on top of your CRT with cardboard dividers just to play Goldeneye or whatever.

psh, cardboard dividers. Being able to pay attention to everyone's screen was a vital skill to split screen gaming.

Having played WoW for quite some time, I have a pretty good number of internet friends who I don't actually know, but play other games with now.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Oh... indeed it was. Too vital, really. Which is why we had to ban it. And if we're talking about Goldeneye, here... no Oddjob allowed, either. Or... I mean... you COULD, I guess. If you pitched a fit. But then you'd be "that guy."

I used to have a bunch of online gamer friends from the Battlenet days. But that was a really long time ago and I never transitioned over to newer online games that came out afterward like WoW with them.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't get the oddjob hate. He is the worst. His head is at default shooting level. Unless you're playing licence to kill, then he's just a dick.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We more or less only played LTK... so... yeah.

fair enough. LTK Pistols only was pretty awesome.

I don't think I've played Goldeneye once since Perfect Dark came out. It was just a better game pretty much all around. And the customization in its multiplayer is still better than most games coming out these days. Time Splitters 2 or 3 are the best options for the same style of game with duel shock controls.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
We tried a few years ago. A bunch of us still have N64s, working controllers and games laying around. But it's just... unplayable, really. You forget how rudimentary and frankly draconian the control layout is until you get your hands back on it. I mean... it was revolutionary and fine enough at the time (though I was the guy that would always kinda shake my head and regale my increasingly annoyed friends about the legend of the mouse and keyboard) but it's flat-out unworkable, now.

I agree, though... at the time... I appreciated Perfect Dark more (I was all about the laptop gun). I actually probably ended up playing that more than Goldeneye. Though many of my friends began losing interest at that point. Goldeneye was just kind of one of those rare games (no pun intended... but that was still pretty awesome) that even your frat-dawg, sports-obsessed, meatheaded buddies could enjoy, too.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We tried a few years ago. A bunch of us still have N64s, working controllers and games laying around. But it's just... unplayable, really. You forget how rudimentary and frankly draconian the control layout is until you get your hands back on it. I mean... it was revolutionary and fine enough at the time (though I was the guy that would always kinda shake my head and regale my increasingly annoyed friends about the legend of the mouse and keyboard) but it's flat-out unworkable, now.

I agree, though... at the time... I appreciated Perfect Dark more (I was all about the laptop gun). I actually probably ended up playing that more than Goldeneye. Though many of my friends began losing interest at that point. Goldeneye was just kind of one of those rare games (no pun intended... but that was still pretty awesome) that even your frat-dawg, sports-obsessed, meatheaded buddies could enjoy, too.

my college friends really didn't play shooters. The first weekend of college I played Halo with a few guys, but we ended up moving towards the Nintendo stuff. Smash and Mario Kart were the staples, but the sports games are a ton of fun multiplayer too. Tennis was the best, but Strikers and Sluggers were both really fun too. If you're looking for simple, stupid fun, set up 4 player Double Dash with the highest item settings and just play Baby Park. Its basically battle mode with a finish line. Smash 3 v 1 with the handicap set so the solo guy is really strong is also a lot of fun. It actually turned out to be pretty damn competitive for who would win, the 3 or the 1.

The only time I remember playing playstation really was 6 player NHL Hitz with two multitaps. It was epic. The first time I ever hung out with my now wife was playing Hitz in the lobby. I yelled at her for skating out of the net with the goalie. :laugh:

We tried Twisted Metal Black, but I was way better than my friends at it. We tried Tekken (because my one friend said how good he was at it) and I was way better than my friends at that too. Apparently I was the only one of my friends who did multiplayer gaming in high school.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Nintendon't = teh suk!

I keed i keed :)

Tekken rocked, Goldeneye aged sooo badly it should be renamed Goldenshower, Perfect Dark fared better.

I'm playing Doom2, kinda afraid of the 3rd installment on that BFG PS3 edition...

Started a Dragon Age Origins campaign, as a low-life Dwarven Rogue, can't wait to shove back those insults down those *******s throats! Also... I kinda wanna kill my **** head mafia boss already. :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
a lot of early 3D games have aged incredibly badly. Especially any that went for a realistic look instead of being more stylized. Mario 64 looks fine. Crash Bandicoot looks fine. But games like Goldeneye aged really really badly graphically, and the N64 fps controllers are just a nightmare. But at the time, they were the best ever done on a console.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
a lot of early 3D games have aged incredibly badly. Especially any that went for a realistic look instead of being more stylized. Mario 64 looks fine. Crash Bandicoot looks fine. But games like Goldeneye aged really really badly graphically, and the N64 fps controllers are just a nightmare. But at the time, they were the best ever done on a console.

True enough, one could even go as far as saying you're the living embodyment of that aging factor.

I keed i keed!

...and then some games NEVER age, take the WW1 fighter plane game on Intellivision's Triple Action cartdrige with great physics & gameplay or Artillery Duel on C64, countless examples of pure gaming gold.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space

This is proof that Ogre knows his **** & that sometimes, i'm just a jerk dog.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

All of this is true.

So many of my favorite games of all time have aged incredibly poorly...Final Fantasy VII being the flag bearer in every sense.

16 bit graphics still look awesome, in most cases. The early 3D games, on the other hand...
1991:
super-mario-world-2.gif

1995:
pd-1.jpg

I love me some Panzer Dragoon, but...yeah. That was sweet in 1995 and unacceptable 5 years later. Super Mario World is 24 years old and still looks gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad