OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: How To Make French Toast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
This may be a dumb question but does LA have Dunkin Donuts? I stopped this morning to grab some coffee and donuts and was surprised how late they're open and the menu they had. Decent stop if you're on the go and need a bite.

Nope, well technically yes, but not really. They're pretty much nonexistent in the west. They've started to enter the market, the third one in the state opened recently, and by next year there should be a healthy amount of them.

Donuts just aren't a thing in Montana, like at all, and the chains here look like backdrops for an ugly scene in a Tarantino film.

I have no clue why it's taken this long for them to make it out here, they're the same company as Baskin Robbins...and those things are friggin' everywhere (originally from here).

Sidney BrOSSby*

Locked in the Washer
Nov 28, 2007
Kampuchia
c8d.jpg

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I have a free breakfast coupon from Bob Evans. Who has 2 thumbs and it about to eat himself silly? This guy.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't know what the Hell a Bob Evans is, but after a cursory google search, I want one around here really badly.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
From scratch?
does bisquick count? I don't think it counts. And I don't bake bread for French toast. But its literally three ingredients to make basic french toast or pancakes from bisquick.
Man I have no ****ing idea how to make French toast.

You dip bread in eggs with a tiny bit of milk then cook it like a grilled cheese. Its the easiest thing in the world. I've even made it on a fire with a mountain pie maker when I was camping. Can only do one slice at a time though.

A griddle is the key to making breakfast easy. 20 bucks got me one that can fit 8 pieces of french toast at once.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Toss a little nutmeg, cinnamon and some vanilla into the egg and 1/2 & 1/2 mixture for some extra tastiness.

A griddle is the key to making breakfast easy. 20 bucks got me one that can fit 8 pieces of french toast at once.

Absolutely. This goes for all things breakfast, really. Bacon is so much easier to cook on an electric griddle than a frying pan.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Absolutely. This goes for all things breakfast, really. Bacon is so much easier to cook on an electric griddle than a frying pan.

I've never tried doing the meat on it. Does yours have some sort of decent grease trap? Mine has one hole on the front, but I feel like it would make a huge mess with bacon.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Heck yeah. That works great, too. I like a little bit of confectioners sugar to top mine.

That sounds awesome and I have no idea why I don't already do it :laugh:

Its not quite the same, but if I have extra egg mixture I'll whip it up like scrambled eggs too. I feel like having the cinnamon and stuff in that would be weird :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've never tried doing the meat on it. Does yours have some sort of decent grease trap? Mine has one hole on the front, but I feel like it would make a huge mess with bacon.

Oh, it'll toss some grease around. There is some cleanup involved, afterward. Though nothing that you wouldn't have to do if you cooked it on the stove. But the trap has never given me problems. I try to push the grease towards it with a spatula while I'm cooking so it doesn't build up too much.

Burgers are actually pretty damned good on an electric griddle, as well.

Its not quite the same, but if I have extra egg mixture I'll whip it up like scrambled eggs too. I feel like having the cinnamon and stuff in that would be weird :laugh:

Heh... yeah... I don't know if cinnamon-flavored scambly eggs would suit me.

That kinda reminds me of another breakfast favorite of mine... omelettes. Living on a small farm with chickens... having a farm egg omelette with fresh vegetables is just about as good as it gets. I don't think I'll ever buy store bought eggs again.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Oh, it'll toss some grease around. There is some cleanup involved, afterward. Though nothing that you wouldn't have to do if you cooked it on the stove. But the trap has never given me problems. I try to push the grease towards it with a spatula while I'm cooking so it doesn't build up too much.

Burgers are actually pretty damned good on an electric griddle, as well.

I'll have to give it a shot.

member 51464

Bacon in a cast-iron skillet is the way God intended bacon to be made.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
Bacon in the oven is great, actually.
But you gotta put it on a rack on top of a cookie sheet, like one of these:
531145%20

Another nifty way to make bacon is in a sandwich press or a waffle maker. The deep ridges funnel away some of the fat, and there is more contact between the heating elements and the bacon than any other method that I can think of. Very easy to control how crispy/chewy you want the bacon, and it stays flat, so it can be used for other culinary purposes, like putting it on a sandwich, or coating it in chocolate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad