TV: Big Little Lies

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That was a very good penultimate episode. I really liked the ending. Through most of the episode, it looked like it was all going to wrap up one way; then, in literally the final minute, it swerved in another direction.
To be more specific, it looked like Bonnie was gearing up to confess and that that would save Celeste. Now, it looks like Celeste will probably win without anyone's help because she'll savage Mary-Louise on the stand. Of course, the show is likely to add another twist in the final episode.

I'm interested to see if the Madeline and Renata story lines tie in at all, since, so far, they seem like side plots not really connected to the central drama. Madeline's story line (her infidelity and distance from Ed) seems like a loose end from Season 1 that needed to be tied off and Renata's (the bankruptcy) seems more like a vehicle to show her at her delightful worst and culminate with an amusing Arnie nanny reference. Season 1 did a good job of bringing all of the story lines together in the end, so I hope that this season does the same.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I hope Celeste beats Mary Louise in court and then Jane hits her in the face with a baseball bat.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I was somewhat against a second season and going past the scope of the book, but I figured it would be good and it was. Not as much a cliffhanger as the first season though since it was pretty predictable what would happen. Not sure if they've announced a third season and the series could end here, but all signs in the season two finale point to a third season.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The season didn't go as I expected (I expected Mary-Louise's aim to be to root out the murderer), but it was good. It ended much differently than the first season, opting to resolve the sub-plots, some in very satisfying ways, rather than going for a twist and leaving them hanging. If this was the final season, then the series ended in a good spot, but they left it hanging just enough in case they want to do it all again.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I loved each scene with Laura Dern. Meryl Streep it seems was playing herself?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Nicole Kidman is somehow as beautiful as ever.

She is definitely not as beautiful as ever. Unless you feel being a victim of plastic surgery overkill is a good look.

It was distracting to see her face barely move and there is something extremely uncanny about it.

Dr Frasier Crane

Oct 16, 2008
Boston, MA
I hope they do a 3rd season for a couple of reasons: 1) it's a really good show and 2) I need explicit resolution. As it stands now, the Monterrey 5 marched into the police station to explain/confess/whatever you want to call it, rendering the main storyline of the season, Celeste's custody battle, meaningless.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I hope they do a 3rd season for a couple of reasons: 1) it's a really good show and 2) I need explicit resolution. As it stands now, the Monterrey 5 marched into the police station to explain/confess/whatever you want to call it, rendering the main storyline of the season, Celeste's custody battle, meaningless.

It does seem a little strange that the custody battle was the main storyline, since it wasn't really directly related to Season 1. After the first episode, I expected Mary-Louise to be on a mission to discover the truth behind her son's death. I think that that might've made for a bit more exciting and natural follow up to Season 1. They could've always done the custody battle in Season 3, giving them a reason to bring Streep back. Oh well. Besides that, they also dropped the Madeline/Mary-Louise exchanges after only the first few episodes, which was disappointing. Overall, I think that some potential for a "great" season was missed, but it was still a "good" season.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
She is definitely not as beautiful as ever. Unless you feel being a victim of plastic surgery overkill is a good look.

It was distracting to see her face barely move and there is something extremely uncanny about it.
Nah she looks gorgeous and I've never really found her attractive before.

Season was a bit disappointing but still decent!

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Was a good finale. Kind of left me hanging though. Laura Dern was the best.

I find this season lacked the darkness and mystery that Jean-Marc Vallée is famous for.
Have a look at Sharp object to see what I mean.

I hope they reunite for a third.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I heard that was it. Probably can't afford to pay all these great actress'

however, HBO may say this to see if there was enough complaints for them to make another season.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Amazing season again.

Just read that a main character was originally suppose to die in the finale and was in the script but they changed it last minute. Doesn't say who it was.

I think its 50/50 on a 3rd season(leaning toward not if they decided against a huge cliff hanger of someone dying), they could certainly end it there and i’d be satisfied. Or they could show how them confessing plays out too.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I thought the season was pretty good and I enjoyed it just as much as the first season.

I don't think they'll do another season and I'm ok with that. I think it's fine to leave it where it left off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad