TV: Big Little Lies

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Watched this from start to finish yesterday.
Enjoyed it quite a bit.
Really glad I didn't read this thread, though, until I was completely done.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
Just watched this show. Really enjoyed it. Felt dumb for not figuring out Perry was Ziggy's dad. My mind was blown when Jane gave him that look.

Watched the season after knowing there'd be a season 2 and before knowing it was supposed to be a miniseries. But as I was watching, I was thinking how they'd do a second season with this form of storytelling that relies on past and future events to build up to that finale. But hey, Meryl Streep!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm a little surprised that this is getting another season. I figured that it was a one-off because it'd be hard to get all of those actors again and it would seem implausible to have another event of such magnitude happen to a bunch of school moms. I'm not disappointed, though, because that first season was really good. It's hard to believe that it's been over two years.

Edit: Wow. It's not even two months away (June 9th).

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They didn't make Meryl Steep into that imposing of a figure, yet that last line is killing me slowly inside

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Season 2 premiered earlier tonight. Meryl Streep steals every scene that she's in. Her scenes with Reese Witherspoon, in particular, seem like they'll be some of the highlights of the season. I'm not sure where the season is going, but my early guess is...
...that Mary Louise (Streep's character) will try to get to the bottom of her son's death while the other moms try to thwart her and protect Bonnie.

BTW, it's listed as Episode 8 instead of Episode 1. That confused me at first when looking at the schedule.

Edit: I'm watching Deadwood and it's funny seeing "Jane" from that playing Celeste's psychologist. What a contrast of roles.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
When Madeline and Mary Louise have their ruckus, folks, I will be here all day that throwdown

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Meryl Streep can sure scream with the best of them. Good first episode, should be fun. Looks like Bonnie is having second thoughts.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
When Madeline and Mary Louise have their ruckus, folks, I will be here all day that throwdown
Their interactions cracked me up. There were a few moments in general that I actually had a good laugh at. So far, so good. Seems like the second season should play out well.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That was one heavy episode. I hope that next week's is a little more light-hearted. If there's one thing that I hate, it's my shows about lying, cheating and killing being so serious. I also need more Madeline-Mary Louise interactions.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Celeste's mother-in-law sure is screwing up everyone's life. Great episode, lots of swearing too. :laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Resse Witherspoon is the best actress in the world today. The best.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
This season is kinda boring imo. Last season was much better.

The actresses in this show are legit though. Nicole Kidman is somehow as beautiful as ever.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This season is kinda boring imo. Last season was much better.

Last season was really unique in that we knew that someone killed someone else, but we didn't know either. This season is more of a straight drama than a mystery, so it's not as different and fresh. I wonder, though, if the visions of Bonnie drowning are setting up a mystery of who kills her. Wow, I just realized that there are only 3 episodes left.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It was looking too good to be true for Jane.

We probably should've figured. He was too perfect for this show in which every character is either flawed or broken in some way. Also, was that Madeline's lover at the bar and were he and his date trying to seduce Ed for a three-way? For some reason, that creeps me out more than "Curly" potentially being bad news.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We probably should've figured. He was too perfect for this show in which every character is either flawed or broken in some way. Also, was that Madeline's lover at the bar and were he and his date trying to seduce Ed for a three-way? For some reason, that creeps me out more than "Curly" potentially being bad news.

I thought it was but they shot it weird (on purpose). The whole last 20 seconds were. I figured something was up with him because he was the one who made the 'Monterey Five' comment to Jane, and then she reported it back to the other women in the car, but then it was never addressed again

Dr Frasier Crane

Oct 16, 2008
Boston, MA
Should we assume that the kid bullying Ziggy is Corey's brother? How would "his brother" know details about how Ziggy was conceived, otherwise?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Should we assume that the kid bullying Ziggy is Corey's brother? How would "his brother" know details about how Ziggy was conceived, otherwise?

That seems like a solid deduction. The bully even says that he heard that Ziggy's mom is "hot," and Corey obviously thinks that she is and might've communicated that to his brother.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad